Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Depression During Pregnancy Forum

Anxiety Disorder During Pregnancy And Vice Versa

I'm new here, so I hope i'm doing this right? I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has had a severe problem with anxiety and then became pregnant? That's my situation. I've read that if this happens, your anxiety can become better during the course of pregnancy and be non existent during delivery. Apparently it has something to do with carbon dioxide!? Although, i've also read that anxiety can worsen after delivery. That's my fear. I may be setting my self up for failure or armegeddon afterwards by worrying about it now, but I would like to enjoy that time with my family and new baby. I'm looking for someone who has had this experience and lived through it, or someone who has any input. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 24th, 2004
Experienced User
Its hard to say what will happen everyones experience is different. What you need to make sure is that everyone around you knows how you feel. That way they can help you in any way possible. I suffer from gad and ocd. I have 2 children and now pregnant with #3! So dont worry you can do it :d family was and still is very importatant and the best support group available. When my first was born it took about 3 mos for me to realize I could do it. It will be ok!
|

replied March 28th, 2005
Me Too!
Oh my god, scatterbrain, I am the same way as you...Well I am not pregnant yet. You see I am having preconception anxieties. I am constantly worrying about how I can deal with my anxiety while being pregnant. I know every woman is different but if you get any more info about this can you please share it here. I would like to know if the anxiety subsides with pregnancy...Haha cause if so I want to be barefoot and pregnant all the time!!

Always remember we create anxiety in our minds, it's up to us to stop it with positive thinking. Just concentrate on this wonderful miracle that is growing inside you and once he or she is born, you will have all the love in the world for it.

When you said that the anxiety can worsen after delivery....I'm sure it's because our hormones are out of wack. Just accept that after you deliver you are going to be your normal self for a while, accept try your best to
be happy and smiling. Even pretending to be happy works some times.

Good luck to you and all the best
|

replied March 30th, 2005
Well fortunately I am one to give advice on this topic now because I have a beautiful 2 month old little girl! All is soooo much better than anticipated! I started taking effexor at the same time I got pregnant so I really don't know what was making the improvement? Doesn't really matter to me how! I did have a few episodes afterwards that scared me a little, but I dealt with them accordingly and I feel awesome! (sonds like a commercial)!? I was always prescribed ssri's, effexor was the first of a new kind I tried and maybe i'm just lucky, but maybe some people will find it works for them as well. Good luck to all!
|

replied April 5th, 2005
Hey scatterbrain....Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl. I am so happy that everything worked out for you.

You mentioned that you had a few episodes. Were those full blown panic attacks? So did you find that you were less anxious while you were pregnant....Please share your experience. I would love specifics.

|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
Its hard for me to give advice when i'm in your shoes lol. Sometimes I get excited, worried, stressed. Right now my blood pressure is on the rise in a bad way. The doctor had me do a 24 hr urine test. I have to keep all my urine in a juh in the fridge and bring it in later this afternoon. They also want to do blood tests. I hope theres nothing seriously wrong with me.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...