Has this ever happened to anyone else? I awoke in the middle of the night, 3:30 am, from a deep sleep, with horrible pain in my chest like a vise grip. It felt like I was having a heartattack! It was preceded by two plus weeks of severe pain from my neck down my right arm to my forearm, extending down my back to my shoulder blades. This had also been causing 8 days straight of migrains that all of my migraine medication did not get rid of, nor the opiate medication, actiq, I have for dire emergency to keep me from going to the emergency room. I gave myself a double dose allergy shot just incase it was an allergic reaction to a new medication I was taking and this did relieve some of the pain.

I called the er and talked to a nurse, who said to have someone drive me immediately to the er. They did an ekg, back, shoulder and chest x-rays and everything came back normal. By the time I was there 4 hours my pain level went from 10 to a managable 6-7. I took all my pain meds with me and did not ask for anything while I was there so they knew I wasn't drug seeking. I had an appointment with my pain management dr at 11 am and did not want to be too sleepy to drive, so I didn't take anything until later in the day. But the er docs said they didn't know what it was except muscle spasms. Pain doc said same. I have never experienced that level of pain before in my life, but this is the second time in 6 months this has happened! Then the next day, all the muscles in my chest were sore like I had been working out really hard or had gotten beat up and I had a visible bruise exactly where the excruciating pain had been. I called the er and pain doc and neither one had ever heard of this happening from the inside!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever experienced something similar to this, I have heard of people with lupus having to go to the er for pain before but i'd like the feed back.

Mia
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
I've certainly gone to the er to help control the pain. I usually have my joints lock. Although, I do have unexplained bruising some of the time...Did you ever learn anything else about the episode?

Hope you are feeling better...
*hugs*
ladybrannon
|

replied November 8th, 2004
Experienced User
Er Pain
It's a sad state of things when I can get more information on the nationall library of medicine's website than I can from an er or a doctor. I spoke to my new rhuemy and he really didn't have any ideas either.

The condition is called "costochondritis". In this condition - also know as "tietze syndrome"- the cartiliage of your rib cage, particulararly the cartiliage that joins your ribs to your breats bone, becomes inflames. The pain from costochondritis may occur suddenly and intense, leading you to assume you're having a heart attack. Yet the location of the pain is different. Costochondritis causes your chest to hurt when you push on you sternum or on the ribs near your sternum. Heart attack pain is usually more widespread, and the chest wall isn't usually tender.

It is always reassuring to find out what happened to you, rather than
feeling like a total idiot or a hypochondriac.

Mia
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....