Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

How Do You Dislodge a Pill/vitamin That Got Stuck?

About 36 hours ago I took some vitamins and at least one has gotten lodged down near my chestbone (probably still in my esophagus), so I was hoping anyone had any solutions as to how to dislodge it. I've been drinking lots of water, eating normally, even had some to with hopes that it would melt the vitamin, but so far nothing is helping and it is becoming somewhat painful. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 15th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Dear aspen,

i think you need to get yourself off to the doctor or hospital. If a tablet hasn't dislodged itself or disolved after 36 hours, then you will need to seek medical help, especially since it is becoming painful. It is obviously stuck where it is not able to be disolved.

Good luck...

.::suzy::.
|

replied October 31st, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
U need 2 swallow some bread (dont chew,just swallow) and it'll push it down
|

replied November 13th, 2008
do not swollow bread whole without chewing, this could make your situation far worse. I have throat issues and get pills stuck, since it has been awhile you should go to the hospital, they may give you a muscle relaxant. The tissue around where the pill could be swollen and preventing the pill from disolving.
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Pills once swallowed usually pass out without any hazard. If there is high suspicion of sticking to the esophagus then go for upper GI endoscopy.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.