Sometimes the best advice is what you give and never take. I never seem to be able to fully be happy even though I am improving on my effexor. I have nightmares almost every night and wake up sweating and crying. Am I relapsing or are the meds not working? I am not covered by insurance until november so counseling is out of the question. What can I do to keep from going off the deep end?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Pookiebear
You might try to contact your local mental health department, don't be ashamed, we all need a little help sometime! If you contact your hospital, they might be able to help you with a support group or something until you get your insurance.
How long have you been on the effexor? Sometimes it takes a couple months until your system gets used to them, you might want to contact your Dr. And check out the side-effects on your computer. Also, I am not a Dr. But look up nightmares also on the computer, when I was in school, I was taught that the sub-conscious has a lot to do with nightmares. Their are some self-help exercises for depression, but I also know that it is good to have someone you can trust to talk to.
I am on effexor for other reasons, it has helped me but I also have been on other anti-depressents/anxiety meds(s.S.R.I.'s) before.
You also might p.M. Dr venugopal, he is on a lot of forums here, he is a naturopathic med doc he might be able to suggest something that will help.
The best to you!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

I have been on effexor for over 3 months. It actually has helped a bunch but there are times when I get really depressed and suicidal for a week or two.
Alot of nightmares are from past mistakes I can't forgive myself for and of the rape that screwed me up.
I want to find a christian counselor so I know I won't be judged but I want one that does not know me or my family. I used to go to counseling when I attended college but I had to drop out for a year to get ready for my wedding coming up. I tried going to the hospital when I lived in wv and they almost put me in an institution. Shocked
i appreciate the helpful message and thank you for taking time to help me. :d I am hoping things improve before I lose it completely.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I have a friend of mine that really got heavy depression, I kept her busy, doing things to keep her mind off of her depression but now is receiving professional help and is doing well!
She has also went to a couple of e.M.D.R.(eye movement desensitation reprocessing) sessions which seem to move things along alot faster for her, but I realize we are all different and I am no Dr.
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied November 5th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
I wouldn't go to a counselor, they're just going to talk to you and charge you for talking. I would so some research and find a support group to join. They are usually free of charge and you can develop a lot of new friendships with people who understand what you're going through. Smile
|

replied November 7th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I tend to agree that counsellors are usually useless & jsut cost money - whereas a support group often gives counselling in a more practical form plus you often make good friends or at elast the oportunity to do so.

On the same lines (of research to find a support group) do some on-line research into the effects - short & long term of your meds, reactions to your meds & alternatives to them.
|

replied November 10th, 2004
Experienced User
to Talk Or Not
The ruling thought on therapy is a combination of meds and talk therapy. This means group and/or individual therapy. I find that individual therapy is very helpful especially when I am having a particually difficult time. I personally don't get much out of group therapy because I always have a tendency to down play my problems in front of others. So if you don't feel you can be honest in front of a group about how you are feeling, how bad you are feeling, group therapy might not be good for you.

The good news is there are plenty of resources out there to recieve free or very inexpensive mental health counceling. Check with your local hospital, they usually take your income into consideration to determine what you can pay. You mentioned church, a lot of church organizations offer free counceling. You could probably do internet research on that. Also contact the nimh (national institute for mental health) it will provide local info to help you find help in your area.

Most of all talk to your doctor, your family, and friends, make sure someone is listening and hearing you that you need help.

Best of luck
mia
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....