Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

4 Years Removed From Gallbladder Surgeryand the Pain Is Back

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Wow in the last 4 months the pain in my gallbladder area is more intense now than it was 4 years ago when I had it removed. I have been to my family dr on numerous occasions and she has run so many different test on me that I cannot count them all. Test after test all come back negative. It has come to the point that my dr has said there is nothing else that she can do. I am kind off at a loss here has anyone one else out there experienced such problems so far removed from from gallbladder surgery and I you have what the heck did you do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Endsweep
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 7th, 2005
I just had mine removed so I don't have an answer but will bump this for you so someone will hopefully answer.......
|

replied April 30th, 2005
Hidascan With Cck
My 13 year old daughter has been having pain in her right rib area for 15 months. In january she had exploratory surgery and her appendix removed. She has all the classic symptoms of gall bladder disease. She has had 2 ultrasounds and no stones or sludge was found. She has had 2 hidascans with cck injection and both results were under 10% function. The Dr. Wanted one more function scan done with her eating a fatty meal instead of the cck injection, we did that yesterday and the results came back that she has 60% function. I am so confused about this. I feel like we are back to square one with her pain. Has anyone ever had the test done both ways with such drastic differences in the results? I am curious as to which test is the accurate one.
|

replied April 30th, 2005
Anonymous
Gallbladder Pain 4 Years After Surgery
I know what you are feeling I had my gallbladder out almost 4 years ago too, now I have as much pain as I did before surgery. I also have had elevated liver enzymes, however the Dr. Can't find any thing wrong. I have had a ct scan, an endoscope of my stomach and still nothing. If you find out what is causing your pain, let me know maybe I have the same thing.
|

replied April 30th, 2005
Guest Msg From 04/30/05
The above message is from me, I was not registered when I posted it. :oops:
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Gallbladder pain STILL after 10 Years!
I have had my gallbladder out for 10 years now, I was 17 when it was removed. Last year in 2008 I started getting them even more severe then when I had the gallbladder. They did a endo on me and found out I had H. pylori in my stomach, so I had to take meds for that for two weeks and finally got rid of that. Thinking that everything was better and no more pains, Right then a huge attack, I could bearly breath, went to my stomach Dr. (BTW- always go to the gastrointestinal Dr. NOT the primary care for problems like this) My Dr. did an ERCP on me and came back that I had sludge in my bile duct. He cleaned it out and then for sure I thought everything was fine, but in August I had the worse pain ever, went to the ER, they took me right in and My stomach Dr. admitted me right away. I thought I was going to die, nothing could take the pain away. My enzymes were up all, my electrolytes were off balance, my whole body seemed to be off wack. But they could not find nothing. My DR. was puzzled. Now he thinks I could have an electrolyte imbalance that could be causing the pain. The last thing he did on me was an MRI with contrast of my liver and bile ducts, pancreas. My Husband lost his Job and medical insurance.... to this day I still don't know what my MRI reads. So I guess I will have pain until I die or get new inurance. Darn Gallbladder!
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Gall Bladder Pain!
Hello,
I had my Gall Bladder and a Nineteen Millimetre Gall stone amongst little ones removed in October 08. It is now March 09 and the pain has returned to the same intensity as it was before the Gall Bladder was removed. I seen my doc today who said it sounds like Cartilage or something to do with the chest wall. I am having my Ultra Sound and Xray's tomorrow. Oh I am not sure I can put up with this pain all over again. It also hurts when I breathe out. Hopefully we will all get the answers we need. The other thing is there is somewhat associated pain in my right breast which the doctor said sounds strange and disregarded it. I honestly feel it is to do with the Gall Bladder. Perhaps even the clips rubbing or digging in. The pain is in the exact same place as where it first started way back when. Which is transferred pain under the right armpit near the breast.
Deb Smile
|

replied March 27th, 2009
Gall Bladder Pain
I too have had it removed in 2008 and now is back. I too have the pain under my right arm pit. It hurts to wear my bra, got bigger bras and it does not help. I also have high WBC's which the dr. can't figure out. Going to see a GI dr. next week maybe I'll find something out, but after reading all these posts...I don't know.
|

