Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Low Ph Diet And Drinks Are Potent Gout Triggers (Page 1)

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Lowering of the blood and joint fluid ph, either gradually or suddenly, can cause the shedding of the protein coatings on urate (msu) crystals and trigger gout attacks. This can be caused by the intake of acidic and acid forming substances, or by some other means. Some known gout triggers are:
* cranberry juice (ph=2.3~2.5), tomatoes (ph=4~5), dill pickles (ph=3.2~3.7), cucumbers (ph=5~6) and carbonated drinks (ph=2~3) -- they are low in ph.
* aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), niacin (nicotinic acid) and alcohol (metabolizes to co2 thus carbonic acid) -- they are all acids.
* vigorous exercise -- it lowers the ph at the joints due to the extra production of lactic acid.
* type 2 diabetes -- due to the lack of insulin, the body is unable to burn glucose for fuel. As the consequence, the body burns fat for fuel and produces excess amount of ketones, acidic substance.
* starvation, low carb diet and rapid weight loss -- the body burns excess amount of fat and produces too much acidic ketones.
* injuries, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, tenosynovitis, etc. -- they cause the deterioration of tissues at the joints and lowers their ph.
* emotional stress, serious illness, hospitalization and surgery -- the unhealthy states that degrade the joint fluids and lower their ph.
* sleep -- gout attacks occur most often at night (12-2 a.M.) because the stomach stops producing juice in sleep and causes acid tide in the body.

Keep the body ph up, it prevents gout attacks.

Last edited by JYY2 on January 27th, 2005 03:58 PM; edited 2 times in total
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JYY2
|

replied November 28th, 2004
Gout
I have just become a new member this evening. I want to thank jyy2 for
his advice a month ago about the use of baking soda for the treatment of
gout. I have been having attacks on my big toe frequently. My Dr. Prescribed
allopurnoll and colchisine. It wasnt until I started to use baking soda every night that I noticed a big improvment I thought back to a logical conclusion.
When your car battery posts collect acid on them, you use baking soda
to disolve it. The soda neutraliizes the uric acid in your blood that causes
your gout. Water is a must. You have to dilute the uric acid as much as possible. I talked this over with my Dr. He had no objections what so ever..
I think this forum is a wonderful way for each of us to help another by
telling everyone of our own experiences. With all do respect the dr s dont
know everything.. I also went to your websight jjy and printed it out, you
are a very learned person.
|

replied November 28th, 2004
Experienced User
Thank you for your kind words. I am very glad my info is helpful to you.

By the way, baking soda doesn't "neutralizes the uric acid in your blood that causes your gout" as you stated. It increases the solubility of uric acid and likely dissolves the urate (msu) crystals at the gout attack sites through intracellular acidosis -- whatever they mean; who cares, as long as it works, doesn't have too bad side effects, and costs almost nothing. Cheers.

P.S. I don't think doctors would appreciate your comparing our bodies to car batteries, and gout to the corroded battery posts.
|

replied December 24th, 2004
Baking Soda And Gout
Very helpful hints for a person like me that for ages battling the gout attacks. One quick question, what would be the mix of the baking soda and water that I should try?
Thanks and happy holidays
|

replied December 25th, 2004
Experienced User
Re: Baking Soda And Gout
Check with the doctor before trying this. For the best result, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it quickly. Take it every 2-4 hours up to a total of 4 teaspoons a day. In my experience, the most effective dose is the one taken before going to bed; second most effect, the one taken right after getting up in the morning.

More info about baking soda can be found at:
http://www.Nlm.Nih.Gov/medlineplus/druginf o/uspdi/202525.Html .
((.Note. After logging on this site, go to the address box and change the last 4 letters to "html" then hit return.)) ((ehealth website here automatically capitalizes the first letter after "." and causes problems for a url ending with "html".)) .

Additional gout info can be found at http://www.Icuredmygout.Org .

Happy holidays to you all.
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Thanks For the Advice About Baking Soda !
I am almost 60 years old and lately I have been having gout attacks one after the other. I have been missing my work and social commitments and frankly it is no life having your ankles or knees hurting all the time and the mobility impaired. Just lately it was pinpointed that my problem is gout and not rehumatism. I will start immediately with the baking soda advise and it seems to me very logical and will keep the forum posted. I just discovered this site browsing the web and I think it is a great place to read constructive advise. Thanks. :d
|

Re: Low Ph Diet And Drinks Are Potent Gout Triggers
jyy2 wrote:
lowering of the blood and joint fluid ph, either gradually or suddenly, can cause the shedding of the protein coatings on urate (msu) crystals and trigger gout attacks. This can be caused by the intake of acidic and acid forming substances, or by some other means. Some known gout triggers are:
* cranberry juice (ph=2.3~2.5), tomatoes (ph=4~5), dill pickles (ph=3.2~3.7), cucumbers (ph=5~6) and carbonated drinks (ph=2~3) -- they are low in ph.

* aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), niacin (nicotinic acid) and alcohol (metabolizes to co2 thus carbonic acid) -- they are all acids.

* vigorous exercise -- it lowers the ph at the joints due to the extra production of lactic acid.

* type 2 diabetes -- due to the lack of insulin, the body is unable to burn glucose for fuel. As the consequence, the body burns fat for fuel and produces excess amount of ketones, acidic substance.

* starvation, low carb diet and rapid weight loss -- the body burns excess amount of fat and produces too much acidic ketones.

* injuries, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, tenosynovitis, etc. -- they cause the deterioration of tissues at the joints and lowers their ph.

* emotional stress, serious illness, hospitalization and surgery -- the unhealthy states that degrade the joint fluids and lower their ph.

