Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Why Would Liver Enzymes Be Elevated In the Bloodwork?

Help!! I'm a little nervous. My liver enzymes are elevated and it's scaring me to death. I had a sonogram done of the abdomen and bloodwork done 3 times. Any suggestions as to what it may be or what they're looking for? I've been having some spells the last couple of years, but they told me it was panic attacks. Which it could have been. But also sometimes when this happens I eat something sweet (sugar) and it goes away in 20 minutes. But my sugar is not low. Like 105. I was taking zoloft and it helped. Now the Dr. Wants me to stop for a while. I guess to see if it might be the medicine. Any info for me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2004
Liver enzymes can be elevated for a number of reasons - some of them very benign (i.E., increased usage of ibuprofen, etc). This is because everything passes thru the liver. Was anything else elevated, like ast, sgot, etc? If so, that may be why they are doing additional tests.
|

replied August 14th, 2012
My liver enzymes are both high also and have been 2 months on all 4 lab tests (CMP). I am also scraed as I also have a fatty liver that an unltrasound showed last year; I also had a high fever a month straight this year from Mayto June, no other symptoms, bur AFTER the fever left a CMP was done and there was the high enzymes. I also have lost 20 pounds no matter what I eat and I feel tired. Hepatitis tests were all negative and repeated twice. My MD says he is not worrying since they are just about 40 points too high-but he did stop my ZOCOR to see if that was doing it-do not know yet will have lab repeated tomorrow. I am an extremely anxious/panic attacks person and all I can read online are scary things about this. I am going to ask very intense questions at Dr tomorrow;Am tired suffering with bad nerves. Keep in touch. Dr also says could be the Tylenol I took that month but that Advil was ok. Said infections also casue high liver enzymes. Internet keeps saying cirhhosis of the liver
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...