Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

What Could Happen to My Brother? (Page 1)

Hi. Thank you for reading my post. My brother is 20 years old and is dating a 15 year old girl. They have been together for awhile and they are sexually active. I'm worried what could happen to him if she got pregnant. Could he go to prison? I know of a girl who had a baby when she was almost 16 and was pregnant by a 21 year old. They lived in a large town, we live in a small town. Has anyone been in a similar situation??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 24th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
The girl's parents could charge him with statutory rape. Which means rape of a minor. And they can still charge him with it even if she consented. In some states the doctors will even do this. So your brother would be in a very bad situation.

It changes for each state your in...Where do you live?

But in texas, with that great of an age difference its considered a second degree felony. And this carries a 2-20 year sentence, and up to a $10,000 fine, as well as mandatory registration as a sex offender upon release.
|

Experienced User
well over here, nothing really , unless the parents file charges against him. Depends on where u r living and if religion is accountable.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Here - I found this. It may help explain it better...

Quote:
statutory rape is illegal sexual activity between two people when it would otherwise be legal if not for their age. The actual ages for these laws vary greatly from state-to-state, as do the punishments for offenders. Many states do not use the actual term "statutory rape," simply calling it rape or unlawful sexual penetration. These laws rarely apply only to intercourse, but rather to any type of sexual contact. Dating someone without sexual contact cannot be considered a form of statutory rape, and is almost never illegal.

All states have an "age of consent," or an age at which a person can legally consent to sexual activity and can then no longer be a victim of statutory rape. Some states also have laws that look at the age difference between the two people as well as their individual ages. All states have laws that have restrictions on the relationship between the two people, changing the age of consent, or the penalty, for sexual relations between a person of authority, such as a teacher, assistant coach, or tutor. These laws change, and can vary depending on other circumstances. For more information on how these laws apply in the various states, try the answer board.

Statutory rape charges can be brought up by the victim, parents of the victim, and in most states, they can be raised by the state. California has been a major example of this, filing charges against fathers of pregnant women, at the protest of both the women and the parents of the involved parties.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Well, im 14 & the boyfriend is 18. But my parent's are completely fine with him.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Tell him to be careful! There are many states in which the govt can press charges even if the girl and her parents don't want them to. Just make sure she knows never to admit that he is the father, or if he lives in one of those states, he can be charged with statutory rape.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah thats what im worried about ;\ 'cuz i'm applying for cashaid and they want his name, but we kept telling them that i'm not with him right now, so why should I give his name out? Oh I dont know, because I want his name on the birth certificate and everything but yeah.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yea he can get charged when I was 14 and preg he was 20 my parents called the cops on my baby daddy and he just confessed to everything we didnt lie and he got out of the charges thank god for it tho

so tell him to careful if she is tight with her mom tell her
|

Extremely eHealthy
It all depends on how she and her parents feel about it really.

My boyfriend was only 18 when I got pregnant at 16. But nothing ended up happening to him and we are still together.

I hope everything works out for you and your brother. *hugs*

-kristin
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
idababy wrote:
it all depends on how she and her parents feel about it really.

not if you live in one of those states I was talking about. If you do, they can charge him no matter how you and your parents feel about it.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Jason will be 18 next year, I hope that doesnt happen to us

<3
gaby
|

Extremely eHealthy
Sorry erin, I guess thats the law in wisconsin. I didn't really read everyones posts...Just skimmed through them.

-kristin
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
No problem Smile
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I was just talking about this I know under 14 its law he goes and over 16 it voluntary but I dont know the rule on 15 howwwwwever there a 3 year rule of voluntary ness but I dont know if it applies to 15? Sorry
|

Experienced User
Michelle, what website gave you that information? We live in tennessee. Some people have said that since we live in such a small town with only a few thousand people in it, that the cops might get bored and decide to be asses because they have nothing else to do with their time. My friend that I was talking about, they lived in a much larger town and her boyfriend didn't sign the birthcertificate. Not because they were worried about him getting in trouble, but because she broke up with him and didn't want his name on there I guess. My brother's girl's parents are completely cool with my brother dating her. Well, her mom...Her dad is dead. But, my brother has been living with his girlfriend and her mom for months and they have thought she was pregnant before and her mom was excited. I really doubt my brother would have to worry about the parent thing. I don't know about the state though. Maybe thats something they should look into and get some information on before they have any accidents.
|

Experienced User
Michelle, what website gave you that information? We live in tennessee. Some people have said that since we live in such a small town with only a few thousand people in it, that the cops might get bored and decide to be asses because they have nothing else to do with their time. My friend that I was talking about, they lived in a much larger town and her boyfriend didn't sign the birthcertificate. Not because they were worried about him getting in trouble, but because she broke up with him and didn't want his name on there I guess. My brother's girl's parents are completely cool with my brother dating her. Well, her mom...Her dad is dead. But, my brother has been living with his girlfriend and her mom for months and they have thought she was pregnant before and her mom was excited. I really doubt my brother would have to worry about the parent thing. I don't know about the state though. Maybe thats something they should look into and get some information on before they have any accidents.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Im nervous now Crying or Very sad
|

Experienced User
jessamyn wrote:
i was just talking about this I know under 14 its law he goes and over 16 it voluntary but I dont know the rule on 15 howwwwwever there a 3 year rule of voluntary ness but I dont know if it applies to 15? Sorry

i know that from now on, if she got pregnant, she would be 16 when her baby would be born. Do you think he could still get into trouble if she was 15 and pregnant by him??
|

Extremely eHealthy
I got it off sexlaws.Org

but you can find more information easily. Go to google.Com and search for something along the lines of "sex laws in tenessee" or "statutory rape in tenessee"

hope that helps.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Erin do u know any states? Esp for nj & ca?
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...