Hello

i am a migrain patient and have been for 8 years now, I have had different medication to help for the headache but have not yet found anything to prevent it. I have a daily medication to prevent the throbbing headache, it helps, so I only get a mild headache that still lasts for a few days.

I have been to a psycologist who helps people with migrains, he has helpt me change my lifestyle to prevent stress. It has helpt a bit but the migrain is still there and for the last two years it has taken controll of my life. :cry: I have a family to take care off and the daily stress can't be avoided.

My doctor refuses to send me for scans and says it is a stress problem and I must learn to live with it, which I can't, there must be something out there that can help. I get my attacks freqently, some weeks it is every two days and sometimes two attacks in a day. I also have some good weeks. :)

can anybody advise me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 10th, 2005
Experienced User
Have you ever thought about accupuncture? I have a friend who gets bad migraines.. Almost once a day normally. About 2 years ago he started getting accupuncture and now only gets them on rare occassion.. He says he has to go back now and then to keep them from coming back.. But it might be something you want to look in to if meds aren't working. I can't take meds myself.. If they do work, the side effects seem to be worse than the actual migraine.
|

replied January 11th, 2005
Hello

i have not tried it yet but it has crossed my mind lately. :wink: sry to hear that you can't use meds, because it helps for the pain. The side effects aren't always great but a person has to choose. :? There are more methods that help but they are mostly too expensive to follow. My medical care does not cover everything. :(

i am going to look into accupuncture, thx. :)
|

replied February 22nd, 2006
My Success Story
:idea:
my name is angie and I suffered the same, if not worse symptoms that you had. I visited neurologists, psychiatrists, neuropaths, accupuncture and chiropractors. None worked!! I finally began to look into neuromuscular dentistry as a final resort and i'll tell you.....I no longer have migraines or any other facial, neck or back pains. He was able to pin point what the origin was and was able to go over in detail what was being done and how it would help me. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this field. I have done my research and know a good amount of information. The field is neuromuscular dentistry. Look it up on the internet and see if this could help you out.....It certainly did for me. Wish you the best of luck.
|

replied April 25th, 2006
Migraine...pizotifen
Ive been getting migraines for about 3 years now, and no matter what the doctors give me nothing helps! Im currently on pizotifen which starts off being brill, but after about 6 mths it seems it doesnt work anymore. I dont want to go back to the doctors once again. My migraines are normally after late nights or stressful days. About 30 minutes b4 any pain I get flashing triangles disrupting my vision, then the pain kicks in! 110% agony.
Is anyone else on pizotifen???
|

replied June 13th, 2006
Pizotifen
Hi mark

i've just started taking pizotifen last night.

I had a few drinks too, and feel really drowsy today. Starting with 0.5 mg.

I'll let you know how I get on.
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Andrewedmondson
Hi there! I am not a dr but it is not to much of a good idea to take prescription drugs and mix them with alchohol, whenever I am prescribed a new med, I always research it 1st as I do take quite a few meds. I hope it helps you!
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Boost
You always have a right to a second opinion, I started out on immitrex and now I am on topomax, I do realise that they do have a lot of side effects and they are not for everyone, sometimes we all have our bad days and weeks, I know that I do with my medical conditions but I just keep hoping that tomorrow will be a better day and do the best I caan with what I have to deal with! I have learned that all of this medication is not always the answer as some of them have more side effects than they do help. Has your dr given you anything to take the edge off, you might ask.

The best to you!
|

replied June 13th, 2006
Migraine
Thanks for the replies.

I had to give up lectruing mathematics 10 years ago becuase of chronic headaches. I had a 1-4 day headache every 9 days.

I went on to imigran (later zomig) for 4 years. These drugs reduced me to a wreck. I was having a headache every 4 days. One morning I woke up with me symptoms (twitching all over, sever fatigue, etc.) I had a load of tests which shows nothing. Then I stopped the drug, went through a month of withdrawal headaches, then back to normal, i.E. 1-4 day headache every 9-14 days.

In the last 10 years, i've gone 3 week without a headache on just 2 occasions.

The headaches are less sever now. I just take codis (codeine and aspirin) but that doesn't give much relief and contributes to sickness.

Coffee is a great cure after a period of abstinence. Coffee has a greater effect on me than alochol.

Stress, late nights, too much computer time, alcohol, coffee (eventually) all increase frequency and severity.

I spent around £7000 on treatment, scans etc. All to no avail.

I reacted badly to anti-depressants and beta blockers.

No one had offered pizotifen before, so i'll give it a go.
|

replied November 17th, 2007
Help.........................
I am a 38 yr old woman who had a full hysterectomy two years ago. I have suffered with severe migraine since then. I have a long histroy of attending my doctors. The only think that kills my pain in cyclomorph. I have had a MRI which was clear. I have had to see the doctor 4 times this week with a migrane and all my weeks seem the same. I end up sitting in my doctors. I cant copy with these anymore, I have tried all the Imigran and Zoimeg. I am on antriptylinne at night time but so far I still suffer badly. I am sitting here right now in agony afraid to call the care doc for frear of being made feel silly and over acting!!!! Can any one help me please...................Should doctors make me feel like this. I hate the way the clyclomorph makes me feel but its the only thing that takes away my pain.

Help a mother of two please.................................... ........!!!!!
|

replied March 31st, 2009
Perimenopausal and Migraines
Ever since I entered the Perimenopausal Phase in my LIFE!! my Migraines have worsened, along with many other symptoms. I'm having my hormone levels checked. Someone had told me after they had a Hysterectomy and went into Menopause their Migraine headaches improved.
I'm not going to have a Hysterectomy unless it's needed, who knows it might be time. I just had Neck surgery 12-2008. Not wanting any Surgery for awhile!! D.White
|

replied March 31st, 2009
Migraine
I can not believe I spelled Migraine wrong, oops. I'm thinking about Accupuncture and regular Therapeutic massages. The muscles in my neck and shoulders stay in knots and cause tension at the base of my skull. Therefore, I have CHRONIC MIGRAINES!! along with Occipital Neuralgia. I'm doing Aquatic Physical Therapy (for neck surgery 12-2008) and that has helped some. Good Luck to ALL, D.WHITE
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
One Aspirin a Day!!!
The only thing that has made a MAJOR difference to my classic migraines (with aura), is one aspirin a day.

I was on pizotifen for 10 years, propanolol and more. The aspirin did the trick for me. Took me from 3 migraines a week to 3 a year!!

I also know one trigger for me is dark chocolate (much as I love it), but it's not the only trigger.

Everyone's different. Learn all you can and keep a diary. Try different meds as well as alternative things.

Migraines are horrid and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. Crazy that the aspirin has helped me for more than 10 years.
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....