Can anyone tell me if this is true:

if you take a diuretic and need to go to the restroom later a lot, then you obviously had excess water build up (edema).

Or

does the diuretic work *even if* you are not experiencing edema and thus, is leeching your system of needed water?

Thanks in advance,
ladybrannon
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 22nd, 2003
Where the Bathroom???
Diuretics, commonly known as "water pills," help your body get rid of unneeded water and salt through the urine. Getting rid of excess fluid makes it easier for your heart to pump.

Diuretics are categorized as thiazide-like (zaroxolyn and esidrix), loop (lasix, bumex) or potassium-sparing (aldactone). Thiazide diuretics cause moderate increases in water excretion and are appropriate for long-term use. Loop diuretics are more powerful and are especially useful in emergencies. Potassium-sparing diuretics help your body retain the mineral potassium and are often prescribed in conjunction with the other two types of diuretics.

It is suggested that you increase your water intake while using diuretics to avoid dehydration, naseua and dizzyness. Also if you need to take two doses a day, take the last one late in the afternoon, to allow yourself to sleep at night.

Remember diuretics are not to be used as a means of weight loss, as they drain the body of needed potassium and other minerals. They should be used under a drs. Care only.

Hope this information was helpful.

Stephanie
|

replied October 22nd, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Trying to Find a Balance With the Diuretic...
It does.

I am just having a hard time finding a happy medium. If I take one, then I don't get rid of enough of the swelling. If I take two, then I become so dehydrated my eyes hurt.

If I take 2 one day then none the next, then you can forget it. I can barely walk by the end of the off day. And to be honest, it gets two to three times worse when I go into my "monthly"...The swelling goes from my extremeties to pretty much everywhere.

I have tried four or five types of diutretics. The current one does the best job of getting rid of the swelling (or edema), but I still cannot find a happy medium. Lasix does pretty much nothing. If you combine lasix and zaroxlyn, I get an okay response. Spinoractline (and I so did not spell that correctly) did nothing, as well. I am currently taking torsemide (generic name, I believe).

Is anyone else having such problems with their edema issues?

And in case anyone is wondering, this is *all* being done under a doctor's care just like stephanie suggested. We just cannot find a good response to the issue.

And stephanie is *not* kidding when she says that it sucks potassium (k) out of you! I have had serious hypokelemia on and off over the last two years because of these drugs. At one point, my k test came back at 1.9! The doctor was *not* happy about that one! Lol!

Thanks again,
ladybrannon
|

replied October 23rd, 2003
Experienced User
Speaking of Peeing.
Hi everyone,

i have never used diuretics but I probably should, my stomach swells with water and I look like i'm pregnant. Sad

i have another question that sort of pretains to this issue. Does anyone find that they pee twice as much when they are on prednisone? I started on the pred again last friday and all i'm doing is peeing. I'm having to get up at least twice a night. I haven't increased my fluid intake by that much. I treat my dry mouth with gum, lemon suckers etc... I can't really explain why it is happening. Confused

Cheers,
jenn Cool
|

Jenn:

since I am new to the site, I do not know all of your dx's

have you been tested for sjogren's syndrome. The schirmer's tests is an easy 1 minute test that can be performed by your eye Dr.

Symptoms of sjögren's syndrome include extremely dry eyes and mouth for at least 3 months. You may have itching and burning in your eyes, and your mouth may feel as though it is full of cotton.

(((hugs))) stephanie
|

to Jenn
I did find myself "peeing" all the time on steroids; however, I was suffering from drug-induced diabetes.

Have they checked you for that?

I am glad to see you posting again. What did the doctor have to say?
Hugs,
ladybrannon
|

Diuretics
I am also on a thiazide diuretic and even taking 2 a day does not get rid of all my swelling. I also don't pee as much as I thought I would. But if I miss - I really notice a difference esp under my eyes and in my fingers. I probably should ask for a stronger one, but I am afraid too. I have been on this for about a year.
|

to Sue...
I know *exactly* how you feel. I started trying to hide my ankles from the doctor because I was sick of trying new diuretics. She caught on when I complained that I could not walk and it was *not* the normal joint pain. *sigh*

i have been in this unbalanced quagmire ever since...Let me know what they do if you tell them! I would love for some input when I see the doctor next thursday! And, if I find anything out, i'll let you know! Okay?

