Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Mental And Physical Health

Ok to start I have an appt with a therapist and I plan on getting on antideppresants. I have never taken them but I really wanna try them. Ever since ive been like 13 or so I have always been pi$$ed off more than happy and I cant take it anymore. I feel like I am ruining my relationship with eric by my constant deppressed and argumentive moods and I hate it when I get like that and the thing is I cant control it so I think it would be good for me and also growing up has been a nightmare for me and thats where alot of my anger stays and it would maybe help if I spoke w/ a therapist to get it off my chest . Ok lol im blabbing but how many of u girls have your cholesterol and stuff checked? I recently had a physical actually eric and I both did and normal or should I say healthy cholesterol should be under 200 and mine was 224 and erics was 276!! We totally got nervous being that we both smoke and heart disease is the number 1 killer now days and heart attack and stroke runs in erics family and my mom died from a heart attack from heart disease so that triples my chances of dying the same way according to docs. I have to make a life change fast! Anyone of you ladies ever consider getting ur blood tested for things like this or have u already? My doc says that most women under 40 have high cholesterol and dont know it or how serious it is since heart disease kills more women than men and it is usually undiagnosed in women because men r the ones who show actuall symptoms. ~ erica.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 28th, 2004
Experienced User
I think it is great that you are going to talk to somebody that is educated and talks about your kind of situation everyday ya know! I used to go to a therapist and I was on antidepressants (bad situation but don't worry your not in harms way). They put me on paxil when I was 16. Not a good idea considering two years later it was banned over in europe and isn't to be used by people under the age of 18 here in the us. It was making kids more depressed.... So please make sure you talk to your doctor about the meds they put you on! Anyways, I think this is really going to help you out a ton! As for the health and cholesterol and stuff. Kill two birds with one stone and just work out. Exercise not only helps your body physically but mentally as well. My cholesterol is actually close to being much lower than what it's supposed to be due to me being in the lower weight class of my height and age. Hope this helps!!!
|

replied October 28th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Wow if I were you i'd definetely stop smoking! If yours is that above average at your age then that sounds worrying plus if heart problems run in your family you're at greater risk of heart failure, heart attacks etc. If you try and stop smoking & do some frequent light exercise then this will benefit you in the long term & benefit your son because you'll pass on your good habits to him. Is your doctor going to look further into this for you?
With regards to the antidepressants issue, I think almost everyone in the worlds been on them at some stage & to be honest they can do more harm then good sometimes.Paxil for example was banned here because people committed suicide on it-that's not to say all antidepressants are like that but you have to be careful. I think speaking with someone is a lot better then popping pills-i found myself to be worse on antidepressants-one made me feel a lot worse & suicidal. Talking about your problems helps free up a lot of the anxiety you feel inside-taking tablets may make you feel superficially happy but then they don't really deal with whats going on on in the inside. However these are just my opinions & I truly wish you good luck with whatever option you decide to go for
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Drug Implications
Health is a very important aspect, which we should not take for granted. Therefore, one should refrain from those that will affect one's health, for instance drug abuse.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...