Hi! I have had several of the symptoms associated to lupus and my nephrologists have been trying to pin point what I have for over five years. I am 28 years old and have 2 children 7 and 5. My husband and I both would like to have another child. The only thing I have gotten from doctors is "so are 2 kids enough for you?" I have asked several times how damaging it would be to have a third and can not get an answer. Have any of you been pregnant after you found that you had lupus. If yes what could I expect in the event I were to get pregnant? Thank you all for you feed back.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 10th, 2004
Experienced User
There are a number of things that can happen when you get pregnant and you have lupus.

Of course, I have **never** been pregnant, but I do have lupus.

One: you will have a great pregnancy without any difficulties.
Two: you will have a great pregnancy, and after child-birth you will have serious flares.
Three: you will have an awful pregnancy (complete with flares) and the birth and afterwards will be perfectly fine.
Four: if you have lupus -- you ***do*** risk passing the disease along to your child.

It has not been proven that lupus is hereditary. However, I do know of a few individuals who have passed it on to their children.

I have also heard people with situations like #1. There were also people who had situations almost like #1 but ended up having to have emergency kidney surgery and spent the rest of their time hunched over, then had the baby, then quit working.

The best thing for you to do is ask a rheumatologist. Which doctors keep asking you if you are having another child? Are they savvy in the knowledge of lupus? If they're not -- and some doctors are not -- then you should ask the right people.

You can also check out www.Lupus.Org. It will give you several other links to check out.

Clarebear
|

I have had 2 sets of biopsies neither of which can pinpoint what I have. I am not having the joint problem or the rashes. I have kidney problems, accompinied by high bp and a great deal of swelling. The doctors that I am seeing are nephrologists. I have gone through the steroid and chemo round once already.
|

Experienced User
Hmmm.
How many neph. Have you seen? Do you have a team or just one? Have they suggested seeing a rheumatologist?

Clarebear
|

replied September 11th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Welcome!

I'd just add one thing: have you seen a Dr. That specializes in high-risk pregnancies?

Hugs,
ladybrannon
|

replied September 11th, 2004
I am on my second team. I was being seen at the cleveland clinic first and now am at vanderbilt. My biopsies have been all over this country. So far I have one stran that is off from having lupus nephritis. Which is what prompted them to treat me as if I had lupus. With the initial two doses of cytoxin I responded really well. After that I leveled out and the regressed. I have another apt. At the end of the month to go back. I will approach this again then. They have no reason to send me to a rhuematologist, I don't suffer the joint problems. All of my symptons are showing in kidney related ways. Recently I have been very fatigued and am having the numbness of my limbs, but the numbness is directly related to the emense swelling. In all that they have said what I have is the not hereditary, it is the result of something I was exposed to somewhere in my life. It is difficult to find support when they don't know what you have. I feel like it is lupus or a new mutation mf it. I seen to suffer many of the same thingq that people with lupus do. It is bafflng though because in all the bloodwork I test negative for it and in the two sets of renal biopsies they have not been able to match me to anything.

I appreciate your intrest and willingness to reach out....Alot of other forums that are similar to this seem to almost be clic like.....If I don't have lupus I don't belong in there forum. It is nice to find people willing to swap info.

Thank you!
Laura
|

replied September 23rd, 2004
My mother has lupas and was pregnant twice when I was younger both times she had tubal pregnancies. They finaly had to take them out or something to that affect because she couldnt have anymore children, she was so devastated!
Sorry I dont know how to answer your questions just wanted to share!
Good luck, I will pray for you!
Shannon
|

replied October 27th, 2004
I had 2 beautiful children despite having lupus. My ob/gyn just made sure that she worked with my lupus dr on my treatment, treated me as a "high risk", keeping good tabs on me. I just made sure that I listened to my body, when I was overdoing it, my body told me.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....