I have high cholesterol. It fluctuates between 225 and 280.
I recently read an article on lecithin which stated that lecithin
breaks up the cholesterol molecule into small particles which can easily circulate into the blood stream.
Also, it said that lecithin is great for fat metabolism, heart and nervous system.

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with lecithin?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 23rd, 2003
High Colesterol
I haven't had experience with high colesterol but might I suggest you read a copy of the new dietary revolution by Dr. Atkins. People that are overweight usually start the atkins diet but as he states in his book, you don't need to be overweight to follow the diet, you just need to want to feel healthier and happier.

To get to my point, i've known several people so far to follow the diet and they've watched their high colesterol and high blood pressure lower to a normal level.

Of course this is only a suggestion, it's up to you to read and then follow the diet but I believe that it would work for you and it is better than paying for pills that may cause adverse side effects.

I've been reading the book myself and I am going on the diet beginning this weekend and eagerly looking forward to it now that i've been educated. Hope this information helps you.
|

replied November 4th, 2003
Experienced User
Hi dawningsun. I will keep that in mind. My other problem other than high cholesterol is that I have just a slight tummy. Its not much, but I want a solid flat tummy.
I am only 155 lbs, so not overweight at all, but whatever little fat I have tends to accumulate around the middle as I am thin everywhere else including my face, arms, legs etc.

Please do me a favor. Let me know how the atkins book turns out and if you gain any useful knowledge from it. I have heard a lot about this diet but I want to know from someone who actually tried it out.

Thanks!
|

replied November 4th, 2003
Atkins
Hey there,

i haven't gotten to start the diet as of yet because i've been away and it's one of those things that you want to start out being able to accumulate only 20 carbs per day and it's a little difficult when you're eating out a lot. But I will tell you that my father's cousin started the diet about a year and a half ago and she was about 350 pounds. She was also 50 years old and going through menopause and had very high blood pressure and colesterol, so you can imagine what kind of shape she was in. She never had energy, she was standing the risk of heart attack or stroke and no matter what she tried, she couldn't lose the weight or fight the cravings for junk food. Within the first few months she lost the most weight and her blood pressure and colesterol levels plumetted to normal levels. She's still losing weight but in the first year she went from 350 to 200 pounds. Her colesterol and blood pressure levels are still normal and her cravings are gone. She now has energy she never had her entire life. She walks 15 minutes to and from work every day, takes stairs instead of elevators and i'm just amazed at the change in her. Basically what i'm getting at is even though I can't give you a personal account for myself yet, I can give you an account of someone that i'm close to (and I have several other friends with close to the same results even though they didn't need to lose weight except a couple of pounds...They just wanted to feel better and get their blood pressure and colesterol normal). I hope that helps a little more. I hope to be able to start the diet this coming weekend and hopefully can give you my personal account sometime soon.
|

replied November 6th, 2003
Experienced User
Thx Dawningsun
Wow, tt looks like the diet really helped her. Bless her for trying it and sticking with it.

And bless dr atkins wherever he is up in the heavens....

Waiting to hear about your results....
|

replied September 29th, 2004
High Cholesterol
I ran into a product that is all natural and helps lower cholesterol. It is a puree of the whole mangosteen fruit. If you browse to www.Pubmed.Org where medical research is posted, you will find more about the wonders of this southeast asian fruit. Just put the word, "mangosteen" in the search box. It is made by a company called xango. You can research all about this on the web.

This product will not only lower cholesterol, it will detoxicate your liver as well. Taking so much medicine is just not so good for your liver.

Best luck to everyone.

Just go to xangopost.Com if you are interested.
|

replied June 2nd, 2005
Lower Cholesterol Naturally
Hi niceguy

lowering cholesterol takes a complete effort and lifestyle change...Because you don't just want to lower it temporarily...But to sustain it for life.

This includes diet, exercise, stress factors and also natural supplementation

there are many natural alternatives/supplements that can help to lower cholesterol. Some of these are reportedly more effective in lowering cholesterol than prescription medications, without the dangerous side effects

these include: guggul, policosanol, red yeast rice, pantethine etc. In addition there are at least another 30 natural supplements that can help to lower cholesterol. Hope that helps.

All the best

ramzi
|

replied November 10th, 2005
Experienced User
Also In Trouble
I know what you are going through. I have had high cholestorol since I was 11. I first found out when I was 11 that I was 289. It flucctuated from 289-250, but never lower. I have had a complete lifestyle change, I have tried pills, but nothing seems to work. I am doomed to die of a heart attack.... Your not alone.
|

replied March 24th, 2006
Cholesterol
I went to my gp a few yars ago for a hayfever prescription; he insisted that my cholesterol was high (6.4) , immediately took a bp reading (which he has never disclosed to me) and, also immediately, wrote a prescription for 5mgs, daily of an ace inhibitor - the accompanying manufacturers detail sheet specified 1.25mgs. Daily. As so many contributors to this forum seem to have cholesterol levels in the 200s+, why was my quack so worried about a reading of only 6.4? And why decide from one bp reading that I required an ace inhibitor (ramipril) at 4 times the recommended dosage? Anyone have any ideas??
|

replied March 24th, 2006
Cholesterol Reduction From a Doctors Point of View
The only clinically proven, patented, natural alternative to statin drugs for cholesterol reduction

clinically proven to be the best product to improve your levels without the dangerous side effects of prescription drugs.

"dangerous cholesterol levels dropped 52% in some of our study's participants!"
dr. Peter verdegem, unicity chief science officer
t
|

replied June 2nd, 2006
High Cholesterol
High cholesterol can be controlled. I had problems in the past, however, I finally go a handle on it. Bios life 2 helped me and I feel so much better. Take a look at the signature for more information.

Take care
larry
|

replied March 7th, 2007
Check out this link:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254950 ,00.html
Apparently, research has found that garlic DOES NOT lower elevated cholesterol levels!

Lynn Ruder
|

replied March 7th, 2007
How about reading the article and responding to the content instead of just calling it nonsense?

Lynn Ruder
|

replied March 28th, 2007
Maintain Cholesterol the Natural Way
The key is to use ingredients that work by helping to maintain normal cholesterol production in the liver, rather than blocking its absorption.

|

replied March 29th, 2007
You need to find out WHY you have high cholesterol. Cholesterol is not harmful, it is essential, without it you will die. It is produced by the body in response to some illness, injury or disease as a repair mechanism. You need to put right or treat what is wrong with you and your cholesterol will fall naturally. That said, the main cause of inflammation and disease in the body is blood sugars that are not under control. This causes irritation and inflammation such as arterial inflammation and heart disease. Get your sugars down with a low carb diet like Atkins and you will reduce the inflammation and therefore the need for cholesterol to repair it. NEVER take statins, they will kill you faster than any disease you might have. Low carb/high fat is the key to reducing your cholesterol levels and particularly your triglyceride levels.
|

replied June 6th, 2007
I agree with "Whatodo".
Reducing carbs/sugars is the way to go!

Lynn
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
My cholesterol was quite high when I first visited my doctor a few years ago. I was not aware of any high cholesterol history in my family and was quite concerned since I have always been very health conscious. My doctor had been treating me with a statin drug, called Crestor which helps me a lot. Crestor is used to treat high cholesterol. Lowering your cholesterol can help prevent heart disease and hardening of the arteries, conditions that can lead to heart attack, stroke, and vascular disease. It works by reducing levels of "bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. I have been faithful in taking Crestor and have reduced my cholesterol from 247 down to 193 in only 12 weeks.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....