Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Ankle Sprain Or Ankle Fracture?

Hi there,

i was walking down the stairs and I missed the last step, while on the last two steps, and fell hard onto my ankle, on thursday. I didn't realize how serious a sprain is, so once I could get up after five minutes immobilized, I walked on it for the rest of the night (very stupid, I know now). I went to the doctor on saturday (not my normal doctor) and they took some x-rays. He said it was just a sprain, but what makes me think I fractured it is the point specific pain right at my ankle bone. However, I am able to walk on it (usually on my heels) but I am trying to use crutches (which are so difficult!). Anyway, any opinions? Thanks in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 16th, 2005
Experienced User
Yesterday I missed my last stair while I was carrying a baby (not mine) it was my cousin and he didnt get hurt at all but my foot hurts so bad/but/elbow lol
|

replied January 16th, 2005
Yikes! I hope you didn't fracture or sprain it like I did. You should definitely go get it checked out though. I hope mine isn't fractured but I suspect it is and just didn't show up on the x-ray. I hope someone here knows something about it as I am clueless! :?
|

replied June 9th, 2007
3 months ago I was sliding down sand hills into waves and hit one wrong, tweaking out my ankle. I didnt think it was that bad and went surfing on it a week later, when I finally go it looked at I had actually fractured it and also pulled a legement. So I got placed in a cam walker cast for 3 weeks then did phsycal therapy for a few weeks after that. The problem is I still have pain not necessarly when I walk but when I crouch down with my knee over my ankle like a chair position.(which is what surfing is all about) So i went in again and the DR. explained I have calcium buildup around my legaments, I also kept asking if I had a High ankle sprian, he said that he couldnt see that on the X ray and that there is no way I have one. But I am wondering if I should get an MRI so I could know for sure, and also that if I have or suspect a high ankle sprain should I still be surfing walking etc.?
Thanks for any help I can get. ALoha
|

replied January 17th, 2009
Ankle Injury
Not unlike several others, I was able to avoid a fall after stumbling over a floor pillow. In the process of breaking my fall, I landed wrong on my right foot and could not walk on it without the assistance of a walker. I immediately went to emergency, was told it was an extreme strain and directed to take Moltrin (800's), ice & elevate. Three days later I went for follow-up, and was instructed to go for a Cadscan. I then took those results to my regular orthopedic MD who looked at the results and directed me to have an MRI.
Result: I have a bone/cartilage chip resting in my ankle, I'm wearing a boot (up to the knee) for 5 more weeks. Can this situation be corrected without surgery?
|

replied March 21st, 2010
hello! i joined this site in a hope u can help me. i twisted my ankle 5 days ago while i was climbing the stairs, i saw the doctors, took x-ray, and they didnt find any broke just says if it will get worst u come. but it get rather worst as it was get more swollen and not possible to move or touch causes a terrible pain.
im using cream diclophenac 1% and bandage and putting ice but without success.
also before it i cought a flu and my throut is dry and sore,coughing make pain, i use a lot of antibiotics from my childhood and now too, how can i get rid of being dependent on them or reduce their bad effect because they cause me stomace ache in general its not good i heard. if u know how to treat some of them i would really appreciate luvcomp
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Help me!
I have no clue what I did to my ankle. I can walk in it and everything but I get a constant pain around my ankle. It's not swollen and nothing comes up on the x-ray and I don't know what to do. I've tried icing it and elevating it but I play and do sports and physical things and I am not going to stop. What is is that I did to my ankle and how do I heal it?
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....