Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Switching From Depo Provera to Birth Control Pills (Page 1)

Hi. I'm switching from depo provera to birth control pills but I don't know what pill would be the best. I had to go off of the depo because it was making me very moody and uncomfortable amoungst other things. I want a pill that wont make my hormones go crazy like the depo. I also was wondering what side effects I could face with going off of depo provera and how long till I get a period again.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile beachlover801
|

replied January 7th, 2005
Experienced User
I just stopped taking the depo shot last april and I guess the only side effects that I am haveing is right at this minute I am on my second period in a month. Of course I am not taking any of the bc pills because me and my hubsand is wanting to have a baby. And plus you may not have any problems with stopping the depo shot. All of people don't.
|

Experienced User
The best thing to do is just go to your doctor and see what he/she says. Every pill is different for everyone!
|

I am going to the dr on monday I just wanted to know what was up and be prepared to ask the dr what is the best for me. I thank everyone who has replyed to this. I just needed to know for my self. I'm sure that everything will be fine but with all the horror stories I have read I wanted to be sure.
|

Experienced User
I think going off the shot and onto the pill is an easier transition then going off the shot to nothing. I was on the shot for 9 months and switched to the patch this past month due to the shot making me break out like crazy and I got my period normally on the off week (it was a few days late, but still came and was normal). As for which pill.. Everyone reacts differently to each one so it may be trial and error for awhile.
|

I'm happy to hear about having a normal period again so soon after going off the shot. I have heard that it can take up to a year and a half for ur period to go back to normal. I'm just glad to be going off depo with all the stories that I read and with what it started doing to my hormones and my body
|

replied April 7th, 2005
Experienced User
The same thing happened to me while on the shot and I was so moody so I told my boctor about being really moody on the shot so he is going to put me on ovcon35 I guess ill see what happens
|

replied April 19th, 2005
Experienced User
I'm Hating Depo
Being on the shot has put me through hell lately! I'm going back on the pill but I was wondering if anyone knows how to make depo get out of my system faster! Right now I feel like punching everyone I see but i'm too depressed to do it.
|

replied September 26th, 2007
Depo Prevo
I recently stopped using depo. Unfortunately while on the depo i gained 60 lbs and began experiencing frequent pains in my muscles and head. I went to my doctor and requested to begin using a new birth control. I now have started using ortho tricyclen low. But its now 7 weeks off the depo and i haven't had a period, i had some slight bleeding a week after but it was very light so so far not returned to normal. And my headaches are still persisting. So Good Luck!
|

replied September 26th, 2007
Experienced User
I went to the patch and started having break through bleeding and then switched to the ring and have had other problems. Now I've been on nothing for a week and feel great! I'm going to have to get back on something when I go in for my check up but for now we'll have to be careful and use condoms. But BC is different for everyone. Your best bet is like said before talk to your dr about what youv'e been on and how you have reacted to those. It sucks but there is no simple answer I'm looking for it too! Wink Good Luck and hope everything all goes well!
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2007
Experienced User
i was on the shot a year than switched to Junel Fe 1/20. I didnt get a normal period after stopping depo for almost 4 months. It can also take up to a year to even conceive after stopping depo. Anyways. I didnt have really any symptoms from switching. other than the delayed period. I would not recommend Junel Fe though as birth control pills. Horrible side effects coming off of them, and decresed sex drive while on them. There are better ones out there i am sure
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2007
I have stopped using depo after 5 years of being on it, and I am experiencing the symptoms you should get when you start taking it.

I have been incredibly moody, depressed, sensitive nipples (and I mean ouch), angry, impulsive and worst of all, taking it all out on my boyfriend.

So I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience, or any ideas about it. I really need to figure something out soon before my boyfriend finally has had enough of my moods.

-Brandi
|

replied March 12th, 2008
I was on depo for about 2 years and lost a TON of my bone density (which is really bad since i am only 21) and gained almost 20 pounds. i became a much more hostile person (which could have been from stress of not fitting into my clothes) and was not nice to anyone. Anyway, about a week ago i went back on ortho tricyclen (which i was on before depo) and i am feeling a whole lot better. if you are sensitive to a lot of hormones, ask your doctor about ortho tricyclen low. many people have found this a lot better.

brandi, are you on any form of birth control currently?

