Crying or Very sad I was a vegetarian for health & ethical reasons. For the past few months I ate only eggs & dairy products plus lots of soy for my proteins. Now my hair is falling out! Plus it's dull & dry & doesn't grow. I'm not sure if that's because of the diet but that's all that I can think of. Yet I read about how bad the fat in meat is for you & how americans eat too much animal protein.
I've started eating some organic turkey & salmon again, with a bad conscience, within the last week. So far no change in the hair situation. Does anyone else have this dilemma? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2005
Experienced User
I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years now, and I admit i'm still not that good of one for a variety of reasons--i don't consume nearly as much protein per day as I should. I'm only 19yo so this deficiency probably wouldn't mean hair loss for me, and I still have a full head. Perhaps something else is wrong and you should have a chat with your doctor. Also, you can't expect a change in hair loss to begin being cured in a week--it takes times for hair to grow and such.
|

replied July 6th, 2005
I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't like most red meats so I have been experiencing similar problems from time to time. I have to agree with mistherd13, you will probably need to wait longer than a week for improvements, but I do believe that the salmon is a good idea. The turkey probably doesn't make such a difference, but salmon has lots of omega-3 fatty acids which are great for your hair, they should prevent the dry and brittleness. Sorry to depress, but the only other sources of omega-3 fatty acids that I can think of are fish like tuna and mackerel and trout.
I think sometimes they attribute hair loss to a deficiency in b vitamins and zinc. Because of this, recently, I have taken to snacking a lot on almonds, peanuts, walnuts and other kinds of nuts because they have lots of zinc in (which is quite hard to come by otherwise) and b vitamins. Peas, beans and carrots are also good sources of b vitamins.

Hope that helps!
|

replied October 26th, 2005
Well I can honestly say I think the proble,m may be deeper rooted than youe diet, I am veggie my self but I dont eat eggs or dairy not for any reason just purley they freak me out and my hair is lush. :)
|
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....