Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

I'm Getting More And More Sad (Page 1)

Hey everyone, as you can see I am a newbie.

I am a 19 year old girl and I have a huge problem. I have severe acne. My mother had it when she was little and I believe that she is 45 yrs old.

I have been using that l'orel....Oh crap I forgot what its called....Well its a 3 step process ya know the wash, toner, and lotion stuff. Sorry I forgot the kind. And a mask as well.

I have had acne since 7th grade, I have tried to hide it with makeup....Bad thing. And I have gotten the guys attention a couple of times. Now that I am 19 yrs old I am trying to heal it without the makeup and now I feel like the ugly duckling. I try so hard to look happy but deep inside I feel ugly. I basically have it around my chin, jawline, cheeks, and under the nose. I have been drinking tons of water and more veggies.

I am on a very tight buget and I was wondering if you all had some kind of remedy that might help me. I have also looking up some information and for some reason they dont work.

I am just glad to find a message board that I can come to and tell this problem to you people. :d

please someone help me.

Thank you,

johndeereismyvehicle19
(aka....Sara)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 14th, 2004
Personally I don’t care if a girl has acne from a guys point of view any way. I had severe acne when I was younger. It went away on its own. Does your mother still have acne? One more thing we live in the same are kind of cool huh? I live in duluth mn. Like I said I personally don’t care if a girl has acne. I can actually relate. I sure got a lot of crap for it in school though.
|

replied September 15th, 2004
Acne is horrible. Makes me so depressed and frustrated! Im 18 and ive been trying to get rid of it since I was 14, I dont have it sevear but I have the worse habbit of picking and scraching my acne which scares my face. Ive never had anything that gets rid of acne for good just temporary ( 2-4 months). Retin a micro works its a cream that you apply to the face but the only thing is its painful. It makes your face red in the spots it peels and it burns if you put stuff on your face while its peeling. So if you were to use it, use it when you plan on staying home for a while. You can only get retin a micro from a doctor, it was $5.00 for me because of insurance. Then theres also these bacteria pills I dont know what there called but you can ask a doctor, the bacteria pills worked good but I was taking them with the cream. Also some birth control pills helps for some people, it helped me for the first couple of months but my acne came back again. I wish I knew of a long term solution. I hate having to apply make up to cover it, its such a big hassle and it ruins your face in a long run.
|

replied September 23rd, 2004
Experienced User
I'm a 20 year old male. I have severe acne as well. I have not found anything that will just clear it up. I know mine is also heridtary. My father had it as well as my two brothers. I somehow got the worst case of it. All I can say is eat right (not the wendy's way) hehe. And stay clean. There are drugs that supposedly help it but the tetracycline route didn't do me much good and I don't feel like poisoning myself with accutane. I know people ith far less severe cases then mine use accutane, but I don't want to put up with any side effects. I like to stay pretty active, and bad joints wouldn't be good for me. I wash my face with a facewash by nivea it does really well it has vitamins and moisturiser in it. I don't like to dry out my face like benzyl peroxide does. It doesn't feel nice. The nivea seems to take the redness out pretty well and as long as you can get away from the temptation of picking on your acne it seems to do fairly well at going away. For body acne, i've tried a salcyclice acid soltion bodywash which is supposed to clear the hair follicles but that didn't work great for me. I do have a black soap I purchased from nasabb that gives me a nice clean feel. I don't use the soap on my face because it really dries it out. I've treid and tested a lot of things. If you have any questions pm me.
|

replied September 25th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Makeup does not ruin your face!Lol. That is too funny. Actually a heck of a lot of makeup contains vitamins and whatnot that will improve your skin.

Acne is a terrible, terrible problem and I don't know an all around solution. Different things work for different people.

Personally, I use regular dial antibacterial soap and I also use klear action (generic proactiv, much cheaper) I drink lots of water and try to eat a well balanced and healthy diet. It keeps mine at a minimum, but of course doesn't keep it completely away.
Oh, I also have a pore vaccum that I use 2-3 times a week. It is awesome!
|

replied September 26th, 2004
Makeup foundation does ruin the face, it clogs the pores in the face it also gives wrinkles on the face in the long run if you use it often.
|

replied September 27th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Only certain types of makeup clogs pores. Other kinds actually protect pores from getting clogged.

