To start off i've had throat problems my whole life. I can't go a full month without getting a nasty sore throat. While annoying, ive learned to live with it. Just today I felt a sore throat coming on.. Just on the right tonsil.. So I went up to a mirror to see how swollen it was, and noticed something... Right above my tonsil it looked like a little pocket, and I put my finger down in there and touched it.. As I did this a bunch of (not quite hard, but not soft) white balls came out... I also noticed that they had a strong odor to them. As I kept pushing on this pocket thing more came out but it wasn't little balls, it was just liquidy. Now my throat hurts more than it did before... What the heck? Should I go to a doctor and tell her about this? Any advice? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 30th, 2004
I know exactly what you are talking about with those smelly gross things. My sister and I both get them and the more people I tell, I find out its actually really common. We called them tonsil rocks. Way gross and smelly but it feels much better when they are removed. You may need to have your tonsils out. From what I have been told the rocks form from puss, not mucus and are a sign of an infection (however small it may be). The liquid that came out was probably !**@! would definately see your doc soon to talk about maybe getting your tonsils out and save yourself a lot of pain.
|

replied December 15th, 2004
Experienced User
Although my docter told me that they only take tonsils out nower days if it is very 'nesersery' (sp) so.. Like mine really needed to come out - I had g.F but no they wouldnt! Tough s* .Ha
|

replied December 18th, 2004
Tonsil Rocks
I too had these pesty "tonsil rocks". This happened for about a year, I kept them cleaned out with a q-tip. I did research on the web at the time and it stated that they were calcified food and are extremely common. After a year they only appear very occassionaly. Fyi I understand that once you get older than 20 recovery from a tonsilectomy can be 3 to 6 mos. And extremely painful. When you research on the webistes try "halitosis" I also search webmd.Com

good luck, mo
|

replied December 18th, 2004
They are called tonsiloliths "tonsil rocks" (not positive about the spelling). I get them, too. I lot of times mine pop out if I sneeze too hard! That can be embarrassing around other people...But I am certainly not going to swallow them!! I never talked to the doc about mine since I used to think they were normal for everyone. I would love to get my tonsils removed, but that's the least of my med problems right now, so i'll live with them. I do get tonsilitis and/or strep at least once a year (at 30 years old). Maybe that info will help!
|

replied January 15th, 2009
tonsil rocks
when i was in 10th or 11th grade in highschool i clearly remember eating Altoids mints and the next day seeing a little white spot in the back of my throat. i thought it was a little bitty chunk of an altoid so i took a q-tip and pushed at its sides and just like a zit (but with solid puss) this "rock" popped out!! i then started noticing them on both sides of my throat and using a q-tip to remove them became common every month or so. they do stink and they would also pop out randomly whenever i would sneeze. they would rest on the back of my tongue and i would have to stick my tongue out and kinda heave to "hock" them off of my tongue into a sink or something. i havent really had them since i was a teenager though. maybe it DOES have to do mostly with good hygene. i'm 25 and havent seen them. but it got so bad to where i could just feel a little sharp tickle or rub on the back of my tongue and i would just know that it was one of those tonsil rocks. i too never told my doctor about them. i thought they were common even though none of my friends knew what it was.
|

replied May 6th, 2009
Tonsils rocks are tonsilloliths
The scientific name for these white globs is tonsilloliths.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
pesky white things
my tonsil is full of them right now but my throat doesn't hurt. i picked at one with a qtip and heard it pop and blood started gushing out. it was quite scary because it bled for about 10 minutes straight before the blood started to clot. now i have a bloody mess back there. now my breath is gonna smell really gross as if it didn't already. oh and to top it all off im starting to get an ear ache because of it. but still no strep throat.
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
Why do "rocks" form in my tonsils?
I get the little tonsil rocks too. Sometimes I feel something scratch against the side of my tongue and i look in the mirror and I see something whitish poking out of my tonsils. I get a spoon or just press on it and they pop right out. Or if I cough too hard they pop out and I will start to choke on them. I have been told that these are just leftover minerals and other harmful things that have gotten into my mouth and my tonsils filtered out. That''s their entire function. It''s just because the little holes that my tonsils have to filter things are really small compared to others that don''t get the rocks. Gargling with listerine often helps remove them if they get stuck, sometimes they get really big before they come to the surface of the tonsil.
|

replied February 14th, 2012
HOLLISTIC TONSIL ROCK CURE!!
hey guys, i found a possible cure for tonsil rocks.

First, you need to focus on chewing your food more, and not scarfing down bites as quickly as you can. this promotes healthy digestion from throat to colon.

Second, drastically reduce your milk and dairy intake. Adults are not supposed to even be able to digest milk. milk is meant for babies. and cow's milk is meant for baby cows. human adults, if they care for their health, should avoid drinking milk on a routine basis. Milk encourages tonsil rock build up, and has all the necessary chemistry to add on to existing problems with the tonsils.

Lastly, dilute some apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle with water, and spray it in your tonsils before bed. This is a natural antibacterial agent, and is a folk legend for it's wide variety of yet unexplored benefits to the skin and digestive system.

Spread the word!
|

replied September 14th, 2012
After some research I found that tonsil rocks are a result of your lymphatic system trying to expel certain foods that your body cannot cope with in the form of calcified deposits. Removing your tonsils appears not to be advisable - they are there for a purpose and trying to expel 'poisons'. I read through different suggests and changed my diet and stopped eating nuts, cereals and shrimps - and within 2 days my tonsils were no longer swollen and no rocks, and no bad breath - for the first time in years! Other foods to avoid could include milk and sugary products. Change your diet and monitor the results....
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....