Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

My 6 Month Old Is Too Whiny...

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Confused My 6 month old son is fussy all the time! If I put him down he cries, if he cant reach his favorite toy he cries, Crying or Very sad he gets frustrated, cranky. And dont get me wrong, he isnt spoiled. I usually let him lye on his stomach and he plays with his toys. Now he seems like he is in demand for constant fun.....What should I do? Is it just because of teething..Or is this a stage he is going through.....And Idea ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper NannyC
|

replied February 1st, 2005
Re:cranky Baby
Hey there, I have a nine month old son and I can tell you that if your baby hasn't got any teeth yet, that he is probably teething it is usually the bottom front teeth that come in first, if you notice that the gums are red and swollen baby oral gel or ambelsol work great, also infant tylenlol should help ease the pain of teething. Hope this can help you nicole25 :d
|

replied July 26th, 2005
I Thought I Was Alone!!!
Hey there!

It's nice to know we are not alone when our 6 month old daughter seems to be throwing tantrums because she can't get her bottle to her mouth, can't grasp that toy just right, or just doesn't want to be buckled into her carseat.

I have been scanning through the internet the last few days trying to get to the bottom of this and haven't quite figured it out yet...Once I do i'll pass the advice on or if you do please, please, please let me know what we can do to help our daughter along.

It doesn't seem to be teething. Her teeth seem to be coming through, but when we use the orajel and tylenol as a last resort not much changes. Hunger and sleepiness seem to make it worsen the behavior, but she seems constantly frustrated!

I have a hunch (just a hunch) our children are bright for their ages and when their bodies can't do what their minds want them to do it gets them frustrated, but then what? Where do we go from here? They are still too young to understand and how long does this last? Her 6 month Dr. Appt. Is comming up aug. 4th and i'll ask her for advice also.

Nicki
|

replied August 1st, 2005
Experienced User
It sounds like colic to me. My mom tells me I was colic when I was a baby. Aka cried all the time
|

replied August 1st, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
None of mine had colick, but if a baby has an ear ache, or the flu, or even a cold virus they get really cranky, wont eat, and want to be held all the time.

They have no way to tell us. Watch for grabing at ears, trouble swollowing, not eating right, diarrhea. Just to mention a few. Check for fever or higher temps upon waking.

They could have some of these symptoms or none of them it just depends on the baby.
|

replied July 14th, 2008
my son is teething
my son is teething, he is 6month, he is a really happy baby, never get no problems, he has some days were he gets really upset, its normal, he suffered colic and life was really busy rushing round him trying to keep him happy then 3months passed and he was a total new baby.
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
At 6 months babies hit that age of "separation anxiety". My baby is six months as well and just hit that stage. They all do. Don't worry, it's nothing you did and it's normal: and actually a very good sign that your baby is hitting just another one of those developmental milestone that he should, and right on time Smile

Babies just need an little extra reassurance that you aren't leaving forever when you need to leave the room. Lots of games of peekaboo and a friendly reassurance that you will be back accompanied by a wave will help him realize that even though you are not in sight, he can still feel safe because you are still "there".
|

replied September 28th, 2010
My about to be six month old is so whiney I can't stand it. He was always smiling cooing and happy but now he totally uses that whine to get what he wants.. toy.. food.. change of scenary If you have a solution let me know. His second bottom tooth came in last week.
|

replied October 21st, 2010
6 month old little boy is constantly fussy!!!
Hey guys, I am 27 year old nanny who has had tons of experience with new borns and toddlers. After reading this forum I feel not so much alone. I am currently help raise a 6 month old little boy who seems to be suffering from bad seperation anxiety (to the point where neither I nor his mother can leave the room for longer than a minute with out him crying). The mother has asked me literally take this little guy in the bathroom with me while I poop or pee so that he never alone. I am definitely not for this idea because in the bigger picture I see this making it a habit that will be hard to break in the future. The mom is constantly running to his every whim even if there is nothing wrong (has been fed, changed, burped, read to ect.) I am at a loss and this little guy is wearing me out!! He also does nap longer than an hour at a time. ANY ADVICE FOR ME AND THIS NEW MOMMY?!??!
thanks for listening,
C
|

replied October 21st, 2010
Now he's going to be seven months in a week or so and screams when he doesn't get his way, if a toy frustrates him or if he doesn't want to be in his exersaucer, jumper, or on his floor mat. He is loud if his whine doesn't get results. When he gets what he wants he turns on the charm and gives a big smile. He certainly communicates without using any words.
|

