Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

No Motivation, "even Down Looks Up"

I've had zero motivation for so long I can't even remember what it feels like to want. I go through the day like a zombie.I feel useless. Even when things happen that I know I should feel good about I don't really care. I put on a smile and pretend. I'm really good at it. I have great friends that listen and are always there, but it doesn't seem to make a difference no matter how often I talk about it. I would talk more to my family but on top of being a huge portion of most of my problems my mother and sister are both bi-polar and often they are in no condition to help me.
My boyfriend is getting phone numbers from girls he says are just old friends. He gets mad when I get upset about it. It makes me feel ugly and useless and completely undesirable. I feel like the dorky 13 year old that I used to be. Too skinny, big glasses. He doesn't respect my feelings about it at all and all I can do is cry.......
I've never been diagnosed with anything. I feel stupid and weak for even thinking about going to get help. I feel ashamed. I can't go on being so miserable. I don't know what to do with my life, with my mental health. I feel like all of my dreams have died and my heart is broken.
I just don't know what to do........
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 20th, 2004
Experienced User
This may sound weird but try doing something to help or brighten someone else's day. It will in turn help you feel better about yourself. Give someone a card just to say hi (neighbor, ederly person, a new mom, a child). Go have lunch with someone. I went to my kid's daycare and ate lunch with him one day that I was having a terrible day and he was so happy. I couldn't help but feel happier too. Of course- you can see a doctor to see if meds would help you. I just wanted to try to give you something you could try right now to at least boost your motivation.
|

replied October 27th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Check out ces or sound/light machines from either dynamind ort alpha-stim.Com about $us200)
|

replied October 30th, 2004
Well stasia.
I m also so depressed but I think I can forget about myself when I help others if anyone needs my help.
I think if you can not resist problem then flow with it as long as that problem gets weak once it gets weak then you can control it.
Cause u and I have diffrent situations so your problem I simple for me,and my problems are tough for me.
Anyway.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Emotional Exercise
Just like there's physical exercise, there also needs to be emotional exercise to help ourselves. Often we give ourselves negative thoughts, which become a pattern in our lives. I liken it to having plaque buildup in the arteries. Over time, with too many negative thoughts, the "mental artery" gets filled with negative thoughts that slow us down until there's a lack of energy and motivation.
Try this one exercise daily to help yourself: Set a timer for 10, 20, or even 30 minutes if you can. Open up a Word document and begin typing anything that comes into your head that's positive about yourself or that you'd like to have happen to yourself. The goal is to keep typing and to not judge or stop yourself. Stream-of-consciousness typing, so to speak. Keep typing until the time is up. Do this at least once a day for your emotional well-being.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....