Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Chest Pains And Irregular Heart Beat

Hi,
iam only 16 and I have an active life. But recently I have been experiencing sharp chest pains and it feels like my chest is being tightened. When that happens my back also starts to hurt. My chest hurt so much sometimes I start to cry. Also sometimes my heart starts to beat so fast that it feels like my heart is going to pop out of my chest. I always get all of these problems anytime of the day, even when im not doing anything and im just watching tv. Lately the chest problems have been becoming more frequent and more painful and lasting longer. When I experience these pain I feel so dizzy I feel like im gunna pass out. My family has a a history of heart problems, diabetes, and my aunt has breast cancer, and I would just like to know what is causing these problems.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 2nd, 2004
Chest Pains And Irregular Heart Beat
Jessyem88,

sounds like youÂ’re describing the symptoms of arrhythmias. An arrhythmia is any disorder of heart rate or rhythm. Arrhythmias are caused by a disruption of the normal electrical conduction system of the heart. There can be a problem in the heart muscle itself, causing it to respond differently. Arrhythmias include tachycardias (the heartbeat is too fast), bradycardias (the heartbeat is too slow), and "true" arrhythmias (a disturbed rhythm).

People at higher risk for arrhythmias and complications from arrhythmias include the following: those who have a history of cardiac conditions such as coronary artery disease or heart valve disorders and also, those with imbalances of blood chemistries. Arrhythmias can also be caused by some substances or drugs. These include beta blockers, psychotropics, sympathomimetics, caffeine, amphetamines, and cocaine. Sometimes antiarrhythmic medications that are prescribed to treat one type of arrhythmia can actually cause another type of arrhythmia. Do you have any of these risk factors?

The symptoms of arrhythmias include: sensation of feeling the heart beat (palpitations), fainting, light-headedness, dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, changes in the rate, rhythm, or pattern of the pulse, paleness, temporarily absent breathing. From what you have described it sounds like some of these symptoms apply. Are you experiencing any other of these symptoms?

Please let me know if this information has helped you in anyway.
|

replied October 5th, 2004
Thanks for writing,
the symptoms that you have listed I have experienced including feeling the heart beat, felling light headed, dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, also changes in rate pattern of pulse. Im not sure about any of the risk factors but ino that my family has a history of heart problems.
And if I do have arrhythmia would it just go away or get worse if I do nothing?
|

replied October 7th, 2004
Jessyem88,

you were describing symptoms that a friend of mine had experienced. He saw his doctor and they ran a lot of tests and they determined that he had arrhythmia. If you already haven't done so, I recommend that you see your doctor and get this checked out right away.
|

replied October 7th, 2004
Okay, thanks for helping :d
|

replied October 29th, 2004
Check for a mitral valve prolapse and make sure not to have dental work done without taking antibiotics if you do have one.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....