Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

So I Read More...here Is My New Question.

Ok so I am confused. I know the shot is supposed to take affect right away. Well so said people I know.
About six days after the shot I had unprotected sex and I just read on the planned parenthood site that it doesn't taske affect until two weeks later and to use a back up method if you don't get the shot during your period.
Well I got the shot a week before my period. So I dont know if I was protected yet. Also the shot is supposed to stop ovulation...A week before my period is typical ovulation time. How possible is it I could be pregnant? I have to wait like four weeks even to find out, but I am freaking out... Someone make sense of all of this for me please.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 28th, 2004
Experienced User
Which shot is this exactly?

When I was 14 I used too have a shot in my bum, that stopped ovulation, it also stopped my periods (that dosent happen with everyone). It lasted 3 months at a time, then u go get another one. My doc also said that I wouldent be able too get pregnant 6 months after I stopped taking it, or it could be up too 2 years. I only had 3 shots 9 months. And in the 3 month period of having my second shot, I had a miscarriage.

If this sounds liek the shot that your having, I would advise you too have a blood test taken, and too use the condom aswell.
|

Experienced User
The depo shot yet...I was unaware there was another.

I don't think I can take a blood test for another two weeks
|

Experienced User
Yeh I had the depo.

A urine test could show up negative if u on the depo, so its best too take the blood test.
|

replied November 29th, 2004
Experienced User
Why would it show up neg if I were on the depo? I don't even think I can test for another few weeks.
|

Experienced User
Not 100% sure on this...

But I think.. The depo releases a hormone that tells your body not too ovulate, and dosent release so much of the watzit hormone that tells you if u are pregnant or not in a urine test.

Either that or it would tell you your pregnant everytime, because not ovulating, your body could think your pregnant.

So urine tests arnt very sure things when your on the depo, even when your on the pill.

Could be completly wrong, but thats about what I got from my doctor, with a bit of what I think thrown in there aswell.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I suggest u call ur doc and ask. That is what they r there for! If u r still worried then go to planned parenthood or ur doc for a blood test!! Good luck!
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...