Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Short, Sharp Pains In My Head... (Page 1)

Has anyone ever experienced short pains or sensations in their head? I have been under what I think is a bit more stress than normal lately and have began to experience sharp tingly pains in the back, left side of my head. They only last for a few seconds and come at random times. The pain radiates to the top/front of my head and gets worse when I am standing or bend over. Sounds pretty strange. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate some input.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DJ Franco
|

replied November 5th, 2003
Reply to Lisada About Short, Stabbing Headache Pain
Hi lisada.

I share your pain and experience!

My neurologist calls them idiopathic (meaning no known pathological cause) stabbing headache.

The other more common name is ice pick pain, because it feels as if your head is being stabbed by an ice-pick.

Medical treatment for this type of headache involves a drug called indocin (indomethacin is the chemical name). If you live in canada like I do, the drug is called indocid.

If your doctor prescribes this medication, the side effects include nausea and abdominal discomfort. Be sure to take it with food!

Hope the info helps and take care!

Confused
|

replied November 6th, 2003
Thank You Dragonlady.
I thought for a moment that I was the only one who felt those pains. I had my message posted for quite some time with no response. Thank you for the input. I live in virginia, usa--but I have heard of indocin. My husband takes it for his gout pain I believe. I'll have to take the time to see a doctor I guess. I am 34 years old with four children (ages 11, 8, 3 and 5 months) at home, so I don't seem to get around to taking a moment out for me. That's how i've always seemed to be. Anyway, take care. Perhaps we can keep in touch. Smile lisa
|

replied November 21st, 2012
Sharp stabbing bursts of pain on the side of my head.
Hi Lisa and dragonlady. I share your pain. I have Lupus and Hypothyroidism. I don't think it's related to either but it's nice to compare notes to see any correlations if any. I am also under enormous stress.
|

replied November 6th, 2003
Reply to Lisada
Lisa.

I'm glad the info I gave you on the idiopathic stabbing headache helped.

My real name is jaime.

I hope that you do find the time to see your doctor. I know it's hard when you have four young children. But if you don't take care of yourself, you can't take of your children.

That's an expression the medical staff and I used to tell parents, when I worked in a pediatric hospital. Your children need you to be strong and healthy for them.

So...Please see your doctor as soon as you can.

Jaime (aka dragonlady).
:d
|

replied December 27th, 2003
Experienced User
Hi lisa and dragonlady,
i just posted a forum about what seems to be this type of headache. Mine come out of nowhere and are very sharp and intense. They last about 5 to maybe 10 seconds and then they disappear. It is only in one area of my head. Not every time,but sometimes I get it in the back on the left side and then other times on the right. It really hurts.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
ice pick stabs in head
Wow, these posts are old, but I have been having these stabbing pains now for 3 days!!!! I am scared, and I'm 56.......... Any NEW news on these???
Nancy
|

replied July 7th, 2011
Sharp pain on the left side of my head
I just starting having these ice pick pains too. It hurts so much! Left side of my head in the rear. If I move my hair in that spot it really hurts! I don't want to take medication that makes me ill. What else can we do? Will it go away by it's self?
|

replied July 27th, 2011
sharp pains back of head
kikimydog
I am having the exact same thing happening. Started yesterday. What happened? Did it go away? I am considering going to the walk in this morning. I've never had a headache in my life and have a conference to go to this weekend. sharp pains, left rear, pulling hair in that spot hurts. Woke me up all last night..UGG
|

replied January 4th, 2004
Sharp Head Pains
I also have sharp stabbing pain back behind my right ear. It feels like a vein being twisted. Should I have this checked out. I have also been under some stress. I am 57 years old. Should I see a doctor or does this go away? Anybody experienced this to go away?
|

Pain Behind Ear
Hi I experienced a stabbing pain just above my right ear about 8 years ago. At the time I had just returned from a 2 weeks holiday so I should have been refreshed,but I wasn't. I felt really run down and lethargic so I went to the doctor, when I told him my symptoms he asked if I had any spots as he thought I had shingles, about 2 days later the spots appeared on my face, I went back to the doctor and as soon as he saw me he told me it was shingles.

Very painful to say the least!!!!!
|

Sharp Stabbing Pain In Head
Thank you for responding to my email. I also have been on vacation for ten days, but not relaxing. I started this pain while I was gone. The pain is located a little towards the back side of my ear, about an inch. I am feeling fine other than being worried about the stab. Do you think it is still the same thing. I haven't had one today. A slight one last evening. The evening before that I had about 4. Thanks again and if anyone else has some input please do.
|

Stabbing Pains
Hi gabriele
you dont say how long you have had the pains. I had the pains for 13 days before the spots appeared and I realised it was shingles.

