I felt pain and stiffness in my left knee about 4am when still in bed. I woke up to take a tablet of brufen retard 800mg which I used to take for my gaut. Is my knee pain related to my history in gaut? I still have the pain after 3 tablets but a bit better. Can I continue to take it? Or what should I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Be careful of ibuprofen, it can make your stomach bleed.
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied January 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Re: Knee Pain
Treatment of acute gout attacks usually requires heavy dosage of nsaids. Use of ibuprofen (brufen) to treat gout, american academy of family physician ( http://www.Aafp.Org/afp/990215ap/925.Html ) recommends 800 mg 4 times a day. The side effects of brufen are:

side effects and special precautions
dyspepsia, nausea, gastro-intestinal intolerance and bleeding may occur. Skin rashes of various types have been observed. Bronchospasm and cases of thrombocytopenia and agranulocytosis have been reported. Toxic amblyopia has occurred. Abdominal discomfort, blurred vision, depression, drowsiness, insomnia, nephrotic syndrome, other ocular reactions, peptic ulcer and pruritus may also occur.
Headache, dizziness, nervousness and other central effects, vomiting, diarrhoea, oedema and tinnitus may occur. Abnormalities of liver function tests and impairment of renal function have been observed. Acute allergic reactions have been reported.
Use with care in patients with bleeding disorders, cardiovascular disease, patients using anticoagulant medicines and in elderly patients. Acute reversible renal failure has been reported.
Use with care in patients with impaired renal function.
Use with care together with other protein-bound medicines (e.G. Tolbutamide, coumarin and hydantoin).

You can find gout info at http://www.Icuredmygout.Org . Take care.
|

replied January 12th, 2005
jyy2 wrote:
treatment of acute gout attacks usually requires heavy dosage of nsaids. Use of ibuprofen (brufen) to treat gout, american academy of family physician ( http://www.Aafp.Org/afp/990215ap/925.Html ) recommends 800 mg 4 times a day. The side effects of brufen are:

side effects and special precautions
dyspepsia, nausea, gastro-intestinal intolerance and bleeding may occur. Skin rashes of various types have been observed. Bronchospasm and cases of thrombocytopenia and agranulocytosis have been reported. Toxic amblyopia has occurred. Abdominal discomfort, blurred vision, depression, drowsiness, insomnia, nephrotic syndrome, other ocular reactions, peptic ulcer and pruritus may also occur.

Headache, dizziness, nervousness and other central effects, vomiting, diarrhoea, oedema and tinnitus may occur. Abnormalities of liver function tests and impairment of renal function have been observed. Acute allergic reactions have been reported.

Use with care in patients with bleeding disorders, cardiovascular disease, patients using anticoagulant medicines and in elderly patients. Acute reversible renal failure has been reported.

Use with care in patients with impaired renal function.

Use with care together with other protein-bound medicines (e.G. Tolbutamide, coumarin and hydantoin).

You can find gout info at http://www.Icuredmygout.Org . Take care.

i have stopped using brufen 800mg after 3 doses and switch to baking soda three times a day. The pain has subsided gradually but it is still there if pressure is applied to the knee. The redness is lighter now. However, I also have a slight pain on my right elbow when pressure is applied, but no redness. I am not sure if there are related.
|

replied January 13th, 2005
Experienced User
Glad your knee is getting better. While baking soda increases the solubility of uric acid thus helps gout, it is not an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. You need to take an nsaid for faster relief of inflammation and pain.
|

jyy2 wrote:
glad your knee is getting better. While baking soda increases the solubility of uric acid thus helps gout, it is not an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. You need to take an nsaid for faster relief of inflammation and pain.

thanks jyy2. Can you recommend any good otc nsaid that I can take to relief pain if it occurs?
|

Experienced User
The best persons to answer your question on otc nsaids are the pharmacists in your local drugstores. In my experience, they are very knowledgeable and are very willing to help. Different nsaids work differently with different person. I stay with the one that is effective and has the least side effects to me. By the way, do not use aspirin (an nsaid) to treat gout. It will make gout worse (in low dosage) and can cause gi problems.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....