Does anyone here no what is suppose to happen during a blighted ovum. I know it's when your body is producing hcg with no fetus in thier. However, would you miscarry the baby with lots of blood and cramps as well. I'm asking because besides the fact that i'm a worry wort I had a slightly normal period last time. Whereas the time before it wasn't even a period. Would you know if you misccarried?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 12th, 2004
Experienced User
I'm not exactly sure what happens with a blighted ovum, however usually when a woman miscarries, there is a lot of cramping and heavy bleeding which normally sends you to the hospital. But I have heard of cases of women miscarrying without even knowing, but its more rare. How far along are you?
|

replied October 12th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
I haven't been confirmed by a doctor yet, but if I am I think i'd be around eleven weeks.
|

replied October 13th, 2004
Blighted Ovum
I just suffered a blighted ovum this past weekend. I found out I was pregnant on 10/5/04 after taking two home pregnancy tests. By 10/9/04 I began cramping and spotting. I was checked out in the er for fear I was having a miscarriage. They drew blood and determined that I had normal hormone levels, and my cervix was not open, so therefore I was not miscarrying and they sent me home. When I got home, I began to cramp harder and bleed more. Then I was sure I was having a miscarriage. On monday I went to the gynacologist and he drew more blood. My hormone levels had plummeted since saturday and the doctor called me and said that most likely I suffered a blighted ovum, otherwise I miscarried between saturday and monday. He felt pretty confident that it was a blighted ovum for two reasons. 1) I did not bleed as much as most do who miscarry and 2) my hormone levels dropped so quickly, yet my cervix was closed on saturday and monday. It is unlikely that I would not have known I miscarried. It was sad news. I hope this helps.
|