Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Can I Get Pregnant After My Ovulation Days Are Over??

I have calculated when I ovulate each month (the certain days, according to when I have my period)... My question is... If semen gets inside me after the ovulation days have passed but before my new period, can I still get pregnant? Thanks so much guys and gals!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper UnknownABC
|

replied December 13th, 2004
Experienced User
Very Possible!
Yes you can, because of the fact that your cycle is not always positively going to be the same. Stress, nutrition, and other factors affect your cycle. The best way to know exactly when you are ovulating is by recording your basal body temp every morning or by using ovulation predictor kits or something like that. Most likely it will be about 14 days before you start your period, assuming you have a normal luteal phase, but like I said before you will never know exactly when you are going to start. For instance, you may ovulate on the 14th day of one cycle and the 21st day of another cycle. So the answer to your question is yes you can be pregnant! In any case, I hope you get what you want whether it be to have a baby, or to not have a baby. Smile take care!
|

Experienced User
Very Possible!
Yes you can, because of the fact that your cycle is not always positively going to be the same. Stress, nutrition, and other factors affect your cycle. The best way to know exactly when you are ovulating is by recording your basal body temp every morning or by using ovulation predictor kits or something like that. Most likely it will be about 14 days before you start your period, assuming you have a normal luteal phase, but like I said before you will never know exactly when you are going to start. For instance, you may ovulate on the 14th day of one cycle and the 21st day of another cycle. So the answer to your question is yes you can be pregnant! In any case, I hope you get what you want whether it be to have a baby, or to not have a baby. Smile take care!
|

Experienced User
Very Possible!
|

replied December 14th, 2004
What sadler said is exactly correct. I also wanted to add that if you know when you ovulate (your fertile time) and you know that you did ovulate then no you can not get pregnant after ovulation occurs. But just like sadler said cycles normally are not exactly the same so it is often difficult to say exactly when you are ovulating unless you use ovulation predictors or charting you basal body temperature.
|

replied December 28th, 2004
Experienced User
I thought there was a small weeney chance to get preg any time of the month? Hmm I think im wrong lyke normal.
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
can i have a baby?
i have a question so can i still get pregnant two days after i had my ouvlation day and dont you know when you is ouvating you have one more fertile day left what if i miss that and the next day i had sex and his sperm is n me can i get pregnant???
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
tatyana2011, your egg dies within 24 hours of ovulation if it is not fertilized.
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
tatyana2011, your egg dies within 24 hours of ovulation if it is not fertilized.

And what are the reasons that sometimes the egg is not fertilized??
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
maria_l, There are many reasons:

* 24 hours is the best case scenario. It is more likely 8 to 14 hours that the egg will stay viable.
* His sperm have to meet the egg during that time. They have to be healthy and alive enough to penetrate the egg.
* The genetics of the egg and/or sperm can be faulty or not compatible and that will mean that it will just die and not grow. This is especially an issue as we grow older.
* The fertilized egg will then have to implant in the uterus many days later. Something that is not guaranteed by any means.
* The uterus may terminate the implanted egg because of genetic problems. The fertilized egg might be incompatible with the mother, or it may be flawed and will put the mother's or baby's life at risk if allowed to grow.

Sperm ejaculated inside you a day or 2 days before ovulation have the best chance to be there and ready when you ovulate. The sperm that he ejaculate inside you those days should also be relatively fresh. He can keep his supply fresh by ejaculating about a day or two days before you try to have sex to make a baby. It does not matter if it is during sex or masturbation.

It is actually more difficult to get pregnant than we are led to believe. Only one in three couples that are having healthy sex at the right time will be pregnant after a cycle. The average time for healthy couples to get pregnant are 3 months. Only after 12 months will doctors consider investigating for problems.

Does this answer your questions?
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....