Does anyone know if acne can be triggered by sugar levels? My neck has started breaking out really bad-i've tried acne things(clearasil, etc) but nothing works. I'm only 1 year into this diabetes thing-can type I diabetes cause acne? It's not on my face and I don't touch my neck a lot or anything!! Confused Anyone experience this? I'm 17.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 29th, 2005
Hey Fellow Type 1 Diabetic
Hi I was diagnosed with diabetes almost two years ago I am now 23 yrs old. I have also been having weird acne along my jawline and neck. I am researching and asking everyone I know for the answers but I do think that having type 1 is associated with acne. I am with you in the struggle...
|

replied April 30th, 2005
Amberpeterson
Amber...I see that you live in santa monica, I live right next to the beverly center. I am 29 and newly diagnosed with type 1 about 9 months ago. Maybe we should chat? Or even meet?

Let me know
|

replied May 20th, 2005
Well there might be something in the acne thing, I always had acne when I was younger and when I was diagnosed, but it was generally on my forehead and side of my face, now that seems to have cleared up and as one of you said I only get it on my next shoulders and around my jaw line, odd isn't it but there could be something
|

replied June 24th, 2005
Recent Break Out
Hello...

I've been noticing acne along my jawline, a few on my neck, shoulders and back...I decided to research the cause of this recent break out...It started a few months ago when I began canoe paddling, so I figured exposure to the sun or the wharf water had something to do with it...Now i'm thinking type 1 diabetes may be the culprit :? Diabetes does run on both sides of my family...I hope this is not the case and that my recent break out is just a hormonal thing...

Mercy
|

replied June 24th, 2005
Acne In Type 1 Diabetics
I'm a 19 year old type 1 diabetic. I have the same problem. My Dr. Once told me people w/ diabetes will have more acne than someone w/o diabetes.
|

replied August 31st, 2005
Diabetes And Acne
I have been diabetic for several years now, insulin dependent since 11/04. My blood sugar levels were relatively normal until 9/04, two months before I started taking insulin. At the same time my neck started breaking out with a strange appearing acne. By strange I mean it did not look like the typical acne and will not go away. I haven't asked my doctor and will be seeing a dermotologist about it but I can almost guarantee it is diabetes related. I say this because diabetics have a lowered immune system in comparison to non-diabetics and are more prone to infection. Therefore, we would be more prone to acne as acne is caused by infection of the poors in your skin. Sounds logical anyway.
Vikki
|

replied March 21st, 2006
I have a problem with break outs on my neck and chest and even on my stomach.The ones on my chest don't even look like acne they are little whit bumps under the skin.Ive tried to get rid of them but wont go away,anyways my doctor told me the acne is caused from the hormone inbalace caused by diabetes where your sugars are up and down all the time.
|

replied May 22nd, 2006
Yeah I Am
20, diabetic for most of my life and I have this weird acne around my jawline as well. How bizarre!!!!!I have never heard anything about it though
|

replied October 15th, 2007
Disheartening Dillema
I'm 33 and been diabetic since i was 9. I had little acne as a teen. Lately(past cple yrs) I have developed these white bumps. They were primarily on my back, but recently have moved to my chest, neck and especially my head(extremely itchy,annoying, and of course probably scabbing, which could be a major bummer considering diabetes is also causing me to lose some hair up there...) I use doxycycline and a topical solution(clyndimiacin for my head) but continue to suffer. Yes, I believe all relating to my BS highs and lows, which have steadily increased as I age. Anyway, it is good to see there is a corrilation with my conditions on here and wish I was able to control my sugars better, to stop this.
|

replied November 26th, 2007
Re: Acne In Type 1 Diabetics
jennseiber wrote:
I'm a 19 year old type 1 diabetic. I have the same problem. My Dr. Once told me people w/ diabetes will have more acne than someone w/o diabetes.

Is this because of stress? Shocked
|

replied March 5th, 2009
acne
We'll I have to say I'm relieved in one way to know that I'm not the only one out there, but not relieved to know that noone seems to have a cure. I've been diabetic for 6 years know and I am 29. At age 26 I started to have the white bumps around the chest,jaw line, back and was very distubed. I tried doxycycline for about a year with topical soap and that didn't seem to do it. I am battling it severly around the jawlind currently and my Dr. has suggested accutane. has anyone that is diabetic tried this yet. It is the last hope I have currently but is a pretty strong medication, so I just wanted to see if it has worked?
|

replied June 13th, 2009
Acne and diabetes
My 13 year old has had diabetes since he was 9 and has always had skin issues. He's now getting weird acne on his back and neck... could it be that the liver isn't doing what it's supposed to, lots of highs and lows, mostly highs, not drinking enough water, eating ok, but junk too, and sweating a lot in Hawaii. I have been giving him a liver herb, probitics, krill oil, B Complex and liquid vitamins. That for sure helps because it's worse when I don't give them to him. Hormones, hello... that all has to do with the endocrine system. Eating more greens or drinking them, more water, no stress, yeah, right. All helps. Vegetable oils DO effect your skin for SURE. Don't listen to those that say it doesn't matter what you eat. That's not truth. Stay more alkaline. Carbs, unfortunately not our friend.... Aloha to all.
|

