Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Survey On Views of Abortion

Hi, i'm doing an research experiment for my isu project in sociology. So, I did a survey and I hope you will fill it out :). It will only take about 5 minutes or so.
This survey is only towards young to older adults. But all of you can do it if you want :wink:.

Anyways, here's the survey! Please fill it out!

Are you male or female?
Male, female.

How old are you?
18-30, 31-50, 50+.

Are you religious?
Yes, no.

If yes, what type of religion are you?

do u favor abortion?
Yes.
Maybe.
No.

Do you believe that a fetus in a women's body is just undeveloped tissue or a start in where human life begins?
Undeveloped tissue.
Undeveloped tissue and human life.
Human life.

Do you believe that if a woman became pregnant because she was a product of incest, that she should have an abortion?
Yes.
Maybe or depends.
No.

Do you believe that if a woman became pregnant because she was a product of rape, that she should have an abortion?
Yes.
Maybe or depends.
No.

If a woman's life is threatened by the pregnancy of the baby, should she have
an abortion?
Yes.
Maybe or depends.
No.

Do you believe that having an abortion will take one's life away?
Yes.
Maybe or depends.
No.

Do you believe that a woman should be able to choose if she wants an abortion or should it be the government's choice?
Woman's choice.
Depends.
Government's choice.

The end!
Thanks everybody.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 31st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Survey On Views of Abortion
Are you male or female?
Female.

How old are you?
18-30,

are you religious?
No.

do u favor abortion?
Maybe. If the woman wants it

do you believe that a fetus in a women's body is just undeveloped tissue or a start in where human life begins?
Undeveloped tissue.

Do you believe that if a woman became pregnant because she was a product of incest, that she should have an abortion?
Maybe or depends. It's up to her.

Do you believe that if a woman became pregnant because she was a product of rape, that she should have an abortion?
Maybe or depends. It's up to her

if a woman's life is threatened by the pregnancy of the baby, should she have
an abortion?
Maybe or depends. It's up to her again

do you believe that having an abortion will take one's life away?
.Maybe or depends. Well it it's backalley or by a coat hanger.. Or a safe abortion somehow botched..It could potentially kill the woman but botched abortions are rare if they were performed in a clinic.

Do you believe that a woman should be able to choose if she wants an abortion or should it be the government's choice?
Woman's choice.

The end!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Are you male or female?
Female.

How old are you?
18-30

are you religious?
No.

Catholic

do u favor abortion?
No.

Do you believe that a fetus in a women's body is just undeveloped tissue or a start in where human life begins?

Human life.

Yes.

Maybe or depends

an abortion?
Yes.

Yes.

Woman's choice.

The end!
Thanks everybody.

|

Extremely eHealthy
moonemerald wrote:
are you male or female?
male
Quote:
how old are you?
31-50
Quote:
are you religious?
yes
Quote:
if yes, what type of religion are you?
society of friends (quaker)
Quote:
do u favor abortion?
no. I favor the woman having the right to decide on her own. Abortion is never preferred, as it would be better to prevent the pregnancy in the first place. However, if she faces an unwanted pregnancy, then I strongly favors her right to an abortion without any limitations. (your survey questions are rather imprecise)
Quote:
do you believe that a fetus in a women's body is just undeveloped tissue or a start in where human life begins?
neither. It is tissue of human origin, developing towards becoming a human being at birth. (again, your options are poor. Andf given that the "fetus" stage is from the 9th week of pregnancy until birth, that is a weird staqge of development to focus on. Did you by any chance mean "zygote," the stage immediately after fertilization? The words you use do matter, so I would suggest that you learn what they are and what they mean)
Quote:
do you believe that if a woman became pregnant because she was a product of incest, that she should have an abortion?
no. I don't believe that she "should" do anything. But if she is a victim of incest and want to abort the pregnancy, then she should be able to, no questions asked.

Quote:
do you believe that if a woman became pregnant because she was a product of rape, that she should have an abortion?
no. Once again, you are using the word "should." she "should" not do anything. It is not anybody's business to impose on her and tell her what she "should" do. Your question would be more accurate if you replaced "should" with "could."
Quote:
if a woman's life is threatened by the pregnancy of the baby, should she have an abortion?
no. She "should" be able to chose an abortion or reject an abortion. She "should" not either have or not have an abortion. The choice is her's or the one who speaks for her if she is unable to do so herself.

Quote:
no. Abortions are very safe and the risk of the woman dying is very slim, much more so than if she was giving birth
Quote:
do you believe that a woman should be able to choose if she wants an abortion or should it be the government's choice?
woman's choice.

