How long after sex do you need to wait before taking a pregnancy test? Its been almost seven days since I had sex but I wasn't sure how long I should wait. Two days after having sex my breasts became very tender. Yesterday I started getting backaches and bad stomach aches. This afternoon the stomach aches started again. I thought it was maybe pms but I am not due to have my period for another 9 days and I have never been regular before in my life (i'm 25). Usually though, my periods are 1 and 1/2 to 2 months apart. If I was regular, my next period would be on the 24th. I just want to know how soon I can take a pregnancy test. I want to know one way or the other so I can either breathe a sigh of relief or begin dealing with my irresponsibility. Not knowing is torturous.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 15th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Dear floridagirl,

you would usually need to wait until at least a few days before your period is due before you take a home pregnancy test, this is because the fact that it has only been 7 days since you had sex, if you are actually pregnant then the hcg levels have not had time to build up to a detectable level yet. If you were to go to your doctor within the next few days, they could do a blood test, and if you are pregnant then that would give you an accurate result. If you were pregnant, you wouldn't start to feel breast tenderness 7 days after intercourse, you would be more likely to have symptoms 1 - 2 weeks after your period is due or even later. Some women don't experience any symptoms apart from absent periods until 3 months, everyone is different. Have you considered being on birth control pills ? Once you know for sure whether or not you are pregnant, it would be a good time to see your doctor and discuss contraception methods.

Good luck...

.::suzy::.
|

Experienced User
Thanks suzy - I really appreciate your thoughts and advice. I initially wasn't concerned and assumed it was just pms but I mentioned how I was feeling to the guy I had sex with and his first thought was pregnancy. Then it began to eat at me so, of course, I started to worry. He and I both realize the stupidity of the situation - the irony of it is that it was probably less than a minute or two that we were unprotected but we both know that could be all it takes. As for contraception - up until this point I have never needed it because I had only be involved with other girls. Met up with an old friend one night and things happened and while we were smart enough to use protection, we wasted a minute or two before remembering it. Lesson learned.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Hey florida, we all make mistakes at some point in our lives, and luckily most of the time nothing comes of it and we can learn from it. Good luck in the future...

.::suzy::.
|

replied February 25th, 2009
pregnancy
can i take a pregnancy test an get a positive result after i had sex last night, my period is late , and the test came out negative, is it because my hcg level is not high enuff yet, or could having sex right before the test affect it
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2009
Supporter
you cant take a HPT the day after you have sex. You will most likely have to wait at least a few weeks, or make a . dr's appt When was your period due?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...