Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

New to Forum - Looking For Advice

Hi,
this is the first time I have posted here. I am 44 years old and the mother of 2 children. I have only recently learned about lupus and some of it's symptoms. I suffer from photosensitivity, raynauds syndrome, days of extreme fatigue and a red rash across my cheeks and nose. I have had 3 cbc test which showed anemia. About 3 years ago I started with other symptoms. After an unexplained tia the doctors discovered I had some unexplained heart damage and mitral valve prolaspe with regurgitation. I also started having unexplained seizures. Occassionally I have severe joint pain, but I don't think I run a fever. I have numbness and tingling in my arms and legs. Other than the raynauds syndrome and the photosensitivity (i break out in a rash and then the area turns dark), my symptoms are intermittent. I never went to see a doctor, except my ob/gyn, until after the tia. Now it seems like I have a doctor in every field. Not one of my many doctors has ever mentioned the possibility of lupus and I have never been tested for it. I was hoping that someone here on the forum would be able to tell me if this sounds like lupus. After reading about lupus I am wondering if I should ask my gp to test me. Does anyone think my symptoms could be indicative of lupus? If I were to ask for a blood test, should I wait until my symptoms are really bad? Would the blood test be accurate if I were not having a bad day/week/month? I would appreciate any information or advice you could share.
Thank-you,
donna
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 9th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Welcome! It is nice to meet you! I am ladybrannon.

I read briefly through your story...And a couple things come to mind:

1) it cannot hurt to be tested for lupus. However, lupus is diagnosed by a combination of blood tests and symptoms; there is *not* a lupus test, per se.

2) could it be lupus? Sure. Could it be something else? Sure.

3) tias- yes, they do occur in lupus patients. Have you had an mri? If not, I would.

4) you listed having a lot of docs...Do you have a rheumatologist?

5) keep a diary. Be *very* detailed. Take it to your doctors.

6) find out what tests they *have* done and obtain the results. This will help the doctors as well to have *all* your tests in one place.

7) don't stress! It will only make it worse, lupus or no. Smile

8] waiting...No! Will the tests be more *reactive* if you are sick, yes; but not worth waiting to find them that way. If you are diagnosed with lupus, you will find that the doctors will re-run those tests ad naseum (but for your benefit and you will also find that the test results *can* change).

Blood tests?
Ana
sed rate
c reactive protein
c3 and c4
anti-dna
anti-ro
anti-sm

see if any of these have been tested...

We are all here to help in anyway we can...Ask away if you have any more concerns. We will help if we *can.*

hugs,
ladybrannon
|

replied October 10th, 2003
Thank-you
Thank-you ladybrannon for taking the time to respond to my post. I don't have a rheumatologist. I was looking through the the copies of some of my blood work and it does not look like any of the tests you suggested have been done. I have an endocrinologist that checks my tsh, t4 and glucose about every 3 months. They have always been normal. I have had an mri. Supposedly that helped rule out ms. I live in a small town and I am not sure we even have a rheumatologist. Perhaps my gp can order the blood work. Thank-you again for your help.
Peace to you,
donna
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....