replied February 7th, 2011
My daughter is 10 months and has been doing this whiny thing for about 3 months now. She used to whine when she couldn't reach a toy or bottle, but now she does it constantly. I can't even think about leaving the room! Now she follows me around the house and pulls on my pant leg and wants to be picked up. I usually pick her up, then she squirms to get back down, so I put her down and she starts crying like she's hurt. I try to give her lots of things to do, and the only thing that seems to help is a Baby Einstein world languages video(and it only works for about 10 mins, then back to the whining! And she does the big smile when she gets what she wants.
I agree with the earlier post. I think we are BLESSED with very very smart babies who have a hard time communicating because they can't speak yet. I really hope she learns to talk SOON!
|

replied April 18th, 2011
My little boy is 6 1/2 months old and it was so hard having a colicky baby but then he got alot better. Then came teething that wasn't fun either He got his two bottom teeth finally but is still always cranky. The only thing that seems to help is going outside or bath time. When we are inside playing with jumpers or toys he is only content for 10 minutes or less. I hope it gets better and i hope if i have another baby its not this hard. How do women have multiple children? I know i'm blessed but it's still hard. I just want him to be happy!
|

replied April 18th, 2011
My little boy is 6 1/2 months old and it was so hard having a colicky baby but then he got alot better. Then came teething that wasn't fun either He got his two bottom teeth finally but is still always cranky. The only thing that seems to help is going outside or bath time. When we are inside playing with jumpers or toys he is only content for 10 minutes or less. I hope it gets better and i hope if i have another baby its not this hard. How do women have multiple children? I know i'm blessed but it's still hard. I just want him to be happy!
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
Seven month only that cries and fusses all the time~!
OMG, you totally sound like me kelli5921! My daughter is the same way. She was born with gastric reflux - horrible. Then once that got better, she started with this nonstop crying and whining and I feel I haveto entertain her ALL day! She too will only be in the Jolly Jumper or Exersaucer for just 10 minutes which is nothing! And my issue is I have two other children! It's so hard...there are days I get down about it because I'm so exhausted physically and emotionally from it. But it does make me feel better too if she turns out to be a bright child!
|

replied September 16th, 2011
my daughters 8mnths and shes so wingy shes bin crawling since 41/2 months so id fort it would get better its got worst she now follow me around pulls on me pick her up wont stay still put her down crys its weierd 4 me as my son ws the most well behaved lil boy but starting to copy his sister to get attention i beleve?? im thinkin did i eat something or do something wrong when pregnant with my daughter iv took her to doctors thinkin she was ill coz she was crying all the time they said shes fine has anyone found out y and this happens or how u can make it better thank you if u can help
|

replied April 18th, 2012
6 month old baby very bery fussy
wow this all sounds very familiar!
My baby is 6 months and has been very very fussy since birth, we figured out the first 4 weeks were because she was starvin marvin...she was not getting any breast milk(i was feeding every hour so thought she can't possibly be hungry) but she was as soon as i went on to aptamil she was fine ie not screaming all the time...but still very very fussy. A few weeks back i had 2 days where she was an angel and i realised how easy it is if your baby is chilled....she then went back to cranky again since. Constant whingy/annoyed noises and same only is entertained by a toy etc for around 10 mins....if i do pick her up she doesnt like cuddles....which all makes me feel terrible! Although she is an amazing sleeper....so god knows!
|

replied April 24th, 2013
whiny 6 month old
Kelwop your situation is identical to mine. My little girl will be 7 months in 4 days and whines constantly. She is only content when I'm holding her and walking her around. She gets bored with everything after 15 minutes and hates being on her belly. She's great if I take her out to stores or walking her in the stroller but if I stop moving with her she starts crying. She is a great sleeper though. I can lay her down and she is more then happy to go to bed and will sleep all night. I also had problems with her being colicky because of breast milk and then had to put her on soy formula. Let me know if you come up with any way to resolve this or even if you find out why they are like this.
|

replied June 4th, 2013
Kelwop and kgrif, Same here. My daughter just turned 6 mo and is very whiney, unless she's eating, sleeping or being carried around. It makes it so hard to do things, especially since I have a 2 yr old as well. I just want to be able to enjoy her! She hates tummy time, so I can hardly let her practice rolling over, or practice anything for that matter! She is also a GREAT sleeper, so no complaints there so far. I do notice that she seems pretty happy in the sitting position on the floor, so I am hopeful that once she can master sitting on her own and playing, I might get some relief! But right now I am tearing my hair out!
|
Tags: stomach
Quick Reply