Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

"pinples" On Nipples Due to Birth Control?

Maybe i'm paying exceptionally close attention to my breasts anymore after starting the pill, but i'm always cautious.

About a month into my birth control (am now 2.5 months into it), I began to notice these little pimple-like things surrounding the areolas of my nipples. They appear to be shiny and "bulbous" Smile

i popped them, and sure enough they secreted a clear fluid. Whether this was sweat, oil, or water, I don't know. But it came out. And as a result of the squeezing, the little pimples are all bleeding.

I also have noticed one that is a dark red on top of my left areola.

If it helps, I am using the pill ortho tri-cyclen lo.

My breasts have definitely grown since going on the pill. But even so I am not sexually active, so I think I can safely rule out pregnancy (unless it's immaculate conception or aliens abducted me in my sleep and impregnated me xd).

My question is this: is the appearance of these fluid-filled nodules on the nipples a side effect of the birth control, along with any other breast changes?

Scaredbaka - a l'il worried
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 7th, 2004
Experienced User
I have never heard of this before...And I don't thinkit's a normal side effect from birth control. Though it could be a very rare side effect but I think i'd ask your doctor just to make sure because it just doens't sound right at all.
|

Experienced User
I'm on ortho tri cyclen lo too, but i've never had these little bumps, and i've also never heard of them. I'd just as ur doc.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I have had something similar. The areola does secrete oils to keep nipples from being dry. Don't mess with them. I don't think it's a side effect.
|

replied November 10th, 2004
I agree, dont mess with them. I get blocked pores around my aerolas every so often, and once you squeeze them they seem to turn into red ugly 'popped pimple' looking things....Not exactly the cutest things. I'd say make sure you're exfoliating, because the extra oil and such will block pores and glands and create these pimple like things...

Hope that helps
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...