replied July 21st, 2009
I have had type 1 since I was 7, and am now 21. I have had acne since freshman year in high school. Usually very mild but alway present, and no matter what treatments I used on my face it was always there. I read recently that there was a link between uncontrolled BS levels. I had always suspected that there was some kind of relationship between the two and I am really convinved as of late. I have been monitoring my levels more frequently for the past few weeks and the acne has faded alot. I read online that high BS cause drying of the skin and that can lead to acne.
|

replied September 29th, 2010
FOR KOAJOHN
Hi, this reply is specifically for Koajohn.
Your son's acne is most likely triggered by his age and the normal hormone influx which accompanies this. Diabetes, as you know, is an endocrinological problem, which therefore affects the hormone system. However I would not be concerned with giving him any form of herbal remedy so much as I would focus on his blood sugar levels. Consistently high blood sugar levels will defeat his immune system's capabilities of fighting even the most minor infections, such as acne. However the long term risks of running high blood sugars will affect the rest of his life. They WILL trigger all forms of complications such as retinopathy(loss of eyesight in ectreme caes), neuropathy(damage to his nerves), kidney failure and other immune system related disfunctions. High blood sugars are not to be taken lightly. Deal with them and all other conditions your son is, or will be dealing with, will be all more easily rectified.
I have had type one diabetes for 28 years, almost since birth, and cannot stress enough the importance of blood sugar control in the management of your son's condition and his longevity in general.
If you have any questions pertaining to anything related please do not hesitate to contact me back.
|

replied November 16th, 2011
Wow, I am so glad to know that its not just my freaky skin! I was diagnosed with gestational diabets in 1998 and it came back as full blown type 2 about 3 years ago. I am constantly having these rash type acne breakouts on my jawline and neck. Careful skin care only seems to make it worse. My doc said it was a combination of acne and excema who gets those both in the same spot? how is that even possible they are on he opposite sides for skin conditions. My allergy doc told me with diabetes your immune system can sometime over react to irritants causing or really more complicating exsisting skin conditions. Its all about your body attacking its own self. Its the same way it can cause blindness, kidney faliure and even amputation due to tissue damage and necrosis.
|

replied October 1st, 2012
Type 1 and acne...uggh
Well looks like I am the first to add a comment in 2012. I will be 37 in November and have had Type 1 since I was 10. Didn't really suffer from acne as a teen. Had a 1 year run of it freshman year in college probably due to stress, but then all cleared up and I had very nice Irish skin until about my mid 20s and then boom my chest, back, neck, head, butt and sometimes even my legs. My blood sugars of course have been on a complete roller coaster ride due to a serious struggle with money and I swear this is the cause of it all. My face strangely enough seems fine. Very oily skin and sometimes my pores appear a bit larger than I would like as well as showing some pits from that freshman year in college.

Anyways I am hoping that with a new job and a move to Boston that I may be able to finally afford the pump and some decent groceries. It seems I have to constantly settle on bulk carbs just to make it through the day. It is pretty aggravating overall. The sugars seem to cause some mood swings and the acne has literally caused me to sabotage relationships with potential partners on several occasions. In fact I am in the process of avoiding a woman whom I truly enjoy because I don't want her to see the acne on my body when we get intimate.

Someday, I really hope someday both the Diabetes can normalize and with it the acne. I def notice my skin gets noticeably clearer when I can afford a month at a gym during the tourist season when I am making a decent buck and can stick to micro greens, lean meats and such
|

replied December 1st, 2012
I have had type one diabetes since age 27. I am now 32. I have used insulin on and off and I have tried virtually everything under the sun to stay off insulin as much as I can. No matter what kind of insulin I use, I always find the side effects unbearable. I have had some success using a raw vegan diet to stay off insulin.

Back to the subject. I don't believe I have ever had acne as a result of diabetes. It appears to be a result of using some kinds of insulin. You may want to try changing the kind of insulin that you use to another brand (which will probably substitute the acne for excessive bloating or some other side effect).

I have a huge and very painful break out on the back of my neck and some along my jaw line. It is so bad I have several swollen lymph nodes and the 'zits' are huge. There's like five of them and on two of them the swelling extends larger than the size of a dime. I find it hard to sleep at night because of the pain. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd like to get off insulin right now. I'm hoping to wind down from taking insulin once I'm done with final exams. But for the time being, I'm just going to keep taking the stuff.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Acnes breakout can be due to uncontrolled hyperglycemia but its common in teenage and adolescence.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.