* sleep -- gout attacks occur most often at night (12-2 a.M.) because the stomach stops producing juice in sleep and causes acid tide in the body.

Keep the body ph up, it prevents gout attacks.

wow! Does that mean I have to stop my vigorous excercise? Or can I do it safely to where I can put my ph back up
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied September 25th, 2012
dill pickles!
BINGO - I was wondering WHY I started a GOUT FLARE @ 59. I rarely have organ meats or fried foods. I never liked dill pickles till this year and I've been eating them almost daily. Oh man!!
|

Experienced User
Vigorous exercise is known to trigger gout attacks. You have to learn it yourself how vigorous the exercise can be without triggering the gout attacks. Avoid acidic soda drinks and juices. Drink plenty of water with mineral supplements before exercise can help. Take the gout med promptly if gout attacks. Good luck.
|

replied December 13th, 2005
Had a bad attack of gout in oct thru nov... Then it slowly started to get better so I said, to hell with it im going to exercise...My knee ended up hurting more than my gout toe... I could go on 2 hour hikes with only a little soreness... So then I decided to try to go back to work, went to a temp service and they put me to work on an assembly line and walla, in
3 days of standing on concrete, my foot swelled and I quit.

Conclusions: vigorous exercise for gout good, work bad.
|

Istarted the Baking Soda Treatment !
After reading your post about the baking soda I started the treatment yesterday. I hope it works. I will post results. Now, the treatment should be taken when the gout is present, or should it be taken constantly to prevent future attacks ? Thanks for the advise. :d
|

Istarted the Baking Soda Treatment !
I have moderate knee and elbow pain, constantly everyday. I had some serious flare ups as well. When I read that baking soda could treat gout, I was very excited, the reasoning given on the "icuremygout" website was very convincing.
So, I started the baking soda treatment for couple of days. There is some improvement in my knee pain, it hasn't gone away completely, I guess I will try for few more days.

I have one question. Since the logic used in this treatment is that low ph causes ua to crystallize in the body, and baking soda helps increase the ph. Will something like tums work as a treatment, cause tums is an antacid used for lowering the acidity?

Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated.
|

Im going to lay all on the line for you guys.
Im going to drink
im gong to eat sausage out the ass
im generally going to be a total badass rock n roll star for you guys.
Let's see how the gout does.
Let's see what this mthufka has.
Im begging for it man.
I bet it dont happen.
I bet I know.
I bet you dont.
Im fine with that.
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
I'm 57 and never had gout but last week my toe joint was a bit sore. In two days I could barely walk. It really hurt. I read alot about this including your baking soda solution( no pun intended). I tried 1/2 tsp every two hours and checked my urine with litmus paper. Within one day the pain was considerably less and I was walking ok. My saliva and urine both became less acid. On the third day I could run without pain and on the fourth day the swelling was noticibly reduced. I've read more about this and it seems that the acid alkaline balance is more complicated than one would first think. Food charts have different foods all over the place and I suspect that if a food does not meet the vegetarian politically wholesomeness test it gets shoved into the highly acid food group. Ph is determined by the ash test but acidity is changed by cooking. Is this not very inconsistent? Ash is ash isn't it? Minerals don't change by cooking, do they? Is there some consistent approach to this that you know of. By the way, this baking soda cure really works.
|

replied February 25th, 2006
Food Charts...
Yup, I think the charts show dubious info. For example, lemon is acid, but it turns out that it alkalizes. I use baking soda and have a near normal diet. By normal I mean I eat what I want and if I overdo it I just slug baking soda and water. Works great.
|

replied March 15th, 2006
Baking Soda
Are there any side effects from the baking soda?
|

replied March 15th, 2006
Experienced User
Pls see the end of section 2 in http://www.Icuredmygout.Org or
http://www.Nlm.Nih.Gov/medlineplus/druginf o/uspdi/202525.Html .
(if the second link doesn't work, you have to correct the last 4 letters from ".Html" to "html" in the address box.
|

replied April 18th, 2006
Baking Soda
I found those links :

http://www.Drugs.Com/cons/pure_baking_soda .Html

it speaks about the "side effects" from the baking soda!

Emilie
|

replied July 18th, 2008
gout & TUMS ANTACIDS
I got high bp-kinda wary bout the BS cure..
ANY INFO ON gout & TUMS or other ANTACIDS Please!
Thanks
|

replied April 16th, 2012
Gout and Tums
I am only speaking from personal experience here, but...I have suffered from gout for about 15 years. In the last couple of years, I have been having terrible acid reflux at night while in bed. I wake up and chew a couple or three tums and that usually cures it for the night. I noticed that when I started taking tums daily, my gout attacks went away. Recently, I started a new diet that pretty much is all protein shakes, fruits and vegetables and NO alcohol. From day one I've had no acid reflux attacks and so stopped taking my tums. And guess what happened?! Three weeks into this diet and I have a major gout attack in my ankle - the first in a year and a half. It could be because I dropped 15 lbs, but more likely to me is that I stopped taking my tums. Now I've decided to just take two tums everyday to see if that helps again.
|

replied October 2nd, 2008
im 25 years old now and my father has gout and so do i had my first about 2 yrs ago and iv gotten from time to time after. right now i have it in my elbo ver bad had it for about 2 months any hep.
|

replied November 13th, 2008
The bicarb idea is a good one but I should point something out: -

1 teaspoon = 6g
1g of bicard has 274mg of sodium

If my maths is correct then 4 teaspoons is 6.57 grams of sodium. This is more than 2.6 times the recommended sodium intake and that is before any dietary sodium.

This could have a devastating on blood pressure and could be quite dangerous for somebody who already has it.
|