Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

the Pill And Antibiotics

I have mitral valve prolapse and it means I have to take a dose of antibiotics before I go to the dentist. I am scheduled to go to the dentist in two weeks and will need to take 4 amoxicillan pills the day of. I know that antibiotics can affect birth control pills but I think that is the case mostly when you are sick and on 10 days worth of antibiotics. In my case its one day of pills. Will that affect my birth control pills? If so, for how long? That day or several days? Also, what happens if it turns out I am taking the antibiotics during my off week when i'm not taking any pills? Would that have any affect?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 17th, 2004
Experienced User
Doctors aren't 100 percent sure about the exact interaction. They recommend just using a back-up method during the time you are on the antibiotics. It shouldn't make a difference at what point in your cycle of pills you are on. I would say if you are only taking them for one day, maybe use a backup method for the next day or two to be safe, but I don't think it effects you beyond that.
|

Experienced User
Ive been told that after taking antis u should use extra prot. In ur case use extra prot. For the day ur taking them and for 2 weeks after....
|

Experienced User
But does it matter if its the week i'm not taking active pills?
|

replied November 18th, 2004
Experienced User
I would treat it the same.. Use protection for a few days to be safe. You are covered by birth control all month long so it wouldn't be any different.
|

replied November 19th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
If you are not taking the active pills,that means you have your period,right?You should be just fine.Take your pre-med and start your new pack with no worries!!I always tried to schedule my dental appointments around my period for that very purpose.I also have mvp and was on bcp's.It took a little planning,but it always worked out!Good luck.Patty
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...