I've been a little concerned lately about a "strained" feeling in several different places on my neck, face, and head. It's been going on for a couple months now (i think), although I recall a few months earlier noticing some sore spots on the back of my head that seemed to move around. These spots weren't even noticeable until I gently rubbed a hand over the area. I got a little worried as the strained feeling seemed to get worse. Recently I started getting mild headaches in addition to the strained feeling, and now I get them everyday. This was unfamiliar to me, and I tend to think the worst. Now, after reading up on my symptoms, it sounds like i'm getting tension headaches. The pain seems to get worse when i'm at work. I'm a pizza delivery driver at one job, and I work on a computer for the other. I assume that long hours in a sitting position has started taking its toll on me. My posture hasn't been the best, but i'm trying to correct that now. Staring at a computer screen probably doesn't help either, and I read a lot as well. I also do not get enough sleep. In addition, I do have issues in my personal life that I do stress over quite a bit, but I wouldn't call myself a nervous wreck.

I need to be more specific about the symptoms: the strained feeling started in the area spanning from above my collar bone and next to my adam's apple, up my jaw, to above my ear. This was all on my left side. Eventually, both my trapezii started feeling strained as well, and then up the back of my head on both sides. Lately is has centralized around my left ear. At times, the area around my left ear and the back of my jaw gets a swollen feeling, and my ear may feel a bit stopped up. It usually doesn't stay for long. I know this must be due to pressure. I also may get a "warm" sensation in the same area. I do get random sore spots in this area as well. The dull headaches have become more frequent, except they may be on both sides of my head, or a little behind the eyes and in my cheeks. Some of this may be due to sinus problems, which I have regularly. Usually, I feel better in the morning, and around midday, the symptoms come back.

For the record, I don't have any weird vision problems except for my normal nearsidedness, and I haven't had any dizzy spells or vomiting. I'm in pretty good health. My blood pressure is very slightly above normal, but nothing to be concerned about. In early to mid 2004, I had an mri - with the dye - to see if I had an aneurysm. The results were negative. The reason for the test was because I had started noticing a slight permanent ringing in my ears. I have been playing in a rock band and not always protecting my ears for over 10 years and have attended several loud concerts, so I attribute the ringing to that. As it is, the ringing is only noticeable in very quiet rooms. In any case, I don't think I have a brain tumor or and aneurysm, but the symptoms seem similar to what causes tension headaches. I know these can be done away with over time, but i'm still a little concerned that it might be something more serious. The stress caused by this concern can only be making it worse. I would very much appreciate any and all opinions on what might be ailing me. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be specific!

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2005
Tension Headaches
For you i'd definitely begin by saying visit the below link:

Tensionheadaches.Com

there are many beliefs out there about tension headaches and mine is that there are two or three different types of sufferers and two or three different types of remedies.

I tried this program and it didn't work for me, but I believe you are a different kind of sufferer to me. The guys that sell the program are bloody fantastic. Even though it wasn't my cure, they were the most helpful anyone was to me (yes they made money off me but so did all the other professions)

I can probably help you.

By the way, your talking to someone who has been through 3 years of tension headaches, to the point of absolute debilitation and disablement. Today i've started to return to my normal activity and function - I thought I was a goner 18 months ago!

All the best,
allan
|

replied December 1st, 2009
My Tension Headache Cure
Hi my name is Tony, I'm 23. I suffered from tension headaches for about 8 years from high school until after college. I've always had really tight muscles in my arms, legs, back, etc. I noticed that when I stretched my sternocleidomastoids and the muscles at the base of my skull in the back of my head that I felt much more relieved. So I attributed my headaches to tight neck muscles (which was the reason for my headaches). However, after spending minutes or even hours stretching these muscles they always went back to being tight the next day or sometimes the same day that I stretched them. From this I concluded that the tight muscles were being strained by some other factor besides just having naturally tight muscles, like muscle imbalances. What allowed me to find the problem with my body was when I noticed that when I stood with my knees bent, or with my feet spread apart about more than twice shoulder width, my back and neck did not feel strained in any way. I discovered that my pelvis was out of place (rotate forward due to extremely tight hip flexors and possibly quadriceps). This was in turn causing my back and neck to be strained. I knew that my leg muscles were really tight, but I had no idea that was the reason for my headaches. So now I stretch my hip flexors, quads, hamstrings, groin, and neck (lightly) everyday and I feel incredible.