replied March 28th, 2009
i to had mine out july o6 having pain under right rib cage hurts bad tender to touch no one listens been 4 years now i can be in pain for 3 or 4 weeks at a time have no insurance now husband got laid off alot of people having same proublem urin changes to dark color with white settlings in bottom
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Results for Gall Bladder Pain
Well my tests ended up coming back negative... so I am at a loss. Although the docter is saying that it could be an Ulcer or a cracked Rib. But we ruled out the cracked rib as I have had my Gall Bladder pain for three years off and on. Which means it couldn't possibly be a cracked rib which heals in so many weeks. I must say the pain started to go away after he put me on some Ulcer tablets but they made me have the runs chronically which was more than enough for me to stop taking them. Now the pain is slowly setting it's way back in. I hope this helps! Perhaps a Stomach Ulcer. Oh I don't know I just want the pain to stop. I cried in front of the docter when he told me my blood, Xray and Ultra sound were all good. I should have been happy, but I feel like nobody understands and perhaps think I am making it up. I need answers!!
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
My Results Too
I went to see another Dr. who is a GI and specializes in the Liver as well. She said from the ultrasound I had done that I have Fatty Liver Disease. You can get this one of two ways. The first is by being a drinker. The second is from being obese. Since I donâspam�t drink but a few occasional glasses of wine the second is more likely since I am overweight (about 100 lbs). The fat causes the liver to become inflamed and this can cause scaring on the liver and eventually lead to cirrhosis of the liver. Cirrhosis can lead to liver failure. There are ways to help this and of course the first one is to loose weight and the extra fat on the liver will also dissipate. Any scaring will remain but it will help. So Iâspam�m going on a strict diet and loose this weight. The thing that really was sobering was that she used the obese word and said that if diet and exercise does not help me loose the weight I might want to check into Lap band or gastric bypass surgery. Wow that hit me kind of hard. I knew you could drink your self to death but I didnâspam�t know that overeating could cause the same effects. Some of the rest of you might want to look into this as a source of your pain as well. Especially you with the dark urine! I hope this helps some of you and Iâspam�ll keep you posted if I find any more out
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
gbpain 2
Bodytrim is an awesome program for losing weight. Most people I know lose 3 kilo's in the first three days. Smile
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Yahwehsovercomer
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm also having a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy because I'm at that age and just to check to see if there may be something else to cause the pain. I'm not looking forward to this at all. But I guess that if all clear I will not have to have another for 10 years. I had a lot of pain this weekend with a lot of bloating as well. I just want it to stop hurting!
|

replied April 6th, 2009
gbpain2
Yw, I hope that all goes well for you. Sorry to hear about your pain and bloating. I know exactly how you feel! On a positive note, I have been doing the body trim for two weeks now and I have lost a few kilo's but the best part is the energy I have. I highly recommend it. Basically it's 6 protein meals a day every three hours. But if you are still hungry you can have a portion of meat every hour. Or a little tin of tuna, shaved chicken, ham etc. No carbs after three days you can add one piece of toast to your brekky with your egg and bacon. I have seen it for $50 on ebay whereas I know my sister bought it for $160.00. I have been chronically tired for many years and I feel that I am starting to get back to my old self minus the gally pain roglol. Hope all is well with you
Take care
Smile
|

replied April 9th, 2009
Yahwehsovercomer
I looked for body trim here in the US and it must be only in your country. Congradulations on loosing the kilos. Even a few helps! I am just eating much smaller portions and cut out snaks and fast food. I have lost about 5 lbs this week just doing that. There is still a lot to go but it is a positive start! For both of us. If I find out anything from my appt on Friday I will pass it along.
|

replied August 26th, 2009
Pain 4 years after gallbladder surgery.
I, like all of you had GB surgery (abt 4yrs ago) Been through all test listed above. I have a knot in my side where GB was. All doctors say it's scare tissue. Can't find anything in any of the test results. I am not over weight more than 10 lbs. Eat healthy, exercise, and take care of self. I saw on TV, a woman had a cyst setting top her kidney causing this pain. I also have pain through to my back where I describe as top of kidney or bottom of lung and up my shoulder. I have IBS also. I have my yearly physical with results being slightly high BP. I take a low doseage BP pill each morning. Guess we're all in the same boat. Nothing wrong with us when we know there is.
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Gallbladder Removal of 3 year old. Now 6 and so much healthier
My daughter had her gallbladder taken out at the age of 3. When removed the surgeon informed us that she could have phantom pains like amputees have. They can still feel pain even if it is not there. She had 0% function of gallbladder when removed. Most horrible experience. We have discovered there are some foods that she cannot digest. Still has a "fake" attack every now and then. Not nearly as severe and only last about 30 minutes. Have found tums are her new best friend. Even though she still has problems now and then she is so much better off. Hang in there! My suggestion would be to start keeping track of what you are eating for a few weeks and see if there is something in common triggering it. She can't eat hot dogs. If she does we know she will have pain. Took almost 3 months to figure out it was her gallbladder. All test were normal except for the hida scan. Be persistent everyone if you suspect it.
|