Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Arm Pain.............help Please

For the past several months, i've been experiencing pain in my left arm, from the elbow bend to the start of the shoulder. The pain is hard to describe, its almost like a feeling of muscle deteriorating, and hurts more when i'm trying to sleep. The only way to really demonstrate the pain (say to a doctor), is to put my arm in a position, like if I were doing flies while working out in the gym.

Is there anyone out there that has similar pains? Please let me know,

thank you very much,
gianluca

Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 20th, 2005
Experienced User
My daughter has pain in both her arms. She has had blood work for a muscle problem, lyme titer, emg testing, and other things. Tried advil and aleve that her neuro recommended. Nothing has helped except raising her aed(epilepsy med) which is one also used for pain syndromes.Hers is sometimes worse when trying to sleep, but can also get bad in the afternoon/evening....

I can have this same heavy, painful, pressure arm feeling but it seems to be related to neck misalignment for me. Her brother sometimes has this when he wakes up...So all three of us have the symptom but different ways of it showing...

We have no answers so sorry we are not much help!
|

replied February 1st, 2005
It's from putting too much pressure on it, and having it in such a funny position for so long. You sleep with your arm under your pillow don't you? I've been having the same problem. I woke up with bad pains in which ever arm I slept on most that night, and my arm would be really weak. It's probably lack of blood flow, try sleeping without your arm bent upward. Or even under your pillow at all, it helped me a lot. :d
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is due to impingement of nerves of brachial plexus. I would suggest you to have NCS to sort it out. Take pregabalin to combat this pain.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.