Here I am, knowing everything there is to know about eating disorders, health concerns, etc. My god, i'm a social worker, I help other people for a living, but somehow I can't help myself. I know it's a commitment that I need to make, but it just seems I find myself making excuses for every positive thing I could do for myself. I've been sick for 10 years, i'm about to turn 24. I've managed to remain hospital-free for the past 5 years and have made some improvements in my health, but the binging and purging is still there. Like I said, i've been in long-term treatment several times in several different treatment centers, but the anxiety and fear of gaining weight are still there. When I eat healthy, I feel full, anxious, like I want to jump out of my body because it's so uncomfortable. And I find myself fixated on food and when I can binge and purge next. I know I need help, but I feel as though i've been through so many treatment centers, hospitals and therapists, what more is there to do? Help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 21st, 2005
Experienced User
How to Stop
:idea: the recovery process is long & hard, I know. I've had this for 30 years --- since I was 12 --- and just now am I ssslllooowwwlllyyyy getting over it. I found a combination of counseling & nutrition helped me immensely, along with a supportive family & circle of friends. "the only way out is through" --- you have to bear the seemingly unbearable feelings at first, until they subside. Eventually you will feel better & less fat & full, and you won't like the old feelings of starvation & binge-highs as you did before. I haven't binged or purged in over 2 years now --- and I used to do it multiple times every day. So there is hope. Just don't give up!
|

replied January 21st, 2005
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. It's hopeful to hear you are doing well.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....