Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

This One Might Take Some Research

Ok, so my friend and I have been doing some more research about what's going on with her. We have found that some people experience pregnancy symptoms after coming off the pill...

She got off birth control (ortho- low dose) in july. In august she had a normal period. Last month is when she had the two day period. She is definately experiencing most of the pregnancy symptoms.

Ok guys, which one seems more logical? Do you know anything about this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 5th, 2003
Well
There are some doses of the pill that are so low that pregnancy is possible while taking it but not probable.

Also there is that 1% of women who become pregnant while on the pill. With any pill... It takes 30 days for it to work effectively.

Is it possible your friend had unprotected sex within her first 30 days of taking the pill?

Has she forgotten to take the pill at all while she's been on it and had unprotected sex?

There's alot of possibilities to consider here. If she's really concerned she should see her doctor.
|

Experienced User
Well, she finished her last pack in july and had a normal period in august. Then in september, she had a two day period. So... I guess we're just wondering if these symptoms she's having are from being off of the pill, or if it's pregnancy. I didn't think that the pill, being a low dose and only being on a year, would cause this severity of side effects. So....We just don't know what the heck..
|

Ohhhhhhhh
I read your question wrong sorry...

She just got off of it... Well the she is more than likely experiencing hormonal changes from being off the pill. It takes about 6 months to successfully get pregnant after being on the pill but every woman is different. Be careful about false positives right now.. If she comes up with a positive hpt be sure to get a bloodtest.
|

replied October 6th, 2003
Experienced User
Well, I guess the biggest reason we're wondering about the symptoms being related to getting off the pill is because she was on such a low dose and for less than a year. So, I didn't think it would do that if on a low dose for a short period of time?
|

replied October 6th, 2003
Happened to Me...
I was on ortho lo dose until late june. Since I have not used any birth control. I had a normal period in july and in august... Missed my period... It only took me 2 months off of bc to concieve. Ususally if you have alittle spotting or light bleeding when you are to get your period it is sometimes implantation bleeding and is indicitive of pregnancy. Get a test and let us know!
|

replied October 7th, 2003
Experienced User
That's the thing is she did take a test and it said negative. But her mom went through the same thing when she was pregnant. She went for six months getting tests and they all said negative. I think she's going to get a blood test soon, but she's just wondering if it's likely that she's pregnant or if it is from coming off of ortho lo dose.

So you had two normal periods when you came off? She had one normal period in august and i'm pretty sure she had sex after that and then in sept. She had a two day period which is very unusual for her. She was feeling very sick and light headed. She's feeling less sick but is more tired than normal. Do you think she's pregnant, stressed, or is it from coming off the pill???
|

Extremely eHealthy
When u come off the pill ,ur cycle is bound to b different because you've all of a sudden changed the hormone levels within it. Generally, I can take a woman a couple of weeks for eveything to feel normal again-some wait months though
|

Experienced User
Well, she was only on a low dose and she had a regular period the month after. She's going to take another hpt tonight, but it if comes up negative, she's going to wait for a couple of weeks.

She also wanted me to thank everyone who's been responding to our posts. She's pretty nervous about the whole thing, so we'll just see what happens.

Where' s nikki go?
|

Like a lot of folks said. When I came off the pill my body did some funky things. I had my period this first month (the Dr. Said that I still had the pill in my system) then I missed two months after that. A lot of Dr.'s suggest that women wait 3 to 4 months before trying to get pregnant after they stop the pill. But that doesn't mean you can't get pregnant. It sounds silly, but you can also give yourself symptoms by worrying about it. Tell her to relax. It probably the effects of coming off the pill. But she may want to consult her Dr. Just in case.

Good luck
|

replied October 18th, 2005
Coming Off the Pill
I just got off the pill and I was on it for only 5 months and am having the same exact symptoms as your friend. I got a 2-day period a week after getting off the pill and I am waiting to see if I miss my period in a few weeks. I've also been very tired and lightheaded!
The last time I got pregnant I was on the pill for 8 years and it took only 3 weeks to conceive - not 6 months to a year which is what the doctors tell you.
So I think I am pregnant.

Is your friend pregnant?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I got pregnant off the pill wiht my daughter but I was happy about it. My mom got pregnant off the pill for two of us and well you can still get pregnant off the pill. When I stopped taking the pill I noticed a big difference my periods we really irregualar for two months and when I got pregnant this time I till had my period for the first two months.........Tell ur buddy to get checked at drs
|

I got pregnant right after I got off of birth control....My second expected period never came and now im 9 weeks pregnant...Good luck!
|

replied October 20th, 2005
I'm Not Pregnant
Turns out I am not pregnant I just got my period, I must be experiencing pregnancy symptoms from coming off the pill. We are disappointed but I guess we didn't try enough, hopefully it will happen this month. :(
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
User Profile
User Profile
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...