Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Adderall, Insomnia, & Anorexia

I'm a college student on about 60mg of adderall a day for add (20mg/3x/day). I'm incredibly dependent on it and use it primarily for weight control. I get incredibly satisfaction out of how long I can go without eating. I haven't been sleeping at all either, I usually go a few days without any sleep at all. Once in awhile I get 4 or 5 hours worth of sleep and then continue the cycle. I recently fractured my rib from having a cold and coughing too much/hard. I know my life is spiraling out of control and once in awhile I eat a considerable meal so my friends can stop worrying so much. I don't know what to do though, I refuse to ask for help or acknowledge my situation. I feel no desire to really change anything but i'm scared and feel like there is no one I can, or want to, talk to. I don't know why i'm really posting this, I guess I just wanted to share and see if anyone else has ever had the same problems while also using adderall or another type of amphetamine. I was never like this before I started using it. I'm depressed unless i'm on it, mainly because it's harder to restrict my food and I have a constant fear of getting fatter. Stopping the medication for a few months has never seemed to help either. I'm sure all 3 problems are connected so I wasn't sure which board to post on. Anyways, i'm not really sure what i'm looking for so no response is really necessary.... Arrow Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 7th, 2003
I haven't been in a situation exactly like yours - but I do know what it's like to live with depression.

I'm on prozac and trileptal, and the occasional xanax...

If your medications are making you not eat and not sleep, talk to your doctor immediately... Most likely he/she won't take you off them cold turkey, but who can say.

Wish I could give you more specific advice, but just know that someone here is listening. Smile
|

replied November 16th, 2004
Hey i'm a college student too, and i've resently been told I have add...(which sure does answer a lot of questions) and i've been put on adderall...Last month it was 15mg morning and 15mg evening and now i'm just doing 20mg adderall xr in the morning. Anyways..I'm about 5'4" 5'5" and I wieghed about 115lbs before I started which is totally fine but now i'm down to 110...Now i'm not glad i'm taking adderall cuz its making me lose wieght and the only reason I want to keep taking it is cuz it helps very much when i'm in class and doing homework etc. This is probably because I wasn't really over wieght before...Like I was pretty darn happy with my weight before...You know just mad at the little be of skin you could grab..But the best way to help that is working out...Anyways though what i'm getting at is that I can't say that deep down i'm not happy about losing 5 lbs..But if I lose anymore its really not a good thing...But anyways...My point here is that my main concern is gaining the ability to focus...The fact that you are sooo concerned about the wieght issue...I really hope makes you get help...Think about it if I were to meet you right now in person..The last thing I would notice is your wieght...Dude more then half the american population is overwieght..Even if someone is overwieght they are still the majority...Just because you look at a modern model and see ribs and no boobs does not mean thats what sexy...Would you want a boney guy or a meaty sexy guy??? Moveing on..The main reason for eating disorders is that it gives you something to control...I dont know much about this..Cuz personally with add I have a hard time controlling much of anything and dont really care...But all i'm saying is that I wish all of you the best and I love you girls...And soo do so many other people...So please for the ones who love you get help! You've already accomplished a huge step just by recognizing you have a problem....Give your body and mind..What it really deserves..Love!
|

replied April 14th, 2009
hmm
well i cant say i have had the same addiction or issues with that particular drug, but i know exactly how you feel. if you ever need someone to talk to, because i know i do at times, feel free to IM me at arrilikepirates ...im pretty much online a lot so i should respond if you do IM me. either way...i do not really feel very comfortable sharing this but i have dealt with amphetamine addiction as well as general drug addiction in order to suppress my appetite...i feel that like you, i need someone to talk to who i can relate to and who knows what life is like feeling out of control and not quite sure knowing what to do because there is no one who understands. i would love to talk to you because i think we have a lot in common and much to share with one another. so i hope to hear from you, but if not then good luck with everything and i hope you can find the help you need to feel better. =)
|

replied June 12th, 2011
160-126lbs from adderall and starving
I have the same issues. I started taking adderall I had been given and lost 35 lbs. I used it so that I would have energy to go to the gym. I would then burn 2000 cals at the gym on an empty stomach daily. Needless to say, I lost the weight very fast and was getting everyones attention and my sorority started saying I had an eating problem. I looked great and I was going to continue to do this. I originally weighed 160 and got down to 126 at one time. I made myself take the medicine because I knew that it made me workout as the amphetamine qualities make you want to finish tasks (that is why kids take it for concentration). Without adderall, I had no motivation to run. I eventually did this from September 2010 until March 2011. I ran out of supply of adderall and gained back all of my weight. I am now starting to do this again as my mom got a prescription and has been telling me I need to lose weight. It is day three of not eating...126 here I come again.
I know the high you get after you don't eat and then workout and burn those calories and are still not tired.
|

replied January 10th, 2012
I am also a college student and am currently blogging about my recovery and what you should expect. Check it out at anaturalsortoflovely.wordpress.com
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....