And no, it does not cause wrinkles. Most makeup now actually contains ingredients that help prevent wrinkles.
|

replied October 28th, 2004
Pimples run in my family but I don;t have that much of a prblem with acne compared to my sister. Her pimples keep coming up one over the other.Well, my sister uses godiva antiblemish cream and also the soap, I think, for her face and I can see tat her skin is clearer than before. Hope this helps.
|

replied November 10th, 2004
Experienced User
Proactiv works- thats all I can say ( not trying to advertise, just trying to help)
|

replied November 11th, 2004
Experienced User
I have severe hereditary acne also. It started when I was in fourth grade, and i'm now 18, and it hasn't gotten any better. I tried all the prescriptions, and all the otc's, and nothing worked for any period of time. Tetracycline got rid of it for about a month, but they wouldn't represcribe it, because I may need the antibiotic in the future for a "real" problem, and they don't want me to become immune to it.

Makeup only makes it worse, even if I use the kind that specifically says it's an acne fighter. I spent twenty dollars on foundation that was supposed to help get rid of my acne while covering it up, and it didn't do either.

I don't know what to say, other than don't stress about it. I know that's hard, but it's true. Acne does not make you ugly, and any guy who says it does isn't worth talking to anyway. I stressed about it for years, and wouldn't get close to any guys because I was afraid of what they'd say, but I finally stopped caring, and am now in the best relationship of my life. There's no one solution that works for everyone...Sometimes you just have to wait and let time deal with it.

Daile
|

replied November 11th, 2004
Experienced User
Ok here is a lot of help. Hope it works.

If u need makep-be sure it is not oil based.

I have also heard proactiv works.

I use mary kay (which yes is somewhat exp. But it sounds like u spend a lot on the loreal stuff) and it works great

my mom used to use tetracyclene antibiotic pills from her dermatoligist and it was the only thing that helped her

if ur face is oily it could be becuz ur not using enough lotion and ur face its trying to moisturize itself

obviously don't touch ur face

drink a lot of water to help cleanse ur pores

eat healthy, so there r not as many toxins entering ur pores

good luck!
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2004
Experienced User
I am 27 years old and have had severe acne all my life ( I even had infant acne). I have been on all of the creams, ointments, rubs, pills.. Even been on acutane 2 times. Proactive worked for about 6 months on me. Mine is unfortunatly heriditary. All I do now is try to controll it, unfortunaly there is no "cure" for acne. I use the oil of olay deep pore cleansing face wash for oily skin and use a spot treatment with saylicitic acid in it.. Seems to work for the most part. I still have breakouts every month but the sores are not as large. Also try to limit caffeene consumption.

I know it is hard, but it is part of who you are.
|

replied December 17th, 2004
Acne
I just wanted to let you know that I am a 49 yr old grandmother who was plagued with acne most of my life. Mine did not improve dramatically until I started into menopause. I think that is because the hormone levels decreasing helped. But things that I have learned along the way might be of help. 1) a oil-free cream makeup applied with a damp sponge will not enter your pores the way liquid makeup can. 2) always wash makeup off before going to bed and only wear makeup when you need to go out - less is better. 3) use acne medication on breakouts and do not squeeze pimples - if you must do something with pus-filled pimples, then use a sterilized needle in make small break in the center and then use a clean cotton swab to apply acne medication to it to allow medication to penetrate more fully. Again do not squeeze as you will damage the skin and may cause permanent scarring. 4) continue to find emotional support as you are doing by finding others who can relate and help you keep your spirits up. The only other thing that I can say is that you are more than your appearance - find your true value in the things you are good at and surround yourself with true friends who look beyond the surface.
|

replied January 10th, 2005
Hello
Yeah, trust me I know exactly how you feel. Alot of us do. For one, I have tried everything, probably even what you are using right now. But for the past, oh lemme say two months, I have had clearer skin than ever before! I got a body bath kit from my mom for my birthday and she had tossed some loofahs and things in..I had never really used one of the tough loofahs before, they seemed too hard and uncomfortable, but let me tell you, exfoliating works! I have back acne and chest and upper arms and face and neck and some even on me legs and well, my butt to!Ugh! It sux, but I swear it is clear enough all over most of the time that I can wear skirts and tank tops, I have never been able to do that until now! Also, use a mild soap like basis, there's is really good. See the more harsh scrubbing and drying out you do, the more oil your skin is going to produce to make up for lack of moisture. Now I am not gonna tell you to moisturize cuz I don't, I like my face to feel tight and clean, not greasy,heh. But try and keep it balanced. This is my daily regimen, just give it a try, I know how you feel, like I said be gentle, and don't pick...It's hard but don"t you will notice such a difference in a week if you don't pick and try these few things you will be amazed I swear!
Okay here goes:
as soon as you get up, get a shower. Use the tough loofah (the real hard ones) and gently rub in a circular motion all over your body and around where your acne is on your face (be extra gentle on your face). Then, with your hands lather up some of that basis bar soap and gentle rub it on your face and rinse it off. Right before you get out, rinse off with cold water, it'll close up your pores and keep dirt out.
Okay, eat a good breakfast, and take a multi-vitamin(key thing here) I take olay daily vitamins, you can buy a cheaper brand, no matter. Also I take an extra vitamin e, wich will help your skin also, big time. Okay with that drink water, avid water drinkers have less acne then they would if they didn't drink it. You would know I guess. I am glad you drink plenty. Okay moving on, make-up is okay, just make sure it is oil free! It's fine if it is. At nite take another shower and again gently exfoliate, and wash with the basis soap. After you get out of the shower, drink water right before bed and put a thin layer of benzoyle peroxide cream(from doctor, or drugstore) on the problem areas. I also recommend, maybe in your down-time, quit caffiene if you can and switch to dandelion tea, it is a natural anti-oxidant which will clear your skin nicely, as well as just one serving of yogurt a day! It's amazing! Please try this for just a week and be easy not to inflame or irriatate yourself. Best of luck to you! I feel your pain!
|

