My 65 y.O. Father went to er with chest pain in july (he is recipient of investigational heart wrap procedure & thought it was related). Nothing was found (x-rays, labs, us). In september he went back with pain in upper abdomin. Ct showed a 8 cm mass on liver. It was biopsied & came back as malignant, undifferentiated "something" which the Dr. Advised meant that it probably originated somewhere else. He had an ercp, colonoscopy, etc & nothing was found so they did additional tests on the biopsy slides and said it was melanoma that had metastized to the liver. He saw an oncologist down at shands gainesville (u of fla - where he had heart wrap) that did a pet scan that showed no mets anywhere other than liver & wanted to start chemo with dtic. He elected to have chemo at home (in jax, fl) so was referred to local md. Local guy says not melanoma but cancer that probably originated in the bile duct. Both physicians very convincing -- who do we believe???? Local md has started him on chemo & says with treatment, life expectancy of 9 to 12 months... If it's really melanoma, won't traditional chemo not affect? If really bile duct cancer what are other options. He was told the tumor is affecting about 80% of the right side of the liver but not affecting any part of the left side. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 7th, 2004
Melanoma
Hi michelle,
do you know about the "ocu-mel" list serv. If your dad has metastatic melanoma that is in the liver, its a site full of wonderful supportive people who are very knowledgeable.

Try this link: http://www.Lafn.Org/~bc534/ocularmelmets.H tm

my dad has melanoma in liver. He's undergoing chemo and immuno therapy. You're right, not very affective.

Heather
|

replied January 24th, 2005
Hey
Sometimes this stuff is confusing. Over christmas my mom went to the e.R. With leg pain, and the found blood clots that had moved to her lungs so they kept her in the hospital. Later they did a ct scan and saw a mass on her liver. So they did an exploritory surgery and thought it was just an infection but when they cultured the cells it was cancer. Then they told us that it was treatable with surgery now they are telling us that is is posibly terminally ill. So if you ever nee to talk with someone I now what your going through.

laura
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It could be melanoma because your first doctor has done many tests on initial biopsy report.
Melanoma patch is not necessary. Chemotherapy for metastatic disease is almost the same.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.