About a year ago, I had high blood pressure (i think about 140/100) and my doctor put me on a low dosage of a drug. I bought a digital machine for measuring my bp at home and was pretty happy when the numbers fell to about an average of 120/70.

A few months later, I had my bp checked at a clinic and was surprised to find that it was back to 140/100. They mentioned white-coat hypertension. But later, I decided to purchase a manual machine (the kind you listen with and watch a dial) and that machine measures 140/90 under conditions in which the digital machine measures 120/70. Interestingly, when my doctor uses a digital machine he also measures lower bps around 130/80.

Are digital machines usually low biased with bp?

Also, if my medicine isnt really lowering my bp, what are some other ways to lower bp?

I am 21, weigh about 150lbs (5'10''), run or bike and lift weights nearly everyday (but am pretty sedentary when not exercising) and my last blood tests were all normal (except for a slight elevation in a hormone called aldosterone?).

Thank you for any responses on either question.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 8th, 2005
Experienced User
Manual bp machines are more accurate.. Because digital is just a machine that does the work, they do not have enough information programmed into them.... Did u listen/read instructions on the package of digital machine? Cuz some saids u must not move/talk or must have ur arm at heart level and have machine a little below heart level...
|

replied May 26th, 2005
Experienced User
Both Used.
I use both and the manual is much more reliable. But the auto is useally on target too, but has at times read low when I it was much higher with the manual one. I chocked it up to the way I must have put the cuff on. So I use the auto for a quick check but use the manual at least once a week to be sure.
|

replied September 5th, 2005
Hi,

i learnt from a doctor friend that the manual one is more accurate than the digital one. This is because the digital one is calibrated and has to be calibrated regularly to maintain its accuracy!
|
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....