Hi, i'm a 20 y/o male. I'm not sure how long i've had it, but recently i've noticed a numb spot on the outside of my right leg just above the knee. It's irregular in shape and encompasses about the size of say 10-20 sq inches. The numbness is completely superficial because I can feel pain sensation below the skin, but the skin itself is totally numb. I know this isn't normal, but is this a serious problem? I haven't had any type of traumatic injury that might injure a nerve, and I exercise regularly. Thanks Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 8th, 2004
Experienced User
The same thing happened to me my freshman year of college. I was on a bus and had put my knees up on the seat in front of me the entire time. My feet had fallen asleep and I noticed afterwards that a spot on my leg, just below my knee, stayed numb. As I remember it was about the size of my fist and it was in the spot that had been pressed against the seat in front of me. I thought it was weird but never went to the doctor. That spot on my leg stayed numb for several months before it finally went away on its own. It was exactly how you described it - numb at the surface but I still had feeling underneath the skin. The only thing I can think of is I somehow damaged a nerve that eventually after several months cured itself. It was definitely a weird experience.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....