Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Lupus And Thyroid Problems??

Hi, my name is kathy. I am new to this forum and I just recently posted a message but I did not send it as a new topic, so I will redo it. I have tested positive for ana and a few of the lupus tests but had to stop testing because I have no insurance and just simply could not afford the testing. My mom has confirmed lupus and we definitely both have many, many similiar symptoms. I have just recently been put on synthroid due to my tsh being 56.6 and I also have a "knot" on my neck, what I assume is an enlarged thyroid gland. I am curious as to whether the lupus and thyroid problem may be connected. I work fulltime and most days I don't really feel like moving, I have no energy at all. I am also running a low grade fever, today 100.1 I would appreciate any insight. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Bolman
|

replied October 15th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
This may *not* be a thyroid gland. I did/do something similar and was one of the 10% of lupus patients who have very odd swellings in their lymph nodes and they last for weeks! Remember lupus is an *overactive* immune system.

As for no insurance, contact your local health department and ask for aid. When you go and get your tests done and get a diagnosis...Then you can contact the pharmaceutical companies to apply for aid with the drugs.

I wish you the best. We are all here to help. Hugs,
ladybrannon
|

replied January 3rd, 2004
Lupus
I have been diagnosed with sle lupus and fibro my question is can I have both of those conditions? Also I am currently prescribed morphine and ultram for breakthrough. I also have a thyroid disorder that can't be pin pointed it goes way up then back to normal my mom has haaad graves disease and I also have been diagnosed with graves. What is the best thing I shoul be doing for my health and what meds should I be on. I would appreciate any input on my unfortunate health issues thank you very much sheryl Shocked
|

replied January 6th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes, I know many lupus patients diagnosed with fibro and sle.

Only a qualified medical doctor can let you know what meds are best for your situation. Recall that lupus and it's disease course is different for *every* patient. Have you spoken to a rheumatologist?

What medicines are you currently on for your lupus?

I hope this helps!
Hugs,
ladybrannon

ps- welcome!!!!!!
|

replied January 27th, 2004
Experienced User
to Kathy & Sheryl
I have lupus, fibromyalgia, rhaynauds, oa and thyroid diseases. I think that when one thing is acting up they all get out of whack. I'm in a major flare right now, and my synthroid has been changed every couple months for the last year. Your thyroid pretty much controlls all the other systems in your body, also if your potassium or other electrolytes are off, this will make your thyroid act irradically.

The state of texas offers insurance for the uninsurable. To qualify you must have a major disease, like lupus. I'm sure that whatever state you are in probably offers something similar.

Hope this info helps
mia
|

replied February 2nd, 2004
I have type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism diagnosed. I have not been offically diagnosed but am thought to have either fibro or sle, both or neither. Yes, these are all autoimmmune diseases. I just want to say that I am a bit releived that others have the same thing. I wish we all didn't but at least I know that I am not alone.
|

replied February 2nd, 2004
Experienced User
Lupus And Thyroid Problems
Lupus is an autoimmune disease. Usually when you have one autoimmune more can follow. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis, ms. And osteoarthritis. If you contact the maker of a drug, they usually have a program that helps people that don't have insurance. Good luck
|

replied February 17th, 2004
Been Through It
I've had similiar problems and seen to many docters for 3 years. My ana was the only thing that showed up. It looks like your docs were just guessing with your symptoms. I finally have got bllod work back from a new doc I just saw last week. Turns out my parathryoid is high along with some other thyroid thing. Get tested for this!
You have four parathyroid glands and when 1 or all are not functioning you can feel like your dying and have tons of symptoms. Your parathyroid glands regulate calcuim in your blood. If your body is not geting calcium it starts to take it from your bones. You may have had this longer than you thought. Good news though after a 30 minute surgery to remove 1 or more glands most people feel 90% better quickly. Even those who thought they had no symptoms say the feel great and like someone turned the lights on.
Read this book
living well with autoimmune disease what your docter doesn't tell you..... That you need to know. -mary j. Shomon
she also has a website.
Hope this is helpful, let me know
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....