My daughter tripped on some stairs last night and today her ankle is swollen, very bruised on the outside part of the ankle--the bruise is about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Is this a sprain? Should we ice it? Should she go to the doctor?
Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Take her to a doctor and get it checked out. My friends threw me down the stairs when I was in gr. 7 and I sprained my ankle really bad but I also tore the ligaments and muscles off the bone and tore them in half, and chipped the bone. It took a lot of work to get it back in shape again. Wrap it, ice it and get it to the doctor. Dont forget to keep it elevated! Good luck `melissa
|

replied October 28th, 2003
Thanks mommy2b--have had her to the doctor, ankle is sprained and she has torn ligaments. He told me to wrap it in tape--any suggestions on how to do it? He told me to keep the foot at a 45 degree angle, so I have the under the foot thing ok,. What about the rest?
|

replied October 28th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
No problem! Ouch she must be in pain I know when that happened to me it hurt real bad. One thing keep the crutches and no matter how much she may hate them make sure she uses them. If she doesnt use them she could damage her ankle worse. Keep it iced at the end of the day cuz thats when it'll be sore. Ya know the whole 10 mins on 10 mins off routine. Wrap it in tape???? Hmm never heard of it... My doctor gave me a wrap for mine and I just went under the foot over the ankle and then once and a while around the ankle to hold it snug. Make sure its tight but not tooo tight you dont want to cut the circualtion off. Best of luck and send my love ~melissa
oh and keep in touch if you have anymore questions!!
|

replied June 7th, 2009
ancle
Hi every one.yesterday i feelt down the stairs and i hit m ancle on the side of the stairs.today is very bruised and swollen.i can bearly walk on it.my mum said that it is just a hit but i am worrying it might be broken or a ligament might be torn.what should i do??any sugestions??should i go to school tommorow??
|

replied June 7th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi and I am so sorry about your ankle...Ankles can be so painful...I know..I injured mine about 2 1/2 years ago...I doubt that it is broken and would think if something is torn inside that you couldn't walk on it...I guess it is pretty much up to you and your Mom if you go to school tomorrow...Why not wait and sleep on it and see how it feels...Now take it easy....

Take care,
Caroline
|

replied August 26th, 2010
bruised ankle
i was in a soccer game yesterday and when i was running my anke bent and hit the ground and know it is brusied and herts when i walk on it what should i do?
|

replied January 20th, 2013
I have shattered my ankle 2 years ago and they have plats and screws on both sides and it kills me every day to walk on it I work alittle less than 65 hours aweek and climb about over 250 feet in the air free climb. Straps to hold but need the foot what should I do
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2013
Especially eHealthy
drew9017,

It sounds like you have developed traumatic arthritis after your significant ankle injury.

You will need to discuss your treatment options with your surgeon. It appears that you do perform a lot of hard manual labor (working 65 hours a week and doing a lot of climbing). As such, you are probably not a candidate for a total ankle replacement (TAR). Currently, TAR are only recommended for sedentary patients, as they are still not very durable.

Usually, for patients who do a lot of manual type of labor and are still young, yet have uncontrollable pain after significant joint injury, it is recommended that the patient have the ankle fused (called an arthrodesis). This will usually reduce the pain, but it also takes away all motion at the ankle joint.

Again, you need to discuss all of your options with your surgeon. Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It seems sprain but fracture should be ruled out. Consult orthopaedic surgeon to evaluate it.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Muhammad Khalil
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.