replied January 17th, 2005
Ive had acne as well since about the 7th grade.... And I know exactly where your commin from....Although ive enver had it severe, ive had it bad enough to ruin my self esteme....Im now 21 and since I was 20 I havent really had much at all....Ever since I started using this stuff called cetaphil, its an over the counter cleanser and it worked on my and my aunt (who had the worst acne anyone has ever seen as a teen). But yeah try it, worked for me...
|

replied February 4th, 2005
Experienced User
Hey
Try stridex pads. I used to have large pimples scattered around my face, but then I used stridex for like a month and it healed really well! I only have like 2 microscopic pimples now.
|

replied February 6th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Klear action, generic proactiv, works wonderfully. I have tried so many different things and that really works. Plus it is only like $20 for a "month" supply, but since you use it so sparingly, it really lasts for about three.
I also use mary kay makeup, oil free, and it is better to wear than to not wear makeup at all. It doesn't clog your pores and it protects your face from things that do. It keeps the dirt and oil from getting into your pores. No, it doesn't "ruin" your face and it wont make you break out either. And I am sure there are other kinds out there too, I am not trying to make mary kay sound great and I simply trying to make you understand that the right kind of makeup is not bad for you, will not ruin your face and wont make you breakout. That is just silly. Yeah, cheap, oily, makeup that isn't hypoallergenic probably will make your acne worse, but not makeup will or can ruin your face.
|

replied March 11th, 2005
I've been through this for the past 5 years (since 7th grade) and have learned a lot about what's good for my skin. This is my routine, you can take what you want from it for your routine:
put on benzoyl peroxide before bed, right after coming out of the shower (before your hands/face get any dirt particles), do your thing, and then sleep for 10-12 hours, so that the benzoyl peroxide will have time to work its magic and your face will secrete enough oils by then that you won't be too dry from the medication. Neutrogena on the spot treatment works for me, but it's expensive. Does anyone know if differin works, by the way?
Wash 2 times a day, 3, if it's a long day with a good cleanser. This is super important. I use a shiseido cleanser because it's totally effective but not harsh and suited for asian skin. I also use a shiseido moisturizer with spf but I use like a quarter of a pea sized amount in the morning after showering so my skin is still a little dry, but it'll moisturize itself in an hour.
Wear makeup labeled noncomedongenic only - it means it won't clog your pores.
|

replied March 12th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Make sure the makeup is also hypoallergenic. I don't know if I mentioned this before or not, but the only foundation I have ever used that doesn't make me break out even if it is hypoallergenic and doesn't clog pores is mary kay. I am not saying that is the only one that works, but it is the only one that works for me. Everything I have ever bought in the store regardless of how expensive makes me break out worse.
Klear action really works people. No, not for everyone I am sure, but please give it a try. I buy it at drugstore.Com and it is less than $20 for the kit. Plus, the kit lasts me at least three months so that is only about six dollars a month! And it does work. I am not trying to sell you on it, but I do want to share a product that helped me so much. It made my pores appear smaller, reduced the oil in my skin and even made my acne scars lighter (some disappeared altogether).
I also use a pore vaccuum from panasonic that was less than $50 and it gets rid of my black heads, keeps my pores from clogging and also shrinks the size of the pores on my nose.
Just ideas. Everyone's skin is different and nothing anyone suggests will work for everyone, but if I can help anyone I will be happy!
|

replied April 9th, 2005
Acne can't be solved by just a cream! Acne appears on peoples faces because of either stress, diet, tension, sun exposure, lymp drainage, sebaceous glands are over producing and more. As you can see you need to be a detective to figure out why acne is there. Don't listen to these people who try to sell you a cream that can take car of acne or wrinkles. You need to find out why is this problem here. You need to repair and rejuvenate your dermis layer to really get things fixed.

Good luck!
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....