I would go to the doctors for a check up. I hope this helps.

Take care
|

replied January 16th, 2004
Shingles???
This is why my Dr. Asked me if I had a rash in the are of the headache. It is so severe it makes me sick like a migrane, but the imitrex won't cut it. Sinus meds help a little. I hope it is sinus. That would explain alot. But problem, I can't sleep the throbbing has been non stop for 2 weeks.

Monday. I see the Dr.
|

replied March 9th, 2004
Same Sharp Pain
I also have those sharp pains accompanied by blur vision, sensitivity to eye (photophobia) and I also feel light headed. Did you who experience the sharp pain also experience some of these symptoms?
|

replied March 9th, 2004
Same Sharp Pain
I also have those sharp pains accompanied by blur vision, sensitivity to eye (photophobia) and I also feel light headed. Did you who experience the sharp pain also experience some of these symptoms?
|

replied March 12th, 2005
Experienced User
Sharp Pains
Wow! I thought I was the only opne, ive had 2 brain ct's and an mri. I get the pressure feeling sharp pains and ear popping, and yes alot of times I get lightheaded and feel faint when they happen but ive been to the docs and hosoital so many times lol, im convinced im fine, and think if we all have these kinda of pains irt cant be anything bad
|

replied March 26th, 2005
I Feel So Much Better That I'm Not the Only One
I feel your pain! For about a month now I have had such pressure all over my head, my ears keep popping, and sometimes I get these intense sharp pains around my temple area that last for 5 to 10 seconds. I have been to so many doctors and in the hospital, and they kept putting me on different antibiotics for sinus infections, but when I am done with the medication I still have the pain. I feel like I am going crazy, and some days the pain is unbearable. Every doctor tells me they have no idea whats wrong.

I need help! Has anyone had this? Does it ever go away???

Im desperate.
|

replied March 29th, 2005
Me Too!
Yes I get sharp pains but in the side of my head near my temple, normally one side.
I have asked my doctor and he said that its some sort of headache and can be triggered by stress and many other things.

I normally find that I get a migraine or bad headache in the days following the shap pains.

Glad im not on my own anyway. :)
|

replied November 15th, 2005
Am the Same
Hi everyone one am a newbie and its great because I have exactly what you all got and I happen to come across this site as I typed in description of pains am experiencing.
I get them in different areas of my head say like for a couple seconds then it would radiate maybe to my hand, elbow, foot. I also feel it whatever way I move about say like stooping down for something. I don't think its serious either (eventhough I do get paranoid sometimes) because am putting up with them this past few years, I did go to the doctor before about them and he said if they get any worse to go back but they didn't so i'll probably just leave it at that. I think this kinda symdrome can be down to stress and depression as I feel like that sometimes. But do any of you notice when you are active or too busy you don't get them as much? Oh and I do get very bad pimples around my neck and such so I was kinda blaming them for it, possibility?

Greetings from ireland,
franco
|

replied November 26th, 2005
Hi
Hello I get stabing pines in my head to I is hobblie what do people do to stop that pian

caroline
|

replied November 26th, 2005
Experienced User
My daughter and I have had pretty good luck using butalbital for that kind of headache. Sometimes an icepack on my neck or head can also bring some relief.

When I have a migraine I take advil liquid gels and a benedryl and go to bed.......
|

replied September 25th, 2011
You might ask yoiur Dr about Imetrex if they get worse. I am on it and I take the injections, they releave the pain in like 15 minutes as the injections go straight to your blood stream. I will take the imetrex pill if I caught it early enough or it is night time or at home so I can lay down with it. Pray you & your daughter get rid of these horrible headaches! I have had them sense I was 5 years old. My mom (Rip-She is with God now) had them so bad that she couldn't get out of bed when they attacked her. This was back in the early 70's and they didn't have the great medication that they have today.
|

replied November 27th, 2005
Hi cool can you tell me how long you have them? Does the pains radiate to different areas? Because these are the sort of random dull pains I experience but seeing as I have them soo long am not too worried about them although I am going to get a full check-up to put my mind at rest, so I suggest you do too because your just gonna keep worrying and its not worth it just for a simple trip to the doctor.

Take care,
franco
|

replied December 15th, 2005
I have had the same symptoms but only my headache is dull and many times faint... Is random but more often than not its at night or early morning .. Is it the same thing??
|
Tags: Headache
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....