Has anyone done this? I'm interested in doing this for my firstborn but am curious as to what you guys think.

Tia!
Beth
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2005
Community Volunteer
I was looking into it also but it's a lil expensive.
|

Extremely eHealthy
It is expensive. If you have the money go for it. If you don't have the money I wouldn't do any crazy financing for it. Unless baby or other family are at high risk for diseases etc that cord blood would help with.
|

Experienced User
Euhhh.. What are you guys talking about? I feel like this may be a blonde moment for me...
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
lexiee wrote:
euhhh.. What are you guys talking about? I feel like this may be a blonde moment for me...

you can put your baby's umbilical cord in a blood bank for any future "problems, stem cells etc... It's quite expensive.
|

Experienced User
Ahhh I didn't know that. You would think they would do it automatically....
|

replied April 12th, 2006
I've seen the cost to having my baby's cord blood saved, and it shocked me too! I'll be applying for a new credit card with 0% apr (hopefully for a year) and the wife and I won't go to starbucks as often and a few less dinners, out at a restaraunt, a month should do the trick and pay for it.
|

replied April 12th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Maybe I heard wrong, but, can't you do public banking... I guess where it's used for anyone who needs it.. Maybe there's a waiting list of something. I don't really know. Lol. Anyway, I heard it's the private banking that's expensive.... And that if you don't need it after a certian amount of time, it's no good anymore anyway.
|

replied April 13th, 2006
I used to donate my blood..To the red cross, until I found out that the ceo makes over $200 grand a year off of free blood.
I thought about donating the cord blood, until I found out the bank can use it to sell it to research or sell it to someone who needs it. You give it for free, you do not recieve it for free. - sucks huh?
I found out that in a public bank, over 50% of their stock gets tossed anyway...This one in particular does not freeze the blood.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Why Is It Expensive?????
Why is it expensive?????

Although expensive or not I will be doing just that if I ever have babies!!

My father has multiple mialoma and having a stem cell transplant is what has kept him around for a few more years and I am forever grateful!!!
|

replied April 14th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
That's fantastic, but not everybody can afford it. No matter how badly you want to do it, money doesn't fall from the sky. And people who have no family history of problems and who have no threats of problems for their children are most likely not going to go into debt trying to bank cord blood.
|

replied June 9th, 2006
I want to bank too – but it is very expensive. I found a very cheap cord blood banking lab located in purchase ny. Honestly, at first I was weary of them because they are basically half the price of the other more popular labs . . . But after I called and talked to them and did other research I think I have decided to use them for sure. They are local to the ny area but they will store from other parts of the us for additional shipping fees. . . But it still comes out much cheaper. They are affiliated with new york blood center. . Which is one of the oldest cord blood lab centers around. They are also licensed by the ny department of health. They are called maze cord blood. Has anyone else heard of them?

Suzanne
|

replied April 16th, 2014
Donating to a public bank is free
Donating to a public bank is free and often overlooked. It can help out so many people.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...