Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Horrible Story of Postpartum Depression

User Profile
I was watching the news last night and on there was a story about how a woman cut off her baby girls arms because she wouldnt stop crying. They played the 911 call that she placed and you could her the operator asking what happened and the mother just calmly said "i cut her arms off". I was shocked when I heard this story, how could anyone do that!?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 24th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Thats sick..
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Police: mom calls 911 to confess to severing baby's arms
infant dies on way to hospital
neighbors said a woman accused of killing her baby daughter by cutting off her arms seemed to be a loving, attentive mother.

But on monday, police charged the plano woman with capital murder in the gruesome death of her 11-month-old daughter. Police said dena schlosser, 35, amputated her infant's arms.

they say schlosser's two older daughters were at school and her husband was at work when the baby's arms were severed monday at the family's apartment.

On a 911 tape, the mother calmly tells an operator she cut off the girl's arms. A hymn plays in the background, the associated press reported. She then waited for police to arrive.

Police said that schlosser was quietly sitting in her living room when they arrived at the scene, while her daughter was bleeding to death in a back bedroom.

"[schlosser] was sitting inside the apartment. She had blood on her clothing," officer carl duke. "there was no indication from my officers about her being hysterical."

the baby was taken to a plano hospital, where she died.

Officials said schlosser admitted to cutting off her baby's arms.

"there were some statements made by the mother ... That indicate she was responsible for the injuries to this child," he said.

Neighbors said they were shocked to hear of the incident.

Michael lujan, who lives next door to the family, said there were no signs of trouble.

"they seemed like a sweet family, go out there and have a picnic under the trees. Just, I don't know, they seemed like a nice little family," he said.

Police officer carl duke

despite outward appearances, police and child welfare investigators said they had been to the home before.

In fact, child protective services opened a case on the family soon after the birth of the 11-month-old, kxas-tv in dallas reported.

They also reported that schlosser was suffering from post-partum depression and was receiving mental health care.

Schlosser was hospitalized for a few days when her husband told authorities she had been acting strangely since the birth of the third child.

Once she was released from the hospital, schlosser agreed to seek counseling and saw a psychiatrist, said marissa gonzales, a cps spokeswoman.

"when we investigated her case and opened the case up for intensive family based safety services, we referred mom to services that she fully participated in," said geoff wool, department of family and protective services spokesman.

Wool said the state agency conducted extensive monitoring of the case and accompanied schlosser and her family on some visits to mental health services.

Wool and gonzales said they could not say whether schlosser was on medication.

The case was closed in august.

"at the time we closed the case, we had been assured that mom was stabilized and that she was not a risk to herself or her children," wool told the associated press.

Schlosser went through counseling and was prescribed an anti-depressant drug. The case was closed aug. 9.

Previous story:
november 22, 2004: police: woman allegedly cuts arms off baby
copyright 2004 by nbc5.Com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
|

Extremely eHealthy
And that what they call post pardum depression..What?! I hope not!!! Thats murder!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I saw a little blurb on cnn about that yesterday. That's sick.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
The way it goes is

1. Baby blues

2. Post partum depression

3. Post partum mania
|

Extremely eHealthy
That is so sad
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Its difficult when it comes to mania cause there isnt much that can be done but its very difficult to prove in court and women naturally get harsher sentences than men and thats messed up but people lose sight of the cases when a child is involved, if she was suffereing from post partum mania she needs to be put in a hospital for the rest of her life
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ya she does!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I had a friend call me shortly after she had her baby. She told me that she was going to throw her baby off the balcony and to come stop her. I got there in time, and she got help for post partum depression. That was really scary. Thank god we lived in the same building otherwise it could've turned out really badly. I don't really tell people about it though because then they judge her. She's a great mom now she just needed help.
|

Experienced User
That is sooo sad
|

Experienced User
Oh god how could someone sit there and cut off an 11 months old arms?? Maybe i'm mean but I don't think people should get a lighter sentencing even if they supposedly have some sort of mental disorder. I am schizoaffective and I could never sit there and do something like that to my daughter. Then again I am on meds and go to a therapist, but I wasn't at the time I had my daughter and I still didn't have thoughts like that. That woman is sick and needs to have someone cut her arms off. Bah that sort of stuff gets me livid.. Anyways!
|

Experienced User
I can't imagine what was going through her mind while she did that.....Oh my god....Its just too horrible
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....