Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Outdated Diet Pills

I have pills that are dated aug. 2003. Does anyone know if these are safe to take. And will it effect how well they will work? Thanks!!! Daydreamer33
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 25th, 2005
Experienced User
Most expired medications won't physically hurt you, but I doubt it would be very effective. Most ingredients have a given shelf life. They break down over a period of time. The expiration date is usually the point where the ingredients would have broken down enough to not be effective as it should be. I would ditch them. If it was only a month or two ago, it probably would be fine.. But that's a long time ago.
|

replied January 29th, 2005
Experienced User
Depends.

A) which diet pills are they
b) were they exposed to oxygen (open bottle)
c) were they exposed to light?
|

Experienced User
Depends.

A) which diet pills are they
b) were they exposed to oxygen (open bottle)
c) were they exposed to light?
|

Outdated Diet Pills
The pills are called thermal carb. Have you heard of them? They contain ephedra. I know that ingredient is supposed to be dangerous, but they really do help me to lose weight. They are outdated, but they have been in my cabinet, unopened. They have not been exposed to light or heat. I was just wondering if they would be safe to take and will they still be effective? Thanks, daydreamer33
|

replied January 30th, 2005
Experienced User
Ephedra is perfectly safe and fine to use, as long as you use the appropriate dosages, and do not have any blood / heart complications. (i.E. High blood pressure, or high cholestorol.)

it's extremely effective when applied properly, and less dangerous than a birth control pill.

Unopened from mid-2003, it'll be fine and still be around 90% effective or so.
|

replied January 30th, 2005
Outdated Diet Pills
Thank you justin_toronto. You sound very knowledgeable. Are you a Dr.? I really appreciate your quick response to my question. Have a great day. Take care and god bless you!!!!!!! Daydreamer33 :d
|

replied February 22nd, 2005
I have a quick question:
i use ephedra as well but I never take it before exercise because i'm scared of my heart beating too fast. So if I exercise in the morning, then I take a pill in the afternoon and vice versa. Is it safe to exercise while the pill is acting up or is it dangerous (hear attack wise)?
Thanks.
|

Experienced User
ladymarmalade99 wrote:
i have a quick question:
i use ephedra as well but I never take it before exercise because i'm scared of my heart beating too fast. So if I exercise in the morning, then I take a pill in the afternoon and vice versa. Is it safe to exercise while the pill is acting up or is it dangerous (hear attack wise)?

Thanks.

hi ladymarmalade... The short answer to your question is, that is fine. Just don't take the ephedrine around 4 hours prior to bedtime as you'll have difficulty sleeping. If it is safe to exercise while the ephedrine is active depends on how much stress your heart is under. (i.E. How much overweight are you? Do you have a high cholestorol? Any heart conditions such as a murmur?)

the long answer is: in general, ephedrine should be taken 3 times per day as it has a very short half-life.. (in other words, it is only effective for a short period of time). It should also be taken with the proper dosages of aspirin, and a caffiene pill to help with the results. Also have to make sure you're using the proper mg dosage. Some people are best suited for 25mg per day, but most use 75mg per day.

Let me know a few things:

- height
- body fat %
- any heart / blood complications?
- what time do you do cardio?
- how many mg per pill is the ephedrine?
- what side effects do you personally usually get from these pills?

And I will be able to provide more specific advice and make sure you're using the pill safely.
|

I am 18, 5'7, 67kg. I'm not sure of my b.F.%. I don't have any heart problems, but I have diabetes type 1. Each pill contains 20 mg ephedrine, and my side effects are anxiety, loss of appetite, and a little shakiness.
I do cardio usually in the evening about 6-9pm.

Thank you for you time.
|

replied August 12th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
My advice while taking ephedra drink a ton of water. It is really easy to become dehydrated while taking diet supplements
|

replied August 13th, 2005
Experienced User
Good advice. Yes increase your water intake as well.
|

replied December 14th, 2005
I wouldn`t take any pills, diet or not, that was outdated!
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....