Hugs,
ladybrannon
|

Experienced User
Sam43
Hey there,

i was diagnosed with sle in 1999. I had the malar rash which extended down my arms and legs. My rash is pretty much gone now with the help of plaquenil. I have rhumatoid arthritis, acid reflux, chronic muscle pain, light sensitivity, rhynauds phenomenon, etc... All of which my doctors contribute to lupus. I don't have any kidney involvment but I do have some lung involvment that seems to be much better since I quit smoking a pack a day. :d

i have also suffered a major depression for which I had to be removed from high school and medicated. I am now 22 and off the anti-depressants.

Oh yeah I also have really bad ibs. Mostly chronic stomach pain.

I am taking plaquenil 200mg bid everyday and I was recently put back on prednisone for a while with the doseage going like this 30mg x 5 days, 20mg x 5 days, then 10 mg x 14 days. I take different things for pain from atasol 30, flexeril, amytriptiline, tylenol, advil, demerol,etc...

I have never been tested for sjorgens syndrome, most of the reason I have dry mouth is because of the drugs.

My biggest symptom of lupus is unfortunately fatigue. Most people don't understand because it is not something they can see like the rash.

I have recently had some symptoms of cns involvment and am scheduled for an eeg in november.

Thats my history in a small nut shell.

Cheers,
jenn Cool
|

Oh jenn, you poor dear, you have indeed been through some rough stuff.

The only thing I can suggest is that you speak to your dr about pain management and perhaps counseling...Depression is a by product of lupus and of the meds they give us to make things better.

I know you battled depression and won in the past, don't let it get to that point again if you can avoid it.

Take care - soft (((hugs))) - stephanie
|

replied January 27th, 2004
Experienced User
to Stephanie
Hi it's mia,

I have only logged on a few times, but I have been looking for others that have sjorgens. I have been having dry eye and light sensitivity that are making me nauseous and dizzy. I'm trying to find an answer to these problems. I have been trying to look up info elsewhere also.

Thanks mia
|

replied July 6th, 2010
Lasix may be taken on an empty stomach or with food. Take Lasix tablets with a glass of water.

Lasix tablets are usually taken once or twice a day.

Take Lasix tablets at about the same time each day unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Taking your medicine at the same time each day will have the best effect. It will also help you remember when to take the medicine. Do not stop taking Lasix, or change the dosage, without checking with your doctor.

If your doctor prescribes Lasix tablets to be taken once a day, it is best done in the morning, for example, before breakfast.

If you are taking Lasix tablets more than once a day, take your first dose immediately before breakfast and take your last dose around 2:00 pm (on an empty stomach), unless your doctor tells you otherwise.

Make sure you drink enough water during any exercise and during hot weather when you are taking Lasix, especially if you sweat a lot.

If you forget to take Lasix and there is still a long time to go before your next dose, take it as soon as you remember, and then go back to taking it as you would normally. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed and take the next dose when it is due. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.

Keep your Lasix tablets at room temperature, away from heat and moisture.
|

replied July 29th, 2010
Experienced User
lupus - we need to recognise social and depression issues
I have a friend with lupus and people do not really realise the struggle she has to go through every day. But I realise because she keeps her feelings to herself about how she feels about her lupus.

Unfortunately she does not realise the impact of always hanging round with my sister when I invited her back to the house. Eventually she used to come round just to visit my sister. I missed out on about 5 years of social skills because my friend with lupus would not let me make friends at school either, seperate to her.

So what I'm saying is: maybe some people with lupus who cannot express their feelings with certain people, should try and seek some kind of councelling - because I see this disease as an inner struggle - my friend thinks she has a 'wierd' body because of the lupus, she eats rabbit food all the time and does not cook proper meals, she's addicted to making cakes and sweet things. I would like to help her, but find her moods or selective forgetfulness when it comes to paying for drinks when we go out, rather difficult to tolerate.

Everyone's got problems. I just wish I could talk to her in a way that she could express her hidden feelings to me about lupus and not have the need to sneak around being friends with my sister - which they have done since I was diagnosed with scizophrenia so as to not hurt my feelings.

Often they sit around in front of the tv and repeat certain quirky sayings off films and memorize whole junks of films - eg. ben and ted's journey. Is that normal behaviour? My friend with lupus and I were in the same year group so you can imagine what it did to my school works to be constantly left out like this and the worry thinking my friend and my sister were communicating about me behind my back.

I wish there had been some way to diagnose her lupus a lot earlier and it would have lead to her settling more in our year group and not depending on my younger sister for a friend. My younger sister has gone to a top university and has a top job - I have struggled studying, got into a medioka uni but didnt pass the first year because I was too traumatized.
|
Tags: edema, lupus
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Paul A. Andrews
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....