Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Polio Forum

Post Polio & Bipolar Disorder

Is there anyone out there who is experiencing this or has a loved one who is experiencing this? Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lizz50
|

replied July 7th, 2008
PPS and Bipolar
Hi yes I am diagnosed as PPS and BPII. I do have to say the bipolar syndrome is prevalent among other siblings to different degrees. I take medication and usually my BP is well controlled. I have some bouts of hypomania and some depressive symptoms at other times. I would be haappy to answer any questions I couldon either subject as I have seen BP at both extremes in my family and have made it a point to educate myself quite extensively on it.

I am fortunate, in that I was diagnosed with the post polio at Spaulding Rehabilatation Center in Framingham by Dr. Julie Silver, who was very influential in getting the Syndrome addressed and researched.

Lizz
|

replied April 27th, 2011
polio and bipolar disorders
I had polio in Pennsylvania in 1968 (yes 1968). I am currently 43 years old. When I turned about 18 I started to have what the doctors called "states of confusion". They always discounted any symptoms I had with depression from polio. I do not have any pps symptoms but just in the past month I have been diagnosed being bipolar. I spent my entire life from age 18 until 43 being sad every day. I would cry all the time for no reason. I would be like this for months at a time. Then I would get happy and I would accomplish so much until one day it would all come crashing down again. When i reached about age 35-40 my stress from everything started heart palpitations during panic attacks. The panic attacks slowly got worse and worse as years went on. Over the last 6 months I went to the hospital at least 15 times KNOWING I was dying. It was that bad. Finally I found a good family doctor and he ran tests, put me on zoloft (and xanax for panic attacks). It has totally changed my life. I have barely once had even a sad moment. I can now concentrate and think clearly. I feel better at age 43 than i did at 19. Wikipedia.com has great info on both pps and bipolar. My advice is to tell your friend to talk to their doctor about zoloft or something similar and he/she doesnt have to have manic/depressive days ever again. It will change their life forever like they are new people. Of course everyone is different, this is why i suggest talking to the doctor about these things. It saved my life. i can be contacted any time. Mike. I will answer any and all questions. Please put polio in the subject so i dont think it is spam.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
I have severe residuals of polio from the waste down. This past May 2011 I was diagnosed with Major Non-Psychotic Depression and Social Anxiety. It has gotten really bad and the doctor is trying to find the right medications for me. So far, just recently he gave me a few tabs of .05 mg of Xantax and it has helped me tremendously.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...