-kathryn
|

replied February 22nd, 2009
i hate the depo shot
i cant speak for anyone else but i strongly reccomend you don't risk taking the birth control shot depo provera. I've been so deppressed since I started it due to my TWO MONTH LONG PERIOD. I missed valentines day, my birthday and a 5 month anniversary because of this waist of $250 dollars. Im sad all the time and it feels terrible.
please! dont do what I did.
|

replied March 11th, 2009
switching from depo to the pill
i just recently switched from depo to the pill after being on depo for like 8 years...im wondering what i should worry about? lol i dont know what to expect
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
Depo to Pill
What did you find out? I have just done the exact same thing. Switched from Depo to pill after being on the depo for a good 10 years. When did you get your period back?
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Depo
I have been on the depo shot for 2 years now and at the beginning I had a period for 2 to 3 days and everything was fine. Then I didn't have a period for a few months, now I have a period that lasts for weeks and weeks. I never know when it's coming or when it's going to end. It's horrible. I would love to switch, but not sure what to switch to. I have heard about some pills that end your period as well. Not sure if they would work for me since the depo didn't.
|

replied May 16th, 2012
I have had the exact same thing! I went on the shot 2 years ago exactly, didn't have a period for a long time (only bleeding I had was some spotting a week or two before my next shot was due). The past 6 months or so I've had extremely unpredictable periods. They vary by day actually. One day I'll have very light bleeding, and nothing is needed, and the next day I'll have bleeding that is uncontrollable. The worst part is that it lasts for weeks. It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through this!
|

replied May 19th, 2009
depo
I got 2 doses of the depo shot, and it seriously turned me into a bipolar b****. Along with depression, horrible trouble controlling my emotions, and increased anger. Not to mention i gained 30 pounds!

Stay away from the shot! My poor boyfriend, i took it all out on him. I'm surprised he stuck with me after all of that. I got switched to Yaz, and I automatically turned happy, started losing all the excess weight, and all the bad side effects went away. I started spotting after a few weeks. Still haven't gotten a period yet, but i'm sure it's coming.

So all of you aren't alone with the horror stories of the depo shot. It's happened to a lot of people.
|

replied October 26th, 2011
depo and weight loss
so what your saying that you you lost the weight afte getting off of the shot? because i was suppose to go back today due all the horrible side effects iam not going back to that shot either, iam trying to lose the rest of my tummy from having a baby 9 months ago and i think that the depo is making it hard for me to lose the rest of this small tummy.
|

replied May 20th, 2009
Switching from Depo to something else
I have been on the depo shot now for 3yrs. I just recently started looking into switching to either the pill or the patch. I was on the patch after I gave birth to my son but didn't stick with. For no particular reason. When I starting dating my husband he recommended the depo, his ex took it. I thought not having a period and only having a shot every 3 mths would be heaven. WRONG. I gained 30lbs so far,sex drive has decreased and the worst part is in the last week I've ruined 2 brand new pairs of panties because I all of a sudden started spotting in the late evening. We are talking about having a kid of our own one day and was considering getting off the shot for that reason and knowing it takes a while to get pg afterward. But a friend recommended the orthotricylene pill. She said once she switched she lost all the wait gained by depo and feels better. I have an appt in a couple of weeks for my next shot and I'm going to talk to the dr. to see which would be better for me the pill or the patch. But everyone's posts here has helped me worry less about any side effects that could occur during and after the switch. Thanks so much and I hope everyone that has done what I'm about to do is doing great with their switch.
|

replied February 1st, 2012
So,I have been on Depo for about 3 years now, and have noticed weight gain the most I have gained about 10-15 pounds on depo, and that is with working out 6 days a week and eating healthy. I am looking into changing my method to the pill. How long does it take to switch over? Do you need to wait a certin about of weeks before starting the next method?
|

replied February 1st, 2012
So,I have been on Depo for about 3 years now, and have noticed weight gain the most I have gained about 10-15 pounds on depo, and that is with working out 6 days a week and eating healthy. I am looking into changing my method to the pill. How long does it take to switch over? Do you need to wait a certin about of weeks before starting the next method?
|

replied June 11th, 2009
I was on depo for a full year, and have been off of it for a full year now, i still haven't had any periods at all, no spotting nothing. Which you might guess is disconcerting when you are trying to have a baby haha, i just recently went into the doctor and she put me on Junel Fe to try to jump start my periods again. I am very happy with the results of the hormones so far, i thought it would be worse side effects wise, but so far i haven't had any problems, i actually like the idea of the pill better then depo, its nice to know that when i stop taking it its not going to take years to get out of my body.
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
depo
im on the depo right now, it hasn't even been a month yet for me and im already very moody all the time, angry, stressing, and getting ticked off at little things, everything seeems to irritate me now more then it should, and im taking alot of it out on everyone else around me. is there a way i can get this chemical out of my body faster? i don't like it..
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...