Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

My Situation...should I Be Tested

I started my period when I was almost 16y/o and have been irregular ever since. I am now 25. I got on birth control to regulate myself from about 20-24. I am now off and irregular again. Me and my husband are not exactly "trying" but we aren't preventing either. We are content either way. Should I go have blood work done.What kind of test can they do to see if I ovulate @ all. I have been taking my temp but they aren't too easy to read. I thought I ovulated along time ago but I never started. Should I go to the Dr. Or wait until we "start trying" seriously.
Any opinions are welcome!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 25th, 2004
Ovulation
Doctors draw blood to see if you are ovulating. Don't quote me but, I think it is around day 18 of your cycle that they need to draw blood. The doctor can tell you for sure though.

Good luck! Exclamation
|

replied January 27th, 2005
Testing?
Hi I had some tests done on me and found out that I produce too much of the male hormone and not enough of the women one so that is why I don't ovualte or get my periods. I am suppose to be on birth control untill my husband and I are ready to start trying to get pregnant, but I am gonna just wait awhile longer since my doc says it's not bad not too get ur period but it's bad if you don't get them at all cause ur body needs to shed the ickys away. I was also told ihave to go on clomede a fertility drug when we decide we want to start.
|

replied February 6th, 2005
Get Tested!!
If I were you I would go and get tested. It just saves having to do it later and I everything is fine it will put your mind at rest. I am 27yo and was the same as you. I got my period when I was 12 but it was never regular and for a long time I was having unprotected sex with my ex husband. Not really trying for a baby but not doing anything to prevent it and it never happened. Now I am with a new partner and trying desperately to have a baby so I went to get things checked out and it turns out I have cysts on my ovaries and am not ovulating properly. The best time to have a blood test to test for ovulation is about 1wk before your period is due but if you have irregular cycles that could be hard to judge. Just go to the doctor and talk to them about it. They will put you on the right track. If you do find out something is wrong at least you'll be prepared for it and will be able to do something about it to give yourself the best possible chance when you do want to start trying.
Sorry to go on and on but I just don't like to think of anyone else going through the heartache of being told they may never have children.
Good luck!
|

replied February 6th, 2005
Hope All Is Well
Hi I just wanted to say thanks for all the people that are open about this stuff. I figure all these other women have this like I do. It seems weird but then I think to myself as well as my doc tells me, its a very common thing. Just one thing to remember the sooner you get things taken care of the better chance you have of making a baby. My friend waited too long and had to have an ovary removed and now she can't have anymore kids. The other ovary is badly scard and have cyst now too. Its sad. So just go to doc's they should be very helpful in that dept. If not just see someone else untill you are happy..Thanks again to all!!! God bless you!! :d
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....