I'm wondering if I have ocd. I can't seem to stop cleaning. I get nervous if the beds aren't made. I get anxious if there are any crumbs on the floor, I can't relax until everything is clean and then the next day, it starts all over again. One day I saw a string on the floor and I thought i'm going to leave it, but I couldn't all I could think of was that I needed to pick it up and throw it away, I could not stop thinking about it or looking at it so finally I picked it up. Do I have a problem? If so, what can I do about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 27th, 2005
Definitely would be ocd... Obsessive compulsive comes in a variety of severities - yours sounds like more of an annoyance than anything severe. My mother is the same way, but she's never sought out treatment which I think is a shame because she's been held hostage to her compulsions her whole life. She's even convinced herself she's happy living that way which I think is untrue - its not healthy to be like that.

You'll have to decide for yourself, but I think going to a therapist is a good starting point. At least talk to them about it, and they could give you techniques on how to free yourself of that mindset. In addition, they may be able to dig into some deeper issues, childhood issues, etc and give you a better understanding of why you are the way you are.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...