Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Ent Says Sore Throat Is Caused By Acid Reflux..i Doubt It.

I'm 32...Last physical was last month...Went great. Don't drink, smoke, have any known allergies. I have had a chronic sore throat for going on 6 weeks. Two weeks ago went to ent who stuck a scope down my throat and said had a small ulcer. He said that is cause of sore throat. I question this due to my sore throat is constant not just in the morning. I don't ever wake up with an acidic taste in my mouth or get heartburn in the middle of the night...When I burp which has been alot lately no somach acid comes up. A couple months ago I did start to have some stomach problems so acid reflux sense to me as far as wht is going on with my stomach...I'm now on week 2 of prevacid and avoiding all the foods the doc said to the letter and even some he didn't mention. My issue is if when I go back for my follow up in nect month and I still have this sore throat (which will be 10 weeks by then) what should I say or do (perhaps see another ent or go to a gastro)? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 30th, 2004
Experienced User
Ent Says Sore Throat Is Caused By Acid Reflux..i Doubt It.
Reflux disease does cause irritation in throat and a recurrent throat infections.
Homeopathic medicine has good remedies like bryonia, nux vomica etc. Which help in clearing the throat infection and also to see that reflux is reduced thereby preventing recurrence.
Dr.Venugopal gouri.
|

replied November 30th, 2004
Drvenugopal
Dr. Thank you for your reply to my post. I appreciate your recommendations for a homeopathic remedy and I will certainly investigate the ones you've mentioned. I do not like taking pharmacuetical drugs but I will finish taking the prevacid my doctor has prescribed. I am still skeptical about gerd or acid reflux being the cause of my sore throat. Mainly as I mentioned in my original post due to having it on a "consistant basis" for 2 months now, also I have in the back of my throat (in my left tonsil area) about 3 blisters is what i'd call them. From what i've read on gerd/reflux a morning sore throat is not uncommon, but 2 months?! And i've never seen anything that mentions blisters or tonsilitis. I could see if I had a scratchy throat or something like that, but I don't ever even taste any acid in my mouth. In addition to that, every since this started, I get canker sores every now and then generally in the same spot. On a positive note though other than this annoyance I feel fantastic!
|

replied December 10th, 2004
I'm With You!
John, I feel your pain. Literally. I have been dealing with a terrible sore throat since august. Mine is bad from the time I wake up (when i'm able to get sleep). I also don't have heartburn, don't overeat, and am fit and healthy. My ent found a bacterial infection of my lingual tonsil and put my on augmentin. My family doctor had told me before that if the ent told me it was due to acid reflux, it meant he didn't know what it was! He said acid reflux is a "garbage can" diagnosis. I was relieved he found something. It got marginally better on the antibiotic, but now I am beginning to think I should reach into the garbage can! Now that the infection is cleared up, I still have throat pain and I am recognizing some heartburn symptoms. I am beginning nexium. My point is.....Perhaps you have an infection caused by acid and you can't cure one without the other. All of the acid meds in the world won't clear up an infection caused by sores in the throat. Good luck. I know how it feels to be sick and tired of having a sore throat. I was hoping i'd be singing carols this xmas, but i'll keep my fingers crossed.
|

replied December 10th, 2004
Experienced User
If you guys question an acid reflux diagnosis.. The best test you can have is an upper gi. It's like an x-ray but shows the movement of your stomach. They will get you to swallow some liquids and it will show on the x-ray whether or not the liquid comes back up into your esophagus. Mine was obvious.. The liquid came right back up.. But if the test comes back with nothing then it would at least tell you that it's definitely not reflux.
|

replied December 11th, 2004
I don't think mine is reflux as much as it may just be sstomach acid. I've been told by people with reflux that you know if you have it. Would heartburn eventually cause the same problem with the throat eventually?
|

replied December 13th, 2004
Experienced User
Acid reflux is stomach acid that comes up into the esophagus....I.E. Heartburn
|

replied April 23rd, 2005
Sore Throat Caused By Stomach Acid?
I think I have a similar condition to yourself:i had a persistent sore throat for a year, but no other symptons, saw doctors(s) about 5 times, had several blood tests (no evidence of infection), finally referred to a ent consultant who did an endoscopy, which showed a redness around the larynx(voice box), he prescribed omeprazole (stomach acid inhibitor), nothing happened for a month, then I had two months with virtually no symptons (marvellous), then about 5 weeks ago it started to gradually return and now it is as bad as it was last.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
I am 33 years helathy person . i have been facing the problem of sore throat since many years. possibly because of Acid reflux. it causes rainy nose and symptoms like flu or common cold ,i went through a alot of treatment but not improved . i have severe pain in throat and some times it feels like burning some thing in my throat. i am tired takng suggeations from doctor. now i am taking Takepron OD 3O. IT GIVES ME LITTLE bit relief. many doctors also confused with me thinking it may be flu. please let me suggest more useful tips with possible treatments methods.
|

replied March 27th, 2013
People, I got cold and soar throat in January 10 this year (2013). Every since my soar throat persisted, and I got flue three times in the process. I visited 7 doctors in Germany. They did nothing but prescribing various antibitics such as Doxycycline, Mega ciline etc. Nothing helped. I still have the problem. Although I met another doctor in Athens yesterday, he ensured me that he will treat me in ten days. He diagnosed the problem to be acid reflux or gastric from the stomach. He has prescribed me TAVANIC 500 MG, and ZURCAZOL 40 MG. Today marks the first day of the course that I have started, and surprisingly, I feel better. Please share with me your experiences to get rid of this problem in case this course of medicine doesn't work. I don't feel much of pain in the throat. It changes its style of irritation. Sometimes it is as if someone is chocking me, sometimes it burns a little, and sometimes I feel something is stuck there. In the meantime, my mouth is bitter, and my tongue is all whitish...Thanks!
|

replied November 2nd, 2013
throat pain due to acidity
I have got mild throat pain since 2,3months..i never went to doctor .., i assumed its due to the cold weather and the high AC at my work place..but 1month ago..went i relocated to a warmer place i still had my throat pain..i was so worried that i immediately met an ENT...he told i have acidity and the throat pain is due to that....and prescribed medicines for 10 days..i still have a mild throat pain today on the 7th day....i will need to wait
|
Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....