Your survey is rather weird and shows a significant confusion about the pro-choice position. I suspect that you are a pro-lifer based on your choice of words, but you will not get accurate and useful answers from pro-choice people in the way you worded it. I would strongly suggest that you reword your survey and then repost it in order to get more clear and unambiguous replies. Every time you ask if the woman "should" anything, you will get a "no" from a pro-choicer. Likewise, you will get a "no" from a pro-lifer, so exactly what would be the usefullness of the replies you get?
|

replied January 1st, 2005
Thanks jlee. :)

oh, and steen, this survey is mainly towards your own beliefs on what she should do; not her beliefs. I am researching what people believe what the woman should do, if she somehow didn't have the choice.

But nonetheless, thank you for the pointers.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Are you male or female?
Female.

How old are you?
18-30

are you religious?
Yes

_non-denominational________________

do u favor abortion?
No

Human life.

Maybe or depends.

Maybe or depends.

If a woman's life is threatened by the pregnancy of the baby, should she have
an abortion?
Maybe or depends.

Yes.

Neither!! I think it is god's choice.
|

Extremely eHealthy
moonemerald wrote:
oh, and steen, this survey is mainly towards your own beliefs on what she should do; not her beliefs. I am researching what people believe what the woman should do, if she somehow didn't have the choice.
your wording still doesn't make sense. I don't ever believe that the woman "should" do anything whatsoever. It simply isn't my business and I have no right to tell her what she "should" do. If that truly was what you were trying to find out, then fine.

If you wanted my attitude towards the woman having an abortion under the different scenarios given, then "should" is not a good word to use. Rather, something like "is it acceptable for the woman to abort if...." would be much better

as I pointed out, a pro-lifer don't think she "should" have an abortion because they feel she shouldn't have an abortion ever. Pro-life don't think she "sjhould" do anything as she isn't required to do anything, but still is free to chose an abortion for whatever reason she may have. As such, by using "should," you obtain the same response, "no" from both, even if the views are diametrically opposed.

So it simply is a problem of the wording of your survey not picking up that difference.
|

replied January 2nd, 2005
moonemerald wrote:
are you male or female?

.Female.
Quote:
how old are you?
18-30, 31-50, 50+.

18-30
Quote:
are you religious?

.Yes.
Quote:

.Non-denominational christian. Also, I have been exploring the ancient .Goddess religions lately so I may, as yet, be in transition.

Quote:
do u favor abortion?

no, I do not "favor" abortion. I would like to see a culture and society where abortions were not necessary except to save the woman's life. As it is currently, I see abortions as neccessary "evils" due to our culture and social structure.

I would not use the word "favor" in an objective survey.
Quote:

.Undeveloped tissue and a *potential*, *possible* start of human life.

When I first saw this question, I immediately asked "a fetus at what level of development?". Obviously, a very young fetus is more undeveloped than a third trimester fetus. Therefore, this question is purposefully vague.
Quote:
do you believe that if a woman became pregnant because she was a product of incest, that she should have an abortion?

no, I do not believe that she *"should"* do anything except for what she personally wants to do. I do not believe that she *should* have an abortion, unless she wants to obtain an abortion just like I do not believe that she *should* continue gestating the pregnancy, uless that is her choice.

I would not use the word "should" in an objective survey.
Quote:
do you believe that if a woman became pregnant because she was a product of rape, that she should have an abortion?

no, I do not believe that she *should* do anything except for what she personally wants to do. Again, use of the word "should" is not the best choice for this question. It tends to make the survey less objective and points to a possible injection of personal beliefs.
Quote:
an abortion?

again, a woman *.S.H.O.U.L.D* do whatever she feels or wants to do. While I would personally encourage her to seek an abortion to save her life, the choice is ultimately hers and I would never tell a woman that they "should" do one thing or another.

Also, use of the word "baby" is also very unobjective and is not technically correct to use in a survey of this subject matter. The question is more correct posed thusly: "if a woman's life is threatened by a pregnancy, is it acceptable for her to obtain an abortion?".
Quote:

not unless something goes horribly wrong with the procedure and the woman dies from complications.

Who is this "one" referred to in the question? In a pregnancy, only a woman is involved. Perhaps the question would be better phrased as: "do you believe that an abortion ends a (potential) human life?". The word "potential" is in paranthesis to keep the question as politically correct as possible since many people believe that a fetus is only a potential human life.
Quote:
do you believe that a woman should be able to choose if she wants an abortion or should it be the government's choice?

yes, it is my personal belief that women "should" (more that it is acceptable) be able to legally choose to obtain an abortion.

Again, the word "should" is not the one I would have chosen.
|

replied January 3rd, 2005
Female

religious-yes

religion-wicca

quick answer: no I do not believe in abortion at all for any reason. It is human life. Abortion takes away a life and it should not be anyones choice, gov't or the woman.
|