Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Recovered Anorexic Scared to Trigger W/ Bc Weightgain

My number one concern is that I will gain weight and this could trigger my past troubles with anorexia. I have been healthy for 4 years now, but every now and then I still have those thoughts. I would hate for my bc to trigger a relapse, yet I have terrible menstrual sypmtoms and am very paranoid about condom use. I would love to know how people have reacted to their bc
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 5th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I didnt gain any weight on my birthcontrol Laughing I hope youwont either, good luck!

<3
gaby
|

replied November 6th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
I was the same way about starting birth control, I was scared of gaining weight, but I haven't gained any since i've been on it and i've been on it for almost a year now.
|

Experienced User
I havent gained a single pound! I am one happy camper, since that was probably the biggest side effect I was worried about. Rolling Eyes
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yasmine is one bcp that claims to not make you gain weight.I know that I did not when I was on it.Be sure to talk with your doc about your concerns when you have your exam.Weight gain was more common with the old style pills, not so much with the new ones.Best to you.Patty
|

replied November 7th, 2004
Experienced User
People have told me I am anorexic, because I resorted to starvation last summer to drop over 40 pounds. And in my case, after being on birth control (the pill, ortho tri-cyclen lo) for less than a month, I gained 6 pounds! And with recent steroid use I gained another 4, so I am probably going to go back to my old tricks to drop those extra pounds.

I know the nurse who gave me the pills said that equal numbers of women would gain weight as would lose it - I was one of the unlucky ones to gain it, sadly o.O

but it depends entirely on the complexity of your body...No two women will react the exact same to birth control. It's just like how some women experience breast tenderness and growth, and others will not.

And, if I may ask, why are you paranoid about using a condom? Are you allergic, or do you fear breakage or having it fall off?

I assure you, honey, I have bad menstrual problems too - I get morbid cramps on the first day only, accompanied by hot flashes, sweating (followed by chills), dizziness, nausea, vomiting (rarely), and of course fever. And my birth control doesn't help...I apologize if i'm wrong, which I most likely am, but were you looking at a relapse as a possible "cure" to menstrual misery?

Just curious, because while I have read that drastic changes in one's diet can alter her period, or make her miss it, when I was on my "diet", I still got them, on time and just as painfully as before.

But the side effects will be different for each woman. You could always discuss options with your doctor, as pattyv said. Include your medical history along with your concerns and you can go from there.

Hope things get better for you ^-^

Scaredbaka - 138, formerly known as 129 o.O
|

replied November 8th, 2004
No I wasnt hoping to relapse at all! I am very healthy, and maintain a very slim figure w/out radical methods. I just simply still struggle with the mental side of that disorder. I know that I will need to go on birth control at some point and I just cant risk triggering myself because it is a horrible disorder to live with. I just simply want to know which pills people have had the best luck with in that area... Because I know that my sister gained a lot of weight when she was on them. She is on the patch now, and has not gained any weight, but I am much smaller than her so I dont know if it would affect me the same as her.
|

replied November 26th, 2004
Weight Gain
I have never been on the pill before until this past summer..One reason being that I am bulimic ( in and out of the behavior), which would make it ridiculous and ineffective for me to take a pill and then later throw it up. The second is because I have a thyroid disease ( graves) which can be complicated when adding more hormones etc to an already off kilter hormone system...

I have now gotten myself on a better track training for figure competitions, by eating smart and working out consistently. I have been taking yasmin ( my doc said it wont cause weight gain) since august. I have gone from 104 to 108 in 3 months, but...My boobs have grown a cup size which is good because they atrophied due to my low levels of bodyfat(12% bf). For me it is important to maintain a lean physique. I swear my lower abdomen protrudes more now, and it drives me crazy. I am considering going off the pill after I discuss other options with my Dr.
|

replied November 28th, 2004
Experienced User
I've been on ortho.. Ortho lo.. Depoprovera, and now the patch.
Out of all these the only one I gained weight with was the depo shot.. But it was only 5 pounds. You can always switch if you find yourself gaining weight. Just let your doc know about your concerns and they shouldn't have any problem giving you a new prescription if you are concerned about whatever they put you one first.
|

replied November 28th, 2004
Experienced User
Birth Control Trigger
Question I am also a recovering anorexic; birth control pills were prescribed to me because my bones were weak without enough estrogen. I never gained any weight even afer 5 years on the pil (ortho novum). But a friend of mine who is a compulsive overeater swears that her pill (not sure which one) triggered her binge attacks & that when she went off the pill all of her cravings disappeared. I guess it all depends on the individual but be careful because those hormones can really mess with your body & your mind!
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....