I was able to fix my problem within a few days once I started loosening up my hip flexors. The difference between me now and a weeks ago is tremendous. Not only was I getting headaches, but I felt dizzy and very tense. Also, it became hard to talk at times because the front of my neck got so tight that I think it was causing problems with my vocal cords. Now I don't get headaches, feel dizzy, I'm much more relaxed, and I have my voice back! haha. The solution to my problem is something that I thought about everyday for years and it feels great for days to go by without it ever crossing my mind. You can imagine how bad my condition had become. I feel like a completely different person these days.

The cause of your tension headaches might not be the same as the cause of mine, but I recommend stretching and strengthening all of the muscles in your legs, core, shoulders, and back. Also a light stretch in your neck.

My last bit of advice is to do an assessment of your own body in the mirror and see if your hips are aligned, along with your shoulders and neck IN A RELAXED STATE. It won't do any good to have force your body to have good posture by pulling on your shoulders, hips, etc. It should come naturally.

I hope this helps in some way or another!

Tony
|

replied February 23rd, 2011
tension headache trigger points
Hi All,

Have been suffering with tension headaches for 11 days straight. I found that the standard neck stretches (i.e. the ones you see in pamphlets at physio or chiro) weren't really working for me. However, the best thing I've found is to work with your fingers along your head to the sore spot (usually you will find a trigger point at the back of the head, just up from where the neck joins the skull) and to press quite firmly, hold and repeat. This triggers what I call the "sick button" often making the pain feel quite intense but it if you continue to hold it it's the best form of natural pain relief I have found and can sometimes end an episode of the headaches all together.

I hope someone else finds this helpful, I know it has restored some sanity for me!
|

replied February 23rd, 2011
tension headache trigger points
Hi All,

Have been suffering with tension headaches for 11 days straight. I found that the standard neck stretches (i.e. the ones you see in pamphlets at physio or chiro) weren't really working for me. However, the best thing I've found is to work with your fingers along your head to the sore spot (usually you will find a trigger point at the back of the head, just up from where the neck joins the skull) and to press quite firmly, hold and repeat. This triggers what I call the "sick button" often making the pain feel quite intense but it if you continue to hold it it's the best form of natural pain relief I have found and can sometimes end an episode of the headaches all together.

I hope someone else finds this helpful, I know it has restored some sanity for me!
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2012
Sub-Occipital Release for Tension Headache
Tension headaches can be debilitating / can be caused by sub-occipital muscle spasms.
http://dmmassage.com/?p=244

Often times people complain of a band of pressure surrounding the head. (Temple - over the ears to base of skull.)

This is most often caused by sitting at a desk and watching a monitor with bad posture.

You can do exercises to correct your posture as described in this very good video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t56E1OG2XAg

For a medicine free solution to the pain, many people have said this product can be life changing. It targets the suboccipitals via deep tissue massage - forces those subocciptal muscles to relax, and you can do it anywhere and on your own time.

Be sure to check with your DR if you have recurring pain of any kind.

hope this helps!!
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Hi all. I'm 21 and had this tension headache for just over a month now. It started off on on top of head for about a week then moved to sides of head. Then sometimes it would move back on top of head then on sides. It felt like Pressure. Still got it but it's much much better now. I'm taking Propranolol an it's getting better now. Don't know what caused it. Maybe to much gaming and looking at my iPhone screen all day. What helped me is to take a hot bath and hot water over head. It soothed the Paine. Anyone here had same symptoms as me